Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good meeting you too, Catito. Glad you had a good dive!

Went today. Oh my gosh... Flailing H. Sapiens was the predominent feature today...

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0730 for a 1000 high tide. Park was not crowded when I arrived. Went snorkeling on the trail at 0800 did a REEF fish survey, 49 species in 45 minutes. By the time I returned to my truck at 0850, parking lot was about 85% filled. Put on scuba, and did the west side. Sea temp has risen again, back up to 79f. Visibility was a cloudy 30ft. Did a REEF fish survey 72 species in 75 minutes. Found an as of yet unidentified Blenny in the Labrisomid Family. Interacted with Spadefish for about twenty minutes, and briefly played with blocks (see photo below). Did not encounter other divers until I was about to exit on the eastside 130 minutes after I started my dive. Ran in to @Scuba_Jenny and @MrChen in the parking lot on the walk back to my truck. They reported encounters of Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras type crowds on the eastside. Respectfully, Atlantic Spadefish, Barbfish, Uidentified Blenny, Unidentified Blenny, "Playing With Blocks", and Lobster VIdeo.

Edit: I think it might be a Longfin Blenny Labrisomus haitiensis, seen 4 times out of 185,667 surveys.

05-07-23 Atlantic Spadefish.jpeg
05-07-23 Barbfish.jpeg
05-07-23 Blenny1.jpeg
05-07-23 Blenny2.jpeg
05-07-23 Playing With Blocks.jpeg

Obviously vis was way better on the west side...

It was a mad house of divers today (Sunday 5/7). Dove with @Scuba_Jenny, @SubNeo, and one more (not sure if she's on SB). We ran into @Pipehorse in the parking lot. I forgot my computer in the garage, but if I had to guess, it was 78 degrees. Vis at the start of the dive was great, 30+ feet. 15 minutes later, a storm of silt dropped it in half and lower at times. I really wish dive instructors would keep their OW divers off the bottom or move somewhere where they don't silt up the entire place.

Anyways, here are some pics. I dialed down the opaqueness of my signature, so hopefully my pics don't get pulled down.

Juvenile Searobin?
May be an image of lionfish

No photo description available.

May be an image of text

Good diving with @MrChen , @SubNeo , and seeing @Pipehorse . My buddy is not on SB. Nice photos, Peter and Christopher. The yellow seahorse, on the snout is an injury that seems to be healing nicely. YOu got a good shot of the small seahorse, mine not so good. Nice flatworm. Agree, it's probably a juvie searobin. @Pipehorse Nice find on the blenny. Very cool..

"Playing With Blocks",
I'm not a cement foodie, but I wonder if some of those 4ft x 4ft slabs they have stacked up would be acceptable for extending the snorkel trail? Some concrete promotes growth and some cement additives inhibit coral attachment. I mean if they are already throwing cores in the water, maybe they can build some shelves with them? Love the picts @Pipehorse & @MrChen

Good diving with @MrChen , @SubNeo , and seeing @Pipehorse . My buddy is not on SB. Nice photos, Peter and Christopher. The yellow seahorse, on the snout is an injury that seems to be healing nicely. YOu got a good shot of the small seahorse, mine not so good. Nice flatworm. Agree, it's probably a juvie searobin. @Pipehorse Nice find on the blenny. Very cool..
Thanks for letting me borrow a strobe!

Thanks for letting me borrow the optical cable!

Some photos from this past week at the bridge.
Harliquin seabass, Barbfish, Freckled Soapfish

Attachments

• 1370 06 freckled soapfish.jpg
    1370 06 freckled soapfish.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 1370 05 barbfish.jpg
    1370 05 barbfish.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1370 04 harliquin bass.jpg
    1370 04 harliquin bass.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 27
Straited Frogfish, Threespot Damselfish, Spotted Eagle Ray, Spadefish, Moustache Jawfish

Attachments

• 1371 11 moustache jawfish.jpg
    1371 11 moustache jawfish.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1371 06 spadefish.jpg
    1371 06 spadefish.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1371 04 eagleray.jpg
    1371 04 eagleray.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1371 03 3spot damselfish.jpg
    1371 03 3spot damselfish.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 1371 01 froggie.jpg
    1371 01 froggie.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 40
Sunday
Chen lent me an optical cable for a strobe I've had sitting around. It worked! Woot! New learning curve as I get to play with all the settings and learn best practices.
The last photo, the Lancer Dragonet, as I was trying to focus and shoot, my buddy shined the light on it. Shoot. Only once I got back home and looked at the photos did I notice it's looking at her (and the light) not me! Literally eyes on the back of its head!

Bobbit worm, Seaweed Blenny, Bluethroat Pike Blenny, "Sunshine", Oyster Blenny, Lander Dragonet

Attachments

• 1372 01 bobbit worm.jpg
    1372 01 bobbit worm.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1372 03 seaweed.jpg
    1372 03 seaweed.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1372 05 pike blenny.jpg
    1372 05 pike blenny.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1372 07 sunshine.jpg
    1372 07 sunshine.jpg