Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tiny blenny is a sailfin.
If you ever want to see a bunch of them, they are all over Hollywood Beach.
Nice!! We were thinking it might be! Very cool.
Definitely planning a return to see some 'real reef' in Lauderdale. Do you see them at the yellow brick road?

Nice!! We were thinking it might be! Very cool.
Definitely planning a return to see some 'real reef' in Lauderdale. Do you see them at the yellow brick road?
Yes, big patch of them.

Some interesting facts on differentiating angelfish
S/he has the Grey/French and the Queen/blue ... many of the others are quite spectacular (indo- pacific / red-sea ....) one can dream :)

A few pics from today curtesy of Nathalie ..

Anyone know what this shrimp is?

View attachment 720576

View attachment 720578

Or this tiny Blenny?

View attachment 720574

View attachment 720573
View attachment 720575
View attachment 720579
Juvenile French Angelfish swim in a manner quite different from juvenile Black Angels. French juveniles, especially very small ones, swim in a sort of weaving undulating series of S curves, while Blacks swim in a more straighforward darting manner. I've watched them for many decades in the Caribbean, and I think the French's swimming pattern may be connected to its cleaning activity. It seems most pronounced when they are about to clean a large fish, and the pattern diminishes as the fish grows larger.

Went to bridge for diving today. Arrived way early for a 1045 high tide. Entered the water a 0929 just east of the east lifeguard stand, to see if there are any Regal Demoiselle present on the snorkel trail, I didn't see any. Did a REEF Fish count 61 species in 60 minutes. I thought found a Dwarf Wrasse in a patch of Green Feather Algae, but not sure because I didn't get a good image, maybe it was just a Green Razor. The standout of the day was a Banded Jawfish. The Banded Jawfish, Mottled Jawfish, Dusky Jawfish, and Spottail Jawfish are difficult to catch out of their burrows, unlike the Yellowheaded Jawfish which hovers above its burrow all the time. Respectively, Banded Jawfish, Longsnout Seahorse, Plumed Scorpion, Spottail Goby, Banded Jawfish video, and Octopus video.
05-03-22 Banded Jawfish.jpeg
05-03-22 Longsnout Seahorse.jpeg
05-03-22 Plumed Scorpionfish.jpeg
05-03-22 Spottail Goby.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0920 for a 1120 high tide. It was not particularly crowded at the park today. Entered the water on the east side at 1005. Visibility was 50 feet, sea temp 78f. Did a REEF fish count 67 species in 60 minutes. Did not take a lot images today. Respectively, Spotted Soapfish without a lot of spots, and a pair of Southern Puffers.
05-04-22 Freckled Soapfish.jpeg
05-04-22 Pair Southern Puffers.jpeg

NIce find with the soapfish! Not a common one!

Juvenile French Angelfish swim in a manner quite different from juvenile Black Angels. French juveniles, especially very small ones, swim in a sort of weaving undulating series of S curves, while Blacks swim in a more straighforward darting manner. I've watched them for many decades in the Caribbean, and I think the French's swimming pattern may be connected to its cleaning activity. It seems most pronounced when they are about to clean a large fish, and the pattern diminishes as the fish grows larger.
Here is an example of the behavior described above.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom