Blue Angel vs. Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alohagal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scuba Club Cozumel:
Pros:
1. Closer to town if you like to walk instead of taxi
2. More rooms available, means more people, more socializing
3. More DM's, consistent DM staff
4. More food, buffet style for breakfast, dessert included with lunch and dinner
5. Internet accessbile from every room.
6. Offer juice and water between dives. Can grab fruit from breakfast buffet for snacks between dives.
7. Usually have a fun fiesta night every Wednesday, tons of delicious mexican food and pinata on the beach at sunset.
8. More hammocks available...more inviting set up for hammocks.
9. Better locker situation, not as DAMP feeling. More lockers available. Easier to access.
10. Breakfast, lunch and dinner offered 7 days a week.
11. Alarm clock in room. You always know what time it is.

Blue Angel
Pros:
1. More laid back atmosphere
2. Green grass under your feet versus concrete and sand
3. Massage available ocean side
4. Much nicer pool area, bigger pool
5. Nice palapa built over eating area on second floor, feels cooler and nice ocean views
6. Offers twilight dives, afternoon dives, night dives most days. (Sundays excluded)
7. Internet available, but mostly from lobby and restaurant. If you are lucky you might be able to get it from your lanai. Some have gotten from their room, but not as a rule.
8. Provide locks for locker system
9. Tanks of air available 24/7 without checking them out.
10. Awesome shore dive next to sting ray pen. Easier access to shore dive.
11. TV in your room. Could be a pro or a con!
12. Every room has ocean view.
13. Weights always available on boats.
14. Offers water, fruit, and some type of carb during surface intervals.

Scuba Club Cons:
1. Slower boats...adds 1 hour usually to the day. (half hour or more one way)
2. No "twilight" dives like BA. Afternoon dives unusual.
3. Tipping with cash in envelopes at the end of your stay is the norm for waitstaff, cleaning staff, maitre D, DM's the way they do on cruise ships!
4. Bring your own lock
5. Must check out tanks of air before they close at 5:30 or 6pm for shore diving.
6. No TV available. Could be a pro or a con
7. Some rooms no view at all.
8. Given weights at the beginning must take them on and off boat each dive.

BA Cons:

1. Locker system consists of plastic bins, harder to access and feels more DAMP as a result. Water doesn't drain well and collects on the cement floor. Smaller area.
2. Walk to town not as practical. Most people would likely take a taxi after long day of diving. Taxi fare a bit higher to town.
3. Internet access: would be nice if you could access from your room.
4. No dinner service available on Sunday. Need to fend for yourself. And they don't always let you know this.
5. No alarm clock or any other time telling device in room

Last edited:
Also, BA was using "freelancing" DM's last week to cover for DM's on vacation, or who called in sick. Would not give them positive reviews, even though as people on the planet they were wonderful. As DM's they were always in a hurry to get dive done and very hurky, jerky, under water, scurrying here and yonder and up and down. Acted like they were not in familiar territory. I think they had more freelancing to squeeze in.

Thanks alohagal for these. My friend always goes to SCC and he and his family love the place, but looking at your list I think I made the right decision, (al least for me), to stay at BA.
I need to rent a BC & reg/oct during my stay and hope to just keep them the whole time I'm there and dry it in the room/lanai between dives. Maybe even use the same weight belt as well.
Did you find that diving as a single, (at the BA), a problem? I do 90% of my freediving solo, but 90% of scuba with a buddy, although I do find scuba solo very relaxing and I am very comfortable with it.
Did you find yourself using the lockers much as you had a room at BA?
I won't might the walking, at least one-way, to town.
You didn't say how the food compares. Did you enjoy the food at BA?

Again, thank you for your report.............back to reality for you...........or is it.

Thanks alohagal for these. My friend always goes to SCC and he and his family love the place, but looking at your list I think I made the right decision, (al least for me), to stay at BA.
I need to rent a BC & reg/oct during my stay and hope to just keep them the whole time I'm there and dry it in the room/lanai between dives. Maybe even use the same weight belt as well.
Did you find that diving as a single, (at the BA), a problem? I do 90% of my freediving solo, but 90% of scuba with a buddy, although I do find scuba solo very relaxing and I am very comfortable with it.
Did you find yourself using the lockers much as you had a room at BA?
I won't might the walking, at least one-way, to town.
You didn't say how the food compares. Did you enjoy the food at BA?

Again, thank you for your report.............back to reality for you...........or is it.
They specifically ask you not to keep their rented gear overnight unless you use it for a night dive, but if you want to keep the same rig you can probably work that out though they might ask you to to pay extra. I don't know why you'd care whether you had the same weight belt, though.

I don't use the lockers when I stay there; there are drying racks outside every room.

The food at the RendezBlu is excellent, though the menu is fairly short.

You can solo dive from shore at BA (not that I am recommending solo diving); most folks buddy up on the boats.

When I was in the PI, had to assemble them from scratch. got tired of on & off and adjusting, but if they are already assembled then great.

True, there was a couple who used the same weight belt each time and took it with them each time...to avoid that very thing.

However, I noticed for those who used a weight belt...the DM's would ask how much weight one used and would assemble it for them based on their response!

If you need weights after shop closes for a night shore dive...the night manager at the hotel has a key to the dive shop and will get them for you...if you forgot to get them from shop before hand. The desk for the room check- in is just a few feet away from Dive shop door!

Another convenience about Blue Angel.

Diving solo...that was only a problem if you are with DM's who make you surface with the group and you have more air and time than most! Quite frustrating to me. Had a great experience with Raymundo at SCC the whole week I was there. Averaging 60 minutes and more for each dive.

I dove with Jorge at BA the last day...wish I had him on all my dives. I was told by Andrea the last night I was there...the 8AM boats were more advanced divers and the 8:30 AM boats not so much. But, I was on 8AM boats for 4 out of 5 dives. Freelance DM's did not help the situation.

It is a crap shoot. Just get to know the DM's right away, and let them get to know you and try to stick with the one you like if at all possible!

Jorge is the best. We will be diving with him in August. We have stayed at Blue Angel (Caribe Blu) and enjoyed it there.

When I was in the PI, had to assemble them from scratch. got tired of on & off and adjusting, but if they are already assembled then great.
How long before you will obtain your own Weight Integrated BC? I started out with a rental BC and web belt and hated the slip and slide belts. Tried twisting the belts inside the weights, but they still moved.

If I had to dive a web belt, I used keep some of these in my dive bag - only because I bought them when I was new, they don't take much room, and I'd often loan them to newbies. I certainly recommend stainless steel over breakable plastic; had a plastic one break on me once.

$1.25 each plus shipping, and I suggest 4
Aqua Stainless Steel Weight Keepers
View attachment 62026
click for larger pic​

Next, I got an XS Scuba weight belt with pockets. I ordered yellow with 6 pockets but you could chose other: $32 XS Scuba Weight Belt altho the pic kinda sucks. It came with plastic keepers, one of which was the one that broke, so I replace them with the SS keepers, gave the other plastics keepers away on a dive boat, and carry this belt as backup gear - and often load it out too.

As far as the DMs, Jorge is indeed great; we had a problem with him once but no one is perfect. Some prefer Edgar because he is more of a mother hen type. Some prefer Mat and he is certainly good. Some prefer the little guy who is great about finding little things - forget his name. We don't particularly care which as we wander off on our own anyway - as long as we don't get stuck on boats headed for newbie sites.

I have a few weight keepers in my save-a dive kit. I do have my own weight belt for freediving, with weight keepers/6lb. coated sea pearls, but don't plan on traveling with it. I don't have all my own equipment yet. Still renting a BC & reg... I need to do more research on these and probably will have to buy used as they are the big ticket items for me. I'm streched pretty thin now..................
Okay, Jorge, Mat, and the little guy.............and the 8am boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom