Blue Heron Bridge 1/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, we're doing this on Sunday. So far it's 4 of us, none of us have been there before... so 'anyone' that has been to BHB before would be soooooooooooo welcome, of course, same as anyone else that hasn't. :p

I'll be checking here all day tmrw and expecting phonecalls...

Sorry I can't make it, I have dove the bridge often in the last 2 months.... I am headed north to St. Augustine for the weekend. When you get into the park, the best place to park your car is on the south side of the island, near the playground (essentially in the shadow of the bridge). As Wade's page indicates, if you are doing the west expanse of the bridge, you'll enter the beach to the west of the playground. I like to swim over to the fishing pier first and head west under it. About half way down the fishing pier there is a pile of old pilings that house many tropicals, an occasional eel, arrow crabs, shrimp, scorpion fish, young lobsters etc. etc.. You can spend 30 mintues simply hovering over this spot watching the sea life, but watch for fishing lines/hooks and bring shears or a knife to cut the line if you get hooked. At the end of the fishing pier, I either turn south and head to the main bridge, exploring the open space between the structures (I've seen many batfish and flying gurnards in this area) or I CAREFULLY continue west until I get to the barrier wall that separates the boat channel from the diveable area (if you are going to head west from the pier towards the barrier, its not a bad idea to surface at the end of the pier and get a visual on the barrier so you know how far to swim.... if you accidentally start in a northwest direction from the end of the pier, you can accidentally wander into the boat channel... not good). If I head west from the pier, I then head south along the boat channel barrier until I get to the main bridge. Once you hit the pilings for the main bridge, you can explore the pilings around them as you head back east. The main bridge piling that is closest to the barrier wall is really intersting if vis is good. It is almost wall-like with many critters.

I have done one dive on the routes noted above which lasted about 1 hour 40 minutes. If you have extra time, you can swim south from the beach area and find a couple of sunken sail boats (the top of one is visible from the beach) which house tropicals. sometimes you'll find rays, barracuda, batfish, sea robins, in the open sand area. Be careful not to head into the south boat channel and don't let you dive flag drag along any boats that are moored in the area... the owners get honked.

you can surface any time to get a visual just to make sure you have not wandered where you should not be.

sorry I can't join you.... you might want to send a PM to westpalmdiver.... he is familiar with the bridge too. he and I plan to dive the bridge after work on thursday

i'm coming. I have dove the bridge 3 times before. I live in pompano so if anyone wants to contact me about carpooling, give me call at 954.296.6449 I plan to arrive at BHB @12:15. I drive a red PT Cruiser and I carry a big red videocamera with me on the dives.

Thanks for the info!
Planning this dive Monday

etc.. You can spend 30 mintues simply hovering over this spot watching the sea life, but watch for fishing lines/hooks and bring shears or a knife to cut the line if you get hooked.

I'll be there between 12 - 12:30. Diving with William and Tim. Doug, let me know if you're interested in lunch afterwards. I seem to always want something greasy after diving, so probably a burger and fries. QD?

I'll be there between 12 - 12:30. Diving with William and Tim. Doug, let me know if you're interested in lunch afterwards. I seem to always want something greasy after diving, so probably a burger and fries. QD?

hmmmmmmmmmm, let me think about that................:doh2: OK! I'M THERE!!!!!!!!
So it's four of us diving? Or only 3 diving and 4 eating?

*love your signature:D

I'll be there with 2 more... I guess I'll look fo videodude :D

High tide is 1:48 PM. I'll be entering the water to dive the east span right around 1:00 PM... camera in hand.

I was there on Saturday and got some nice pics...

Water temp 72F
Winds from the North (so vis was down for slack tide... expect the same for Sunday)

I only spotted one seahorse on Saturday...

Pictures from Saturday (My laptop fan is on the fritz, so I can't post pics):

Three octos
One seahorse
Sea Stars are back out in force
4 Gunnards
I used 250-300 psi to get a good Eagle Ray pic (Time to catch him and time to recover from the exertion)
Juvi-File Fish everywhere (odd little buggers)...

Quarter Deck on North Lake is fine with me (Tim, as in Netmage? I haven't seen him since ITK '08)

hmmmmmmmmmm, let me think about that................:doh2: OK! I'M THERE!!!!!!!!
So it's four of us diving? Or only 3 diving and 4 eating?

*love your signature:D

It sounds like both Amy and Carmen are coming up on Sunday. You'll have to let me know if you like it enough to come back on Monday for a training dive. The weather looks nice enough that we could try for a site further south.

I'll be in a blue minivan, diving Double 80s and setting up on the west side about 12:20-12:30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom