Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for a 0756 high tide. Used my 5mm instead of 3mm. Sea temp was 76f. Visibility was 30ft with a little bit of green mixed in on the west side, 45ft and blue directly south of the beach. There were a few more people today than yesterday, but nobody over on the westside. Like yesterday, I did not encounter another person until exiting the water near the staircase on the eastside. Did a REEF fish survey, 61 species in 65 minutes. Nothing extraordinary to report today. I did observe a Shortnose Batfish today, a species that occurs with far less regularity than more common Polka-dot Batfish. I think the Shortnose Batfish is mistaken quite often for a Longnose Batfish. Certainly when compared to the Polka-dot Batfish, the Shorthnose Batfish has a much longer nose, and thus the confusion. However the Longnose Batfish has a longer nose the than the Shortnose Batfish especially when measured against the size of its body. The Shortnose Batfish has a dark band, light band, dark band color pattern on the caudal fin. The Longnose Batfish only has a one dark band at the margin. The image below is clearly a Shortnose Batfish. Respectively, Fringed Filefish, Honeycomb Cowfish, Juvenile Spotfin Butterflyfish, Sea Cucumber (species unknown to me), and Shortnose Batfish.

05-04-23 Fringed Filefish.jpeg
05-04-23 Honeycomb Cowfish.jpeg
05-04-23 Juve Spotfin Butterflyfish.jpeg
05-04-23 Sea Cucumber.jpeg
05-04-23 Shortnose Batfish.jpeg

That's a cool looking cucumber.
Good seeing you today after the dive.

35' of vis & 78F, a mile south of the bridge today at high tide.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for 0836 tide. There were a few more divers than yesterday, overall the park was uncrowded. Sea temp up 2 degrees at 78F, visibility was 40ft. Remained on the westside except for when I exited east at the staircase. Did not encounter another single diver for the duration of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey, 61 species in 65 minutes. Found a crazy large slab of cement from the current rehabilitation project. 36" x 8" x 6", there is no way anything that size should be dropped whether on the beach or into the water. Interesting that it is supposedly safe to use the channel in a boat, by I digress. Found another until now unobserved species at the bridge. I believe it is a Windowpane Flounder. It occurs only once out of 185,667 submitted surveys for the Tropical Western Atlantic. That makes five newly observed species this year for BHB. Respectively, Ceriantheopsis americanus, concrete slab, Lionfish, Windowpane Flounder, and Yellowtail Parrotfish.
05-05-23 Ceriantheopsis americanus.jpeg
05-05-23 Concrete Slab.jpeg
05-05-23 Red Lionfish.jpeg
05-05-23 Windowpane Flounder2.jpeg
05-05-23 Yellowtail Parrot.jpeg

Arrived at 0715 for 0836 tide.
I drove thru the BHB parking lot about 7:45 and saw your blue truck, but it looked like you were already diving. We were diving with Sandy Sunday's charter today. I was really surprised at all the big 4ft x 4ft slabs of concrete they have saw-cut, removed and stacked up on the construction lane. Great pictures as always!!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for a 0716 high tide. The park was about as empty as it ever gets. I did not see a single other diver in the water or in the parking lot. The only time I saw another individual in the water at all was just prior to exiting at about 0950. Visibility on the westside was about 25 feet with slight green color since the tide had turned, when returning to the eastside via the snorkel trail visibility was 45ft with blue color with green rapidly moving in. Sea temp was a disappointing 76f, I say disappointing because the last time I was diving on 4/26 it was 79f. I ditched the 5mm for a 3mm so I was little cold throughout the dive, even with the hood. Did a REEF survey 67 species in 65 minutes. Those stupid cement blocks with the chains on them are really just dragging the hell out of the bottom. Found a Bumblebee Shrimp, and an Emperor Helmet, In the image the REEF slate is 9.125" inches. Usually the Emperor Helmets do a pretty good job of burying themselves in the sand. Definitely the biggest mollusk I see in South Florida, I guess Florida Horse Conch might be longer but radius wise the Emperor Helmet is bigger. Also thought the two Orangeback Bass I had observed since January had finally moved on to deeper waters, since I did not see either last week. Guess I missed one, because it was in the same spot its been hanging in since then. I do believe the Dwarf Frogfish and a lot seahorses have moved on. Respectively Bareyed Hermit Crab (gotta love those eyelashes), Bumblebee Shrimp, Hogfish, Orangeback Seabass, Emperor Helmet with slate for reference, and Green Moray Video.

View attachment 781950View attachment 781951View attachment 781952View attachment 781953View attachment 781954
Great report

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for 0836 tide. There were a few more divers than yesterday, overall the park was uncrowded. Sea temp up 2 degrees at 78F, visibility was 40ft. Remained on the westside except for when I exited east at the staircase. Did not encounter another single diver for the duration of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey, 61 species in 65 minutes. Found a crazy large slab of cement from the current rehabilitation project. 36" x 8" x 6", there is no way anything that size should be dropped whether on the beach or into the water. Interesting that it is supposedly safe to use the channel in a boat, by I digress. Found another until now unobserved species at the bridge. I believe it is a Windowpane Flounder. It occurs only once out of 185,667 submitted surveys for the Tropical Western Atlantic. That makes five newly observed species this year for BHB. Respectively, Ceriantheopsis americanus, concrete slab, Lionfish, Windowpane Flounder, and Yellowtail Parrotfish.
View attachment 782272View attachment 782273View attachment 782274View attachment 782275View attachment 782276
Went this morning. Saw a couple of octopus, two spotted Eagle rays, a pike Blenny, three mantis shrimp. Lots of particles in the water. Felt cold. My computer said 77F.

Holy crud! the place was peoply today!!!! Everywhere I looked I saw divers. Snorkelers with scooters. Classes.
Twice I found a couple classes doing drills. I will say, I am not upset. The instructor took them AWAY from most people, in the sand, south of the channel, and the second class (same group?) far north of the bridge. Kudos to that instructor!

3 spotted eagle rays, a tarpon that looked lost, few octos, the moustache jawfish, other jawfish, sailfin blennies.. and all the regulars.

Good to finally meet Scuba-Jenny.

Was at BHB, today, too, with an excellent photographer from PVD. Hopefully it will result in my posting of better photos.

High points: two fat sea horses in different areas, 5 frogfish (fat mamas ready to spawn), plenty of octopus, the spotted Eagle rays and the lost Tarpon, Sea Robin, a red Dushia Flabellina (will post a photo tomorrow) and two Caulerpa Elysia. Impossible for me to ever find—but the photographer did. Very fun and long dive. We are lucky to have that gem of a place.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom