Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today and yesterday. Yesterday sea temp was 79f with visibility of 60ft. Today sea temp was 80f with visibility of 40ft. The park was not particularly crowded on either day. Stayed on the westside both days. Did REEF fish counts on both days, 70 species and 71 species respectively. Observed a small juvenile Black Grouper, multiple Shad/Grass Porgy, and tiny Commensal Crabs in association with Slate Pencil Urchins. Found a Spotted Scorpionfish with cirri so big they look like bunny ears, and the most orange Polka-dot Batfish I have seen. Respectively, Saddle Blenny, Bunny Ears, Turtle Skull, Polka-dot Batfish, Black Grouper, Commensal Crab Video, and Juvenile Black Grouper Video.
05-08-23 Saddled Blenny.jpeg
05-08-23 Spotted Scorpion.jpeg
05-08-23 Turtle Skull.jpeg
05-09-23 Polka Dot Batfish.jpeg
05-16-23 Juvenile Black Grouper.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. The park was not particularly crowded. Visibility was excellent, in the 50ft-60ft range. Sea temp was 80f. The first image I have posted below is an example of the visibility under the pier. The pier pilings are 33ft apart ( I have measured this in past), the image is taken from the between the first set of pilings after the ruble pile. The next set of pilings are easily seen, and the next set after appears somewhat hazy but can be made out. So 66ft, not in direct sunlight. So what would you call the visibility? Snorkeled the trail prior to diving, did a REEF fish count of 50 species in 50 minutes. Did the west side on scuba and remained for the duration of the dive, except for returning east to exit. Did a REEF fish survey 76 species in 75 minutes. Observed at least one Spotted Eagle Ray on the snorkel trail and while diving. It was approximately the same size, so I don't know if it was the same individual or a different individuals, I don't really have time right now to compare spots like a fingerprinting identification. On way now to do the bridge again today, it will be nine days in a row of diving for me. Eight at the bridge and one at the Erojacks in Dania Beach. Respectively, Visibility Example, Brassy Chub, Bumble Shrimp, Juvenile Porkfish, Rainbow Parrots, Spotted Eagle Ray Video, and Emperor Helmet Video.

05-10-23 Visibility.jpeg
05-10-23 Brassy Chub.jpeg
05-10-23 Bumblebee Shrimp.jpeg
05-10-23 Juvenile Porkfish.jpeg
05-10-23 Rainbow Parrot.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. The park was not crowded. Visibility was excellent again in the 50-60ft range. Sea temp reading on my computer was at 81f. Quite a fluctuation for one week from 80f down to 76f and back up to 81f. Snorkeled the trail prior to diving. Did a REEF fish survey, 49 species in 50 minutes. Remained on the westside for a 130 minute dive. Did not encounter any other divers until swimming east to make my exit. Did a REEF fish survey of 69 species in 70 minutes. Observed a small Green Sea Turtle, but was not quick enough to video her before she swam away. Respectively, Shad/Grassy Porgy, Mixed Grunts, Zig-Zag Scallop, Frogfish, and Hermit Crab Needs a New Shell

05-10-23 Grass-Shad Porgy.jpeg
05-10-23 Mostly Bluestripe Grunt.jpeg
05-10-23 Zigzag Scallop.jpeg
05-11-23 Frogfish.jpeg
05-11-23 Hermit Crab.jpeg

High tide 3:55 today. By the time I realized I could have put it in my schedule, it was already too late. It would be rush rush rush to load gear, and drive up there to contend with weekend crowds and limited parking. Hope to get up there later this week.

Dove Tuesday evening with @Scuba_Jenny, Joy (can't remember her SB name, she's been inactive for years), and Joy's buddy Kevin. A few of the pics were taken with a flashlight after the strobe I was borrowing decided to stop working mid dive. It's not been my year for strobes... Looks like it has condensation where it shouldn't have any. My strobes should be returning from warranty replacement this weekend. I've been practicing for a while now on how to quickly adjust my camera for non-macro and this applied well to using a flashlight as a light source. We had 3 spotted eagle rays swimming around us for close to an hour. We visited the mustache jaw fish and the pike blennies which are in the same area. Found a few more jawfish and some lancer dragonets, and a seahorse. Jenny found a nudibranch, but without my flash, I couldn't get a good picture. We didn't find any frogfish, and trust me, we were looking. Enjoy the pics! Vis was 40+ feet, and if I had to guess, temp was 80-81 (I haven't downloaded my computer yet). In other words, a great day to go diving.

Mustache Jawfish
No photo description available.

Peppermint Shrimp, not sure which kind (Anker, Sponge, Florida?)
May be an image of lionfish

Longsnout Seahorse, photo taken with flashlights

Some sort of small scorpionfish. Taken using Flashlights

Lancer Dragonet, again using flashlights. Notice the blurring around the sand.

Good diving with ya! Those spotted eagle rays were amazing! Seemed like everytime I looked up, one was passing by..

Dove Tuesday evening with @Scuba_Jenny, Joy (can't remember her SB name, she's been inactive for years), and Joy's buddy Kevin. A few of the pics were taken with a flashlight after the strobe I was borrowing decided to stop working mid dive. It's not been my year for strobes... Looks like it has condensation where it shouldn't have any. My strobes should be returning from warranty replacement this weekend. I've been practicing for a while now on how to quickly adjust my camera for non-macro and this applied well to using a flashlight as a light source. We had 3 spotted eagle rays swimming around us for close to an hour. We visited the mustache jaw fish and the pike blennies which are in the same area. Found a few more jawfish and some lancer dragonets, and a seahorse. Jenny found a nudibranch, but without my flash, I couldn't get a good picture. We didn't find any frogfish, and trust me, we were looking. Enjoy the pics! Vis was 40+ feet, and if I had to guess, temp was 80-81 (I haven't downloaded my computer yet). In other words, a great day to go diving.

Mustache Jawfish

Peppermint Shrimp, not sure which kind (Anker, Sponge, Florida?)
May be an image of lionfish

Longsnout Seahorse, photo taken with flashlights

Some sort of small scorpionfish. Taken using Flashlights

Lancer Dragonet, again using flashlights. Notice the blurring around the sand.

Great shots!!!!!

Hi @MrChen

Very nice flashlight shots! I have taken a few, not that easy
I concur.. hand holding a flashlight pointed at a moving subject while (trying) remaining neutrally buoyant...fun times..
Anybody can shoot a photo. Takes skill to utilize the tools to extract the best possible results. And that means a lot of deleated photos!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom