Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0735 for a 0845 high tide. Parking lot was crowded, but still plenty of parking for those who wanted it. Entered the water on the west side at 0755. Visibility was 40ft, and sea temp was 77f. Did a REEF fish count 67 species in 60 minutes. Yesterday I found a pale yellow seahorse, today I found a bright orange seahorse. Respectively, Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Gray Angelfish, Highhats, Longsnout Seahorse, and Plumed Scorpionfish.
04-30-22 Bluethroat Pikeblenny.jpeg
04-30-22 Gray Angelfish.jpeg
04-30-22 Highhats.jpeg
04-30-22 Longsnout Seahorse.jpeg
04-30-22 Plumed Scorpionfish.jpeg

Thanks for the photos pipehorse. HOpe to get up there tomorrow..

As always, great photos @Pipehorse. Question for you...how you can you tell a juvenile French from gray angel?
I always think "French Ring". So, the a Juvenile French Angel the last yellow stripe forms a ring around the margin of caudal fin, the Juvenile Gray Angel there is only the stripe at the base of the caudal fin.

I always think "French Ring". So, the a Juvenile French Angel the last yellow stripe forms a ring around the margin of caudal fin, the Juvenile Gray Angel there is only the stripe at the base of the caudal fin.
Ring around the tail.. that's how I tell them apart.

Your seahorse pic, looks like the one I call Big Red..

Today's summary...
A tale of two divers.
Diver 1: I am shooting a sea horse, I get slapped in the head with a fin. Push the fin away. Then head fin slapping's buddy swoops in a shoves the go pro at the seahorse I'm trying to shoot. I put my hand out in the way of the go pro and signal WAIT!!! Head fin slapping diver swims overhead almost kicking the seahorse. I protect it from the wave action as diver passes.
Diver 2: I am shooting a male jawfish with eggs in its mouth. I notice a couple divers hoovering nearby. They patiently wait. I'm not going anywhere, so I motion them to approach and I back off to let them shoot. They do their shooting and thank me.

Your seahorse pic, looks like the one I call Big Red..

Today's summary...
A tale of two divers.
Diver 1: I am shooting a sea horse, I get slapped in the head with a fin. Push the fin away. Then head fin slapping's buddy swoops in a shoves the go pro at the seahorse I'm trying to shoot. I put my hand out in the way of the go pro and signal WAIT!!! Head fin slapping diver swims overhead almost kicking the seahorse. I protect it from the wave action as diver passes.
Diver 2: I am shooting a male jawfish with eggs in its mouth. I notice a couple divers hoovering nearby. They patiently wait. I'm not going anywhere, so I motion them to approach and I back off to let them shoot. They do their shooting and thank me.
Like I wrote in an earlier post, thank goodness, there is only a 2-3 hour window each day for divers, otherwise the sea life would not stand a chance.

No kidding.. the guy almost kicked the seahorse. I heard a seahorse died a month ago I think, when someone stepped on it.
the sheer amount of poor skills and lack of awareness towards other divers has really gotten bad. And every year, I think it gets worse...
Viz, when I started.. first one in the pool :) was 30-40 ft. I look up and viz is dropping to almost 0! Divers flailing on the surface kicking up the bottom..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom