Blue Heron Bridge "Phil Foster Park"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan:
Jack, I live on a boat, and I am offended by your relating me to sub-human detritus...

First off...My name is not jack!! You don't make friends by insulting people or attempt to intimidate them. Let's just say that, if you live on a half sunk little skiff that never leaves port and you get to shore on a duct tape/rubber raft loaded with old nasty milk jugs filled stank water from the park fish cleaning station hose and you smell worse than said fish cleaning station...you might be a boat bum?!?! Do you hold a job or have steady income?? if yes, then relax...you not a bum!! Your "online"..you can't be a bum, how many bums do you know that dive and surf the web!?!?
Call me cold and heartless, but I call it like I see it...some people are just a waste!!
and if you saw what they do to the aquatic enviroment in that area, you would be angry to say the least. I have brought up bag loads of trash from under their so called boats, more like garbage barge. We only have one planet...one ocean, if everyone keeps dumping in it, then we have nothing left. Try not to get too offended too easy, you'll find life is full of offending things and people....like me.

Relax..enjoy life and dive more!!

Eewww...your right, that does sound a bit nasty. All that comes to mind is "caddy shack" with the pool scene, but it was'nt a snickers, that was a baby ruth...I think.

I've missed diving the Blue Heron Bridge. It's one of my favorite dives. I need to plan a trip South.

I was down there last Sept. and the local dive shop said that they did not expect it to be open to divers again. I am really interested in reading some reports and seeing some pics from you guys after the dive. I would like to make it down there sometime soon. Do you think with all the construction that the spot will be as populated with marine life as before?

As mentioned above, I've been there several times since it has been "closed", always diving the small east span and not the main span of the bridge. The marine life is as good as ever. Batfish, sea robins, flying gurnards, octopus, seahorses, frogfish, pipefish, dragonettes, stargazers, etc -- they're all there. Jim Abernethy and Laz Ruda (IMHO) are the kings of finding critters there, but I've even gotten some pretty good shots on my website (www.debersole.com). I'm hoping to dive there again next weekend.

Why has the park been closed to diving? Six years ago, I did a detailed map of the park and dive site for my DM Cert. I was not aware that it has been closed. I really enjoyed the place. We used the park for years to do Open Water cert dives there before heading out on a boat for day two.

I like flying gurnards, they are pretty when they take off. You'll be able to dive there, just don't enter the water in the sailboat ramp or the sheriff will yell at you. Why must they yell? could they not just explain in a calm manner "you are not allowed to be there" why must they get the taser gun and pepper spray out!?! Do you think I'm really going to give them any flack, while still wearing a BC,tank,mask and fins!! Easy fellas..to much "juice" at the gym?? and I don't mean carrot juice either.

SemorBugs:

The bridge was closed for diving due to construction in the park and from debris and sunken boats after the rash of hurricanes in 2004. Now that the area has been cleaned up and the construction about to be completed the plan is to open it back up to diving -- or so I've been told. Like I mentioned, lots of people have still been diving there, but hopefully it will be back to normal and a lot less of a hassle soon.

Doug

Please post if it does open up again, I will be in the area in July and would love to do a dive there depending on the tide times and if I can find a buddy (I will most likley be down there alone).

I am also looking for some good operators in the area, I had been using Rampage, but sadly they did't make it through the 2004 season.

Also if anyone knows how I can find Mike and Nicole Law (use to work on the Rampage) please let me know that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom