Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, did it. I got four Kobalt 24 volt 5 ah, and the “saddles” you can find online. The 5ah are not stock Kobalt, actual Kobalt 24 volt 6ah are about $100 to $110 each, the aftermarket 5ah are two for about $85 including shipping. The saddles are about $18 including shipping. A four slot Kobalt charge station is $100. The four 5ah’s fit EXACTLY into the stock N19 battery tube if you remove two of the threaded rods, then you can still mount the “upper” alum mounting plate so that you have the 1/2 inch bolt to mount the top, still seals perfectly. A bit of wiring, just wire the four saddles in parallel. I added a 30 amp flat fuse to the positive side just to be safe. It runs as strong as ever, but I havent tested the run time yet. Will advise once I have, but even if the runtime is less, you are talking about a $400 solution versus a $900 to $1350 solution plus shipping. As far as the Viper addition four three speeds I’ll stick with adjusting the prop. They say that the Viper upgrade with three speeds is better but with $1350 for batts, $375 fir Viper, screw that I’d get Blacktip Tech instead. They say the wiring might overheat on the brushes supply but I ran it for years and years without that issue, so meh...

When I check the runtime and take it apart to recharge I’ll send pix. Oh by the way I had to add about 2.5 pounds of lead to get it neutral, no biggie, will send pix of that too

Andy Cavediver

Would love to see a pic of this watch/torpedo float setup. :wink:
With the speed of a three-toed sloth on muscle relaxants, ~45 days later I present to thee my Garmin FR35 running watch attached to my torpedo float.

1638801587199.jpeg

1638801649884.jpeg

What a coincidence! I weighed my Tech nose just now and it came out to 2691 also. LOL

Mine has a paracord leash and big boltsnap on it.

I don't think my Tech tube has any tire weights in it, as it was purchased when the original Tech tubes were offered to the original BlackTip purchasers.

With the nose at 2691g (and, I think, no tire weights in the tube) and DeWalt 12Ah batteries, mine is still just a little bit negative at depth, in fresh water.

I am going to take some of the shot out, to get it down to the recommended 2623g. That's just over 2 oz. See how that does.

View attachment 691308
Lol I've been having the complete opposite problem than you guys. My tech came from the factory positive and nose up like a travel. I've had to add many 1/4 oz. tire weights and I still don't have it perfect. Super odd

Lol I've been having the complete opposite problem than you guys. My tech came from the factory positive and nose up like a travel. I've had to add many 1/4 oz. tire weights and I still don't have it perfect. Super odd

Have you weighed the nose by itself (with all the weight it came with)? I wonder if you got one that simply did not have both of the weight plates. From what I have seen, they are supposed to come with lead shot in the nose and 2 kinda thick weight plates.

My new travel nose cone has two thick plates and nothing else

My new travel nose cone has two thick plates and nothing else
The Travel shouldn’t need any weight at all for fresh water, with DeWalt 9 or 12 Ah batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom