Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I attended the virtual meeting. Content did not veer from the previously outlined plan.

Nearly all question were about scuba diving. Access under the bridge seems highly, highly unlikely, safety due to several ton slabs of concrete being moved above the area was one reason.

There are incentives to finish the project as early as possible, There was some discussion of a disabled access ramp for the crossover and stairs, that also seems unlikely.

Seems bizarre that this meeting was held the day the project started.

I attended the virtual meeting. Content did not veer from the previously outlined plan.

Nearly all question were about scuba diving. Access under the bridge seems highly, highly unlikely, safety due to several ton slabs of concrete being moved above the area was one reason.

There are incentives to finish the project as early as possible, There was some discussion of a disabled access ramp for the crossover and stairs, that also seems unlikely.

Seems bizarre that this meeting was held the day the project started.

Thanks for the update on the virtual meeting. I had planned to attend, but was unable to due to a last minute work conflict. The timing of all of this feels very bizarre indeed. Clearly somebody was caught asleep at the wheel as this project went from delayed to warp speed, seemingly overnight.

ADDITION:

It seems increasingly likely that shore diving at BHB will be almost impossible between now and the end of October. :(

Snorkeling won't be bad as there won't be as many divers or beach-goers and lugging over snorkeling gear isn't nearly as onerous as making that walk there and back in scuba gear.

According to what was presented at the virtual meeting, diving is allowed, but access will be only via the cross walk at the entrance to the park. One of the project managers conceded to talk to the City of Palm Beach about extending the walk signal.

For timeline, the presentation indicated that they hope to complete the project by the start of September, with incentives for the contractor for timeliness. I think the project is allowed to run into October, but in principle they are trying to avoid the peak of hurricane season. Oddly, when asked why the work isn't done during winter, I think the argument presented was that is peak tourist season? I think this is reversed from the peak of beach users, but it was my impression that the local usage seasonality wasn't incorporated in initial planing.

The virtual meeting was information, not discussion. There were project participants ready to handle all the scuba related questions. The answers were all consistent with how we already understood the plan. With the exception of the disabled access ramp, there was no glimmer of hope for other changes, and the likelihood of that happening appears next to zero.

The budget was mentioned several times. If I understood correctly, the current budget is over the initial budget for the project, leaving no additional room for changes to the plans and any further increase in the budget. Apparently, the budget includes incentives for speedy completion. I heard as early as September, but as they say, don't hold your breath.

Except for the very heartly, willing to negotiate access to diving, I would have to agree with my friend @Divin'Papaw I hope that @Pipehorse is one of those hearty individuals, as I would miss his reports dearly and vicariously diving the BHB with him.

According to what was presented at the virtual meeting, diving is allowed, but access will be only via the cross walk at the entrance to the park.

That is a huge BUT. Also factor in the changed traffic flow. Shore diving will be exceedingly impractical. Boat diving will be the way to go. Wondering if we might see charter boats try and get a slice of that pie?

That is a huge BUT. Also factor in the changed traffic flow. Shore diving will be exceedingly impractical. Boat diving will be the way to go. Wondering if we might see charter boats try and get a slice of that pie?
Interesting idea, what would they offer, a one tanker at BHB? I routinely get 2 hours + out of an AL80. Of course, it would have to be planned around high tide, not leaving much time for flexibility. I suppose they could do a tank at the BHB and then a 2nd dive outside the inlet.

Has anyone done a boat dive at BHB and can share the experience?

Interesting idea, what would they offer, a one tanker at BHB? I routinely get 2 hours + out of an AL80. Of course, it would have to be planned around high tide, not leaving much time for flexibility. I suppose they could do a tank at the BHB and then a 2nd dive outside the inlet.

It was just a thought I had. Challenges often times lead to new opportunities for those who think out of the box. I could see an occasional "inshore" charter made available for maybe a 1-tank, 2-hr max dive. Price it at maybe $40-$50 as the distance is limited. Timing would definitely have to be synced with high tide as you mentioned.

Just a thought. It might not be cost effective. Given how much diving Pura Vida does at the bridge currently and the fact that they have two boats, if anyone does this it may start with them.

I've done a boat dive there. There isn't a lot of room to anchor in the area. A few boats can get in & do it, but not 15 or 20. If a large boat, like the water taxi, or a current dive boat, dropped in a bunch of divers at once, that could work. A large number of private boats would be unworkable. A few private boats is OK.

The meeting was frustrating. The moderator would tell the speaker how helpful their answers were, every single time. I'm like, THAT'S NOT HELPFUL, STOP SAYING IT'S HELPFUL! Of course, they couldn't hear me yelling at them :)

I was really confused on the message between safety, hurricane season, and tourism. Hurricane season, from start to end fits within the project timeline, how is this safe? The suggestion to move the project to November satisfied safety and the majority of hurricane season, but not tourism? I'm assuming they are referring to the snowbirds and the driving traffic. Last I checked, there's two ways off the barrier island. I wanted to argue that during the months of March through October, there's a ton of tourism to Phil Foster Park, making their statement about tourism contradictory for the park.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom