Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well certainly a map showing location of objects would be of use to individuals that have not been there before. Of course if spending thousands of dollars, why not spend a little more and pay for a guide (at least the first dive anyway).
I understand and support the idea of hiring a guide, but are we pretending they don't talk to each-other to where they last saw a seahorse or the octopus to show their clients? Not sure how it's that different, other than you're paying for the info vs freely sharing.

I do understand protecting from collectors and from molesting the critters, just think it's a little bit of a double standard.

I understand and support the idea of hiring a guide, but are we pretending they don't talk to each-other to where they last saw a seahorse or the octopus to show their clients? Not sure how it's that different, other than you're paying for the info vs freely sharing.

I do understand protecting from collectors and from molesting the critters, just think it's a little bit of a double standard.

No, not really. The dive guides at blue haron bridge all know each other, see each other regularly, and all share a common ethic regarding protecting the wildlife. Sharing information broadly on a social network is a completely different animal entirely.

I think you are missing the point. If an individual(s) spend(s) a lot of money to do BHB, i.e. travel, lodging, food, rental tanks, rental gear, and all other expenses but have never been there before, they can flatten the learning curve considerably by spending a little more money hiring a dive guide who has local knowledge because they have been on the sight countless times before. In this way after a dive with a guide a person can then spend the rest of their days looking for cool stuff, instead of trying to figure out where they. You can hire guides that will attempt to put you on a specific animal (generally for photographers) but those guides cost more than a general familiarization dive guide. As far as the dive guides sharing information with each other, I am sure some of them do that, but the point is they don't have to because they already know where everything is likely to be. That's the point, knowing an area where you are likely to find what you are looking for because a guide showed you. Also, while some of the critters and fish at the bridge show a high degree of locational philopatry, there is no guarantee that a particular individual fish or invertebrate will be in the same exact place from one high tide to the next. BTW, I am not a dive guide (except informally for a few friends) so I have no dog in this hunt. However, I have hired guides in different places all over the world (mostly for bird watching) and find it immensely helpful, thusly the recommendation for hiring guides. So the paying for info vs. sharing it for free, because dive guides might or might not share information among themselves being a double standard is a bit of reach, imho.

Honestly, after diving there last week it seems unlikely that the people who would find the information here would be any more of a threat than people going with dive guides. I went with a guide my first time and saw octomom, seahorses, etc., which is great. But over the week I also observed large guided group dives crowding these areas and kicking the heck out of everything, along with many photographers laying on the bottom, playing with sea creatures, etc. So, while I'm sure these guides, photographers, and divers don't represent everyone, I'm not sure that stopping people from sharing things here and telling them to hire a guide to find out really achieves the stated goal.

Actually, after seeing everything last week it seems like nothing short of a miracle that BHB continues to support such a large and vibrant variety of life.

Actually, after seeing everything last week it seems like nothing short of a miracle that BHB continues to support such a large and vibrant variety of life.
I think because there is only a three hour window everyday for divers the sea life has the place to themselves the other 21 hours of the day. If it was something people could dive all day it would most likely be bereft of life.

This is my opinion, and what I strive for, not all guides are alike and I am hardly the best one there is. .... That being said...

I have guided and know of a few guides. The benefit of a guide especially for an out of towner..
A visitor can pick up a map of the area and get a good idea of where they are and have a good dive. However, they are on their own when it comes to boat traffic, the swim zone (all heck breaks loose of you dare stick your head in the water with a regulator in your mouth. !!!), navigating, and a lot of the tips and tricks of our little piece of paradise. And of course the snorkel trail is a default go to.
A decent guide will take you to areas you might not go to alone (say maybe the scaffolding, sunken boats, the west wall) and assist finding critters for you. I've had people excited over an arrow crab... A guide should judge your competency underwater and make the determination if you can handle certain conditions such as throngs of people crossing your path or swimming against current as the tide changes. If I have a noob, or one that is crashing on the bottom I will steer them clear of fragile areas where sea horses might roam.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1040 for a 1236 high tide. Parking lot was getting crowded, but still plenty of parking space available. Entered the west side at 1105. Visibility was in the 60 foot range, with sea temp at 79f. Did a REEF fish count 60 species in 60 minutes. The standout for today was a Barracuda. I know, what is the big deal about a Barracuda? The larger ones sometimes take up a position somewhere and are loathe to move from that position but eventually yield to the larger animal, i.e. scuba diver. The one in the attached photos was different it shadowed me for a good ten minutes, I found it a little disconcerting. For me its always very interesting to sea what variegated sea urchins attach to themselves as they roam the bottom. The one pictured below had the boot of toy figure attached. Lastly with the posts about mapping out the east span bridge, I thought I would share how I estimate visibility. On the west side there are 9 sets of columns, with each set having five columns. The very last set is little different with some diagonal columns in addition to the vertical columns. Each set of columns is set apart 36 feet lengthwise. In the picture below you can see one set of columns clearly, and beyond those you can barely make out the next set of columns. I was between a set of columns when I took the picture. So 36 feet to one set, and 72 feet to the next set. Since the further set is tough to really see, 60 feet becomes a good estimate for visibility. Respectively, Barracuda, Barracuda, Barracuda, Downy Blenny, Lined Seahorse, Mutton Snapper, Purplemouth Moray, Sea Urchin, and wide angle of columns on west side.
04-21-22 Barracuda.jpeg
04-21-22 Barracuda1.jpeg
04-21-22 Barracuda2.jpeg
04-21-22 Downy Blenny.jpeg
04-21-22 LSH.jpeg
04-21-22 Mutton Snapper.jpeg
04-21-22 Purplemouth Moray.jpeg
04-21-22 Sea Urchin.jpeg
04-21-22 Wide Angle Vis Estimate.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today for the seventh day in a row. Will not be going tomorrow, it will be way to crowded. Besides I bought a thirty gallon water tank and 12v water pump, I am going to install in the bed of my pickup truck tomorrow, no more waiting in line at fish cleaning station or shower to get rinsed off. Arrived at 1140 for a 1340 high tide. It was crowded but parking was available for anybody that wanted it. Entered the water on the west side at 1205, visibility was 60 feet, sea temp 79f. Did a REEF fish count 60 species in sixty minutes. Respectively, Frogfish in a current, Scrawled File, White Grunt, and Yellowfin Mojarra.
04-22-22 Frogfish.jpeg
04-22-22 Scrawled Filefish.jpeg
04-22-22 White Grunt.jpeg
04-22-22 Yellowfin Mojarra.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0705 for a 0720 tide. The parking lot was nearly empty. Entered the water at 0720 on the west side, visibility was 60 feet, and sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count 71 species in 60 minutes. Observed a large Goliath Grouper directly under the fishing pier, much larger than the one I observed under the east span last week. Unlike the smaller one on the east span that barely moved, the larger one on west moved off rapidly once I got within thirty feet. Respectively Blue Angelfish, Corkscrew Anemone, French Grunts, Frogfish, and Porkfish with a Black Grouper.
04-28-22 Blue Angel.jpeg
04-28-22 Corkscrew Anenome.jpeg
04-28-22 French Grunts.jpeg
04-28-22 Frogfish.jpeg
04-28-22 Porkfish and Black Grouper.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0715 for a 0804 high tide. A few more people there than yesterday, still a mostly empty parking lot. Entered the water a 0735 on the west side. Visibility was reduced since yesterday at 40ft, sea temp was 78f. Did a REEF fish count 63 species in 60 minutes. Observed three Horseshoe Crabs today. Perhaps not a very good name considering Horseshoe Crabs are more closely related to terrestrial spiders than they are to marine crustaceans. Respectively, beer bottle Spotted Moray, Chalk Bass, Horseshoe Crabs, and Long Snout Seahorse.
04-29-22 Beer Bottle Spotted Moray.jpeg
04-29-22 Chalk Bass.jpeg
04-29-22 Horseshoe Crabs.jpeg
04-29-22 Long Snout Seahorse.jpeg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom