Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds like a moray that is used to being hand fed and it’s following you wanting free food.
LOL.. The moray was clearly not happy with us there. I found out later that the other two divers had run into the moray a few minutes previously and mentioned it wasn't very happy.. um yeah...

Sweet Jenny, what in the world did you to to arouse the ire of that lovely, even tempered little green lamprey? (He says in a voice dripping with sarcasm and tongue firmly in cheek) 🙄
lobster and lionfish hunting..

I was setting up to grab a lobster when I look up at this moray streaming towards me. (my buddy says he was yelling at me...) I decide getting in the water column is the best place to get it uncomfortable.. I was about 10' above the reef and I still have vivid memories of gills flared, mouth wide open coming at me. Hitting it with the pole spear shaft had it back off for a minute. Luckily I tied the lionfish keeper to the flag. I attempted to go back down and retrieve it, but the moray came at me again. Slap it again. Then it went after my buddy...
Ok, enough.. we don't need that stinking lobster....

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. Arrived at 0700, on both days. Visibility was same both days 50+ ft, and sea temp of 82f. It was uncrowded on both days.

I had technical issues yesterday so did not have a camera with me. Concentrated on counting fish for the REEF survey and did not pay very close attention to the macro world given the vis and lack of camera. Did the west side on Wednesday. Today I did the east side, its been a while since I have been over there. Maybe not since April, or early May. I would definitely call it a wide angle kind of day. The school of Spadefish that hangs out under the bridge in the vicinity of the sunken sailboat has grown large, well over one hundred individuals. The very large Barracudas from early spring and winter are no where to be seen, only smaller individuals. There is a juvenile Goliath hanging out near the sailboat, unconcerned with the presence of divers. Other observations of note were a group four Bluespotted Cornetfish, a large Kings Helmet, and unidentified Box Crab. Will be back tomorrow for more wide angle observations. Respectively, Black Grouper, Unidentified Box Crab, Juvenile Goliath, Kings Helmet, and Sergeant Majors.

06-06-24 Black Grouper.JPEG
06-06-24 Box Crab.JPEG
06-06-24 Goliath.JPEG
06-06-24 Kings Helmet.JPEG
06-06-24 Sergeant Majors.JPEG

No clue why this took so long? I’m assuming they are doing it now to get them out of there before the heart of hurricane season? Wouldn’t it be better to make this an ongoing enforcement effort?

IMG_7776.png

Wouldn’t it be better to make this an ongoing enforcement effort?
FWC had state funding yrs 1 & 2 for both enforcement & removal after the law that said "go 1 mile & back in x minutes' or it's scrapped. Jupiter kicked in funding 2 yrs ago to clear out both the lighthouse & Burt Reynolds areas and now come by and give warnings to move it. It's like chasing yard ants into your neighbor's yard though, eventually they'll come back. Looks like PBC is now kicking in funding for FWC enforcement.

The conditions today were some of the best I've seen. Temperature & visibility were both glorious. Even areas that are usually mucky, & generally support little more than gafsail catfish, were today home to an interesting assortment of sea life as the clean water rolled in & hung around for longer than usual. If tomorrow is anything like today, it is not to be missed.

Went to the bridge for diving on Friday and Saturday. Visibility on Friday was better than Saturday. 50+ on Friday, something a little less than 50ft on Saturday. There were more clouds on Saturday, so that might have had an effect. Sea temp on both days was 82f. And in a 3mm with a hooded vest by the end of the dive I am shivering, seriously considering going back to 5mm.

For a 0927 high tide on Friday, I started snorkeling at 0700, and the water was blue. Did a REEF Survey while snorkeling the trail. I believe these early morning snorkels when nobody else has entered the water are the best opportunity for something unusual like a Hammerhead, Bonnethead, or a Smooth Butterfly Ray. Seen a few Smooth Butterfly Rays in this fashion but no Hammerheads or Bonnethead. Retruned from snorkeling and entered the westside on scuba. Current was ripping which seemed to keep other divers away for the first 70 minutes I was in the water. Did a REEF survey, concentrated on wide angle "stuff". Was taking so many images managed to freeze the sealife app. Found a total of five Lionfish in the first hour of diving. Three larger ones in the same spot. Notwithstanding their destructive nature, they still make great photographic subject matter.

Saturday was very similar to Friday. While snorkeling I picked up my own personal pilotfish/jack. Not in the habit of takin selfies, but it was the only way I could an image of the fish. Again after snorkeling entered the westside early into a ripping current. The current is not really an issue if you know how to use the bridge pilings strategically. There are dead spots with no current, and areas with counter currents. So you can use the tidal current, and then get it to countercurrent to loop around if there is something of interest.

Both days I spent a lot of time in the vicinity of the rubble pile underneath the fishing pier. Those of you familiar with the area will recall a giant truck tire, 20 ft to the north. I usually inspect the outside of the tire to find Tiger Gobies. And take a quick peak inside usually to get a Cardinal of Flamefish. Yesterday, when I peaked inside there were a lot of Hermit Crabs all sporting Fighting Conch Shells. I guess I have looked and not necessarily seen this, or taken note of it before. It reminded that on reefs I often find conch shells inside Barrel Sponges. The outside of the sponge is rough so the Hermit Crabs can climb the vertical side easy. However was they climb inside they sometimes have a difficult time getting out again. And then, if another one climbs in it makes more difficult to get out. The shape of the tire is different and there is a lot more space inside. But I believe Hermit Crabs climb the sides and then drop into the middlle, and there is no way for them to climb out, first vertically and then upside down to escape the tire. I thought about it for a while. To an extent they are somewhat more protected in there. But it just rubbed me the wrong way that they are trapped in there, even if the there is enough food. Yes it is an anthropogenic intervention, but so is the the giant truck tire. I removed at least a dozen Hermit Crabs placing them outside the tire. They were all the same species Bareye Hermit Crab, with two exceptions, a Blue Eye Crab and White Speckled Hermit Crab. Going forward I will make it a habit to remove all the Hermit Crabs I see inside that tire. Respectively, Barbfish, Dog-head Triton, Pilotfish Selfie, Spadefish, and Wide Angle

06-08-24 Barbfish..JPEG
06-08-24 Dog Trition.JPEG
06-08-24 Pilotfish Selfie.jpg
06-08-24 Spadefish.JPEG
06-08-24 Wide Angle.JPEG

It reminded that on reefs I often find conch shells inside Barrel Sponges... they climb inside they sometimes have a difficult time getting out again.
I've seen this inside barrel sponges also but never considered they can't climb out. Guess I'll lend a hand so they don't die inside next time. Great learning dive report!!

Went to the bridge for diving Sunday, Monday, and today. It was as crowded on Monday as it was on Sunday. Today, the rain kept divers and beach goers away, so the park was mostly empty. Visibility was somewhat diminished from last week but still blue water with 40 feet of visibility. Sea temp remaining at 81f.

In post #3137 (5/24/24) near the end of the dive I observed a Giant Hermit Crab that had no home, i.e. no shell. It was hiding in some debris, but without a shell it would not last long. I got out of the water, drove to the shell store on A1A, and purchased shells. Returned to the park, marked the shells, and left them next to the Giant Hermit Crab. On Saturday on relocated one of the shells with a Giant Hermit Crab in it. However I do not think it was the one I observed, it was missing claws. The one observed on Saturday had claws, and looked to be smaller. I found in the rubble pile under the fishing pier, which would be about 50 yards from where I left them.
06-09-24 Hermit Crab.JPEG

Today there were two interesting observations. A Whitenose Pipefish, and a Dwarf Batfish ( I think). The only image in inaturalist is a specimen image, and another posted by me in Jan 2022.
06-11-24 Whitenose Pipefish.JPEG

06-11-24 Dwarf Batfish.JPEG

The last two images respectively, Cottonwick Grunts, and up close personal Gray Triggerfish. Both favorites of mine.

06-10-24 Cottonwicks.JPEG
06-10-24 Gray Triggerfish.JPEG

I don't know what it is about cottonwicks. I like them too.. Gray triggerfish will taste anything, they are annoying...

Dove the bridge today. visibility was good!

It's probably not uncommon but i was delighted to see a manatee just off the east end of the beach. video:

i was surprised it kept coming closer, need to learn more about how they behave.

Also saw a good sized nurse shark under the east bridge.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom