Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Except for the very heartly, willing to negotiate access to diving, I would have to agree with my friend @Divin'Papaw I hope that @Pipehorse is one of those hearty individuals, as I would miss his reports dearly and vicariously diving the BHB with him.
And I forgot to mention how much I have learned from reading the BHB posts by @Pipehorse, thank you very much :clapping:

Some of you might not know that he is the leading surveyor for REEF for the Tropical Western Atlantic, with more than 4200 surveys!

And I forgot to mention how much I have learned from reading the BHB posts by @Pipehorse, thank you very much :clapping:

Some of you might not know that he is the leading surveyor for REEF for the Tropical Western Atlantic, with more than 4200 surveys!
That's awesome

I'm going to try it...at least once or twice this summer.

I've done walks that far in scuba gear more than once. As much as I prefer the easy access BHB affords, if I really "need" to dive, then the bridge it is when ocean conditions are not favorable.

If anything it will hurt the local dive shops that do classes there and rely on the foot traffic to their shops for fills and equipment.

It will also keep most people away who are not dive nerds.

The lesser number of divers may be good for the eco system that has seen a rise in divers and the stresses they place on the environment over the past decade.

Interesting idea, what would they offer, a one tanker at BHB? I routinely get 2 hours + out of an AL80. Of course, it would have to be planned around high tide, not leaving much time for flexibility. I suppose they could do a tank at the BHB and then a 2nd dive outside the inlet.

Has anyone done a boat dive at BHB and can share the experience?
There have been days where it's too snotty to dive, but it's not really worth it to do the bridge. Really though the only boaters who dive there are those collecting tropicals 'outside' of park boundaries.

I've done walks that far in scuba gear more than once. As much as I prefer the easy access BHB affords, if I really "need" to dive, then the bridge it is when ocean conditions are not favorable.

If anything it will hurt the local dive shops that do classes there and rely on the foot traffic to their shops for fills and equipment.

It will also keep most people away who are not dive nerds.

The lesser number of divers may be good for the eco system that has seen a rise in divers and the stresses they place on the environment over the past decade.

I honestly have little concern with the walk. I used to hike doubles from my campsite and down 3 sets of stairs to dive Gilboa, and then back up after the dive. It was a good workout! I'm in pretty good shape and feel the walk in a single won't be an issue. For me the bigger issue will be the cluster %&#$ of dozens of divers hiking from the parking lot, up the sidewalk or hill, waiting to cross the road, and then waiting to descend the stairs, before then into the water. Combine that with increased traffic backups from half of the bridge being closed. During a busy weekend when beach goers and snorkelers are doing the same thing? That is a recipe for disaster.

How long before someone falls or slips down the stairs with gear on? Hopefully that never happens, but I suspect it will happen at some point.

If I'm able to dive very early morning on a weekend or during the week, I'd do the walk without any concern. If it's a busy weekend ... forget it!

Why not tie a rope ladder in between the W bridge span and the old bridge and go down there? Some of the locals can volunteer to do this (if they come to dive anyways, of course) 1 hr before high tide, then take the ladder back home 1-1.5 hrs afterwards. Or is this spot also closed?

... Really though the only boaters who dive there are those collecting tropicals 'outside' of park boundaries.
Not true. I dive from a boat because it's the easiest way for me to access that spot. I don't even own a slurp gun. The only thing I "collect" is lobsters & I do that elsewhere. Most of the time when I dive the bridge, I'm just there showing an out of town person an easy starter dive, to check their skills before going somewhere more difficult. If others are collecting things they should not, I would hope that they get caught.

I honestly have little concern with the walk. I used to hike doubles from my campsite and down 3 sets of stairs to dive Gilboa, and then back up after the dive. It was a good workout! I'm in pretty good shape and feel the walk in a single won't be an issue. For me the bigger issue will be the cluster %&#$ of dozens of divers hiking from the parking lot, up the sidewalk or hill, waiting to cross the road, and then waiting to descend the stairs, before then into the water. Combine that with increased traffic backups from half of the bridge being closed. During a busy weekend when beach goers and snorkelers are doing the same thing? That is a recipe for disaster.

How long before someone falls or slips down the stairs with gear on? Hopefully that never happens, but I suspect it will happen at some point.

If I'm able to dive very early morning on a weekend or during the week, I'd do the walk without any concern. If it's a busy weekend ... forget it!
True. All that.
I guess we just wait till it all plays out, and hopefully our worst fears will never be realized.

Why not tie a rope ladder in between the W bridge span and the old bridge and go down there? Some of the locals can volunteer to do this (if they come to dive anyways, of course) 1 hr before high tide, then take the ladder back home 1-1.5 hrs afterwards. Or is this spot also closed?
Whole west side will be closed north of the bridge. Diving still allowed to the south.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. I was expecting the whole west side of the beach under the bridge to barricaded off, but it wasn't the case. It is still two lanes in both directions on top of the bridge. I am sure eventually it will be difficult to access the beach, but currently it is a minor inconvenience for divers, more of a pain for the paddleboarders. See the video below for more visual details. Snorkeled the trail and then dove the west side on both days. Conditions were similar both days, 77f sea temp and 30ft of visibility. Ran into @Scuba_Jenny at what I now call the "Dwarf Frogfish Patch" yesterday, seriously the word is out and as many as 8 people will be there at one time, ridiculous. Nevertheless, observed a couple Dwarf Frogfish (courtesy of Jenny) so I returned the favor by pointing out the smallest Juvenile Bluespot Cornetfish I have ever seen. I know I have said this a few times before but I think the school Chub under the fishing pier gets bigger everyday, its got be close to 250 individuals. And just for kicks, there was a nice Barracuda strafing the school in the vicinity of debris pile. However the star of the show yesterday was the Green Sea Turtle that swam by a mere arms length away. Of note today, lots of Atlantic Longarm Octopus, a Banner Goby unfurling its dorsal fin, one lonely Ballyhoo in two inches of water, Belted Sandfish, and Juvenile Inshore Lizardfish. Respectively, Bridge Construction Review Video, Great Sea Turtle, Seahorse, Ballyho, Banner Goby, Belted Sandfish, Juvenile Inshore Lizard, Barracuda on the Prowl Video, Inshore Squid Video, and Juvenile Cornetfish Video.

03-23-23 Green Sea Turtle.jpeg
03-23-23 Seahorse.jpeg
03-24-23 Ballyhoo.jpeg
03-24-23 Banner Goby.jpeg
03-24-23 Belted Sandfish.jpeg
03-24-23 Juve Inshore Lizard.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom