Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally decided it was time to get my self a new DPV so I decided to go with the blacktip. I ordered it strait from dive xtras so i have a few weeks before it gets to me though im bumping into a little bit of an issue. From what I can tell from reading around the most recommended battery for the scooter is the Dewalt 12 AH 20v battery. But it seems like it is just completely out of stock everywhere.

1634663056618.png

Does anyone know if this is temporary or if there is an alternative battery with the same or better specs ? I really don't want to go with the 9AH batteries.

I have the Dewalt 9 Ah FlexVolts and have yet to use more than half the battery (usually only use one bar) in a full day of what is usually 3 dives.

Now the Dewalt 9 Ah batteries DO get about double the off-brand 9 Ah batteries I also bought. Maybe not double, but significantly more.

So I wouldn't hesitate to get the 9 Ah unless you're really sure you need the 12 Ah. And the good thing is the Dewalt 9 and 12 Ah batteries weigh the exact same, so you can get a set of 12s later if need be and not have to reconfigure the weight.

The 9Ahs for me are perfectly adequate for wreck diving and some shore diving. I own sets of both. It all depends on your intended usage.

You may also want to look into the newly released 10Ahs (slightly different weighting than 9ah/12ahs). You can find them bundled for around $350 or if you perhaps need a small lawn mower you could buy the $400 one from Home Depot which actually includes 2 10Ah batteries and a charger.

For me the 12Ahs are minimum of cave diving although I did a lot of dives on the 9Ahs with them. I just personally found I wanted more range and battery reserve with the ability to tow another dive.

The numbers released by Dive Xtras are pretty accurate. Cruising with speeds 3-4 are sweet spot but if you start running speeds 5-8 there is much more draw.

For boat dives i have no concerns over, as im sure the 9ah would be enough. But i had planed on using the dpv for shore dives. The shore dives i do last normally 90 to 120 minutes on average and go no deeper then 25ft. The thing is there a substantial surface swim to get to some of these reefs ~ 0.4 miles (0.64 km) to 0.6 (0.96km) miles at times one way. I was hoping to extend these distances a bit as well as allow for a 2nd person to be towed as needed. The statistics im seeing from dive xtras as well as some of the other people's comments make it seem like the 12ahs are what i would need to keep things within my dive plan.

For boat dives i have no concerns over, as im sure the 9ah would be enough. But i had planed on using the dpv for shore dives. The shore dives i do last normally 90 to 120 minutes on average and go no deeper then 25ft. The thing is there a substantial surface swim to get to some of these reefs ~ 0.4 miles (0.64 km) to 0.6 (0.96km) miles at times one way. I was hoping to extend these distances a bit as well as allow for a 2nd person to be towed as needed. The statistics im seeing from dive xtras as well as some of the other people's comments make it seem like the 12ahs are what i would need to keep things within my dive plan.

More is always better of course but I've done many 2 mile roundtrip DPV dives with the DeWalt 9Ah batteries that were measured by towing a flag (with GPS logger).

Full disclosure: I did manage to completely drain the 9Ah batteries on some of these 2 mile trips by running at speeds higher than 5-6 on the Blacktip. This is one of the reasons I switched over to the 12Ah batteries. There wasn't a healthy enough battery margin for me. Towing a 2nd diver is going to increase drag significantly. I would not recommend doing that with these distances.

When I do these dives I make sure I have sufficient gas to swim back in the event of a scooter failure or have a buddy with a second scooter with enough burn time to tow.

Here are 2 examples. I was towing a flag with GPS recorder. One of these dives is 1.2 miles and the other was approximately 2.1 miles. These were both done with 9Ah batteries.

What about Amazon? I heard they gave good batteries but you would need to add weight to them to match the dewalts.

Just so I understand as I am also in the market to pick up a blacktip.

This model is the 9amp -> DCB609
This model is the 12amp -> DCB612

Is this correct? If so the I will start looking for the DCB612 and share if I find.

FYI

Per the vendor for item 312672912 - Flexvolt 20-Volt/60-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 12.0 mAh Battery (2-Pack) is being discontinued. This item 305345662 - FLEXVOLT 20-Volt/60-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion 12.0Ah Battery is replacing the discontinued batteries and will be available between December and January. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

In the context of OW:

12Ah batts are good for really long cruises at shallower depths where you’re not on-gassing a lot.

9Ah batts are good for deeper dives where you’ll rack up deco obligation and run low on backgas before you get close to running out of battery.

So, think about your intended application and rest easy that you can pick accordingly and not feel like you made a mistake.

Or be a nerd (like me) and get both.

FYI

Per the vendor for item 312672912 - Flexvolt 20-Volt/60-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 12.0 mAh Battery (2-Pack) is being discontinued. This item 305345662 - FLEXVOLT 20-Volt/60-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion 12.0Ah Battery is replacing the discontinued batteries and will be available between December and January. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.
You reached out to the Dewalt directly and received this as a response? or is this answer given from a third party vendor?

December...Dam. Merry Christmas.
In the context of OW:

12Ah batts are good for really long cruises at shallower depths where you’re not on-gassing a lot.

9Ah batts are good for deeper dives where you’ll rack up deco obligation and run low on backgas before you get close to running out of battery.

So, think about your intended application and rest easy that you can pick accordingly and not feel like you made a mistake.

Or be a nerd (like me) and get both.
I for a fact need those big boys, i cant really just go out buying all those batteries. I rather buy the right ones now even if they will be to much for some dives. i know ill regret it on the dives that do need them if i get the 9ah.

So this DPV only works with Dewalts? You cant use Milwaukee or other brand?

Assuming that worst case Scenario happens and I cant get my hands on the 12ah, anyone have a good resource for learning how to build your own battery packs. I saw that a few people found this as a viable option vs buying the tool batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom