Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you get the paperwork for IATA compliance?
The DeWalt 9AH batteries are great and easily under the minimum required ***

See here:

*** Haven't flown with them yet, but the rules as posted above seem logical captain.

Ok so I'm back in Mexico and I had to ship the batteries as the airlines had 0 exceptions for me to exploit. It was fairly painless but worth it. Unfortunately you need to be careful because of the formula they use. A battery cannot exceed 100W hours and the formula is multiplying the battery’s voltage by its capacity in ampere-hours (Ah). If the capacity is shown in milliampere-hours (mAh), divide this number by 1,000 to convert to ampere-hours, then multiply by the voltage to convert to watt-hours.

So even a 9ah won't fly (pun intended) 9X20...

I just shipped my 12's.

They're not 9ah/12ah with the red shield in place. :wink:

I believe they're 3x 3ah or 4ah packs in one at that point.

At least that's how dewalt got around the limitations.

Trying not to feel like an idiot..... I just need to ask... you can have this debate with a TSA agent? To be fair, I read the statement literally and just did the math which would be my fear with the TSA agent. Is there paperwork that has this magical claim of which you speak that I missed? I mean that's awesome honestly.

In case anyone reading is wondering, it cost me $100 US to ship from Austin to Merida and about $20 in "Mexican Tax".

Hey for those who were wondering about the 20ah batteries for the BT, you can find them here.

Thanks

Trying not to feel like an idiot..... I just need to ask... you can have this debate with a TSA agent? To be fair, I read the statement literally and just did the math which would be my fear with the TSA agent. Is there paperwork that has this magical claim of which you speak that I missed? I mean that's awesome honestly.

In case anyone reading is wondering, it cost me $100 US to ship from Austin to Merida and about $20 in "Mexican Tax".
there is an actual form out there somewhere, but I cant find it

Hey for those who were wondering about the 20ah batteries for the BT, you can find them here.

Thanks
So only one of the Explorer 20ah batteries is needed but two of the Dewalts are required -- is that correct? And the 20ah cannot travel?

I used the same batteries to create my own packs: Samsung 21700-50E
Just 2x10 batteries instead of 40, so it's a 10Ah pack. Currently giving me a runtime of 100 minutes, so the estimate of 205 minutes on their pack sounds right.

The websites states that there's a ton of development done on this pack. Waste of time if you ask me. Over the last years, e-steps are becoming more and more popular, and they use the same engine, same battery packs.

One of those companies is Xiaomi and their e-steps use 10 Lithium batteries in series as well. With a good battery management system and a safe charger, for a price that's not even half of that BT-20Ah.

Adapting such a pack for a blacktip isn't rocket science, it just needs an extra cable (the blue one) connected in between the 5th and 6th battery.

Back
Top Bottom