Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI

Per the vendor for item 312672912 - Flexvolt 20-Volt/60-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 12.0 mAh Battery (2-Pack) is being discontinued. This item 305345662 - FLEXVOLT 20-Volt/60-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion 12.0Ah Battery is replacing the discontinued batteries and will be available between December and January. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.

The 305345662 part number looks like a DCB612 - same battery just not in a 2-pack.

So this DPV only works with Dewalts? You cant use Milwaukee or other brand?

Assuming that worst case Scenario happens and I cant get my hands on the 12ah, anyone have a good resource for learning how to build your own battery packs. I saw that a few people found this as a viable option vs buying the tool batteries.
2021-10-20 10_54_17-Amazon.com_ 【Actual 12.0Ah】 CaliHutt 20V_60V_120V MAX 12.0Ah Replace Batte...png
These would work but I can't speak for their quality. They claim to use good quality 21700 cells in the description. Some people have had decent success with third party batteries (Waitley) but I do not have any personal experience with them so I can't comment.

There is a small but growing network of people building 15-25Ah battery packs for their Blacktips. I suspect you'll see a commercially produced solution as some point for those who want longer runtimes.

You can see a few examples posted in some other threads and on the Dive Xtras facebook group.

I'm currently going that route now. If you've never built a battery pack before I would highly recommend paying someone else to do it. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous. It's not going to be cheap unless you already have some of the tools at your deposal.

It's not to say you can't learn it but there are things about the design that make this not the best pack to build for your first battery build. You also would need to decide how you want to mount the battery. Either using existing DeWalt terminals packs or build one build battery and use the Anderson connector at the bottom of the tube

With a 20-25Ah pack you will need to tweak the weighting as these are going to be different from two DeWalt batteries. From what I've seen you should be able to get a 20Ah pack to trim out and be neutral but I think a 25Ah pack may be too heavy but I dont know if anyone has confirmed.

You reached out to the Dewalt directly and received this as a response? or is this answer given from a third party vendor?

December...Dam. Merry Christmas.

I for a fact need those big boys, i cant really just go out buying all those batteries. I rather buy the right ones now even if they will be to much for some dives. i know ill regret it on the dives that do need them if i get the 9ah.

So this DPV only works with Dewalts? You cant use Milwaukee or other brand?

Assuming that worst case Scenario happens and I cant get my hands on the 12ah, anyone have a good resource for learning how to build your own battery packs. I saw that a few people found this as a viable option vs buying the tool batteries.
Home Depot shared that information

This looks very tempting, any one else on here have any first or second hand accounts with these? review I've looked up for there intended use seem hit or miss.

I'm currently going that route now. If you've never built a battery pack before I would highly recommend paying someone else to do it. Lithium batteries can be very dangerous. It's not going to be cheap unless you already have some of the tools at your deposal.

It's not to say you can't learn it but there are things about the design that make this not the best pack to build for your first battery build. You also would need to decide how you want to mount the battery. Either using existing DeWalt terminals packs or build one build battery and use the Anderson connector at the bottom of the tube

Where can I get more detailed information about the in's and out's of this process. I'm not particularly shy about doing a DIY solutions as i have some basic understanding on wiring and electronics though I would want to be sure that i can build it properly as well as test it before I decide to plug it up to a scooter.

This looks very tempting, any one else on here have any first or second hand accounts with these? review I've looked up for there intended use seem hit or miss.
I haven't tried those, I did buy the Waitley 9.0 Ah batteries which many people were recommending in the beginning, they don't last anywhere near as long as my Dewalt 9.0 Ah. I'll be selling them off most likely, it was worth a shot but the DeWalts work better for me. I'd recommend sticking to the Dewalts. Just my two cents.

Problem is,
the knock off batteries are usually lighter in weight, that's the reason they don't last as long (AH),
( the guts have been cheaped out)

If I remember correctly a 18650 batt should weigh like 45-48 grams

I haven't tried those, I did buy the Waitley 9.0 Ah batteries which many people were recommending in the beginning, they don't last anywhere near as long as my Dewalt 9.0 Ah. I'll be selling them off most likely, it was worth a shot but the DeWalts work better for me. I'd recommend sticking to the Dewalts. Just my two cents.
Another great question is would these Waitley 12ah last as long or longer as the Dewalt 9.0ah. They are pretty much the same price for 2 Waitley 12ah vs 1 Dewalt 9.0ah. if I'm going to settle for 9.0ah performance I might as well get it at a discounted price point.

If they are cheap batteries,
always derate them, everyone rates batteries at there best or peak capacity
Unless you get a nice chart with variables, assume that it needs to be debated...
There are to many variables

I for a fact need those big boys, i cant really just go out buying all those batteries. I rather buy the right ones now even if they will be to much for some dives. i know ill regret it on the dives that do need them if i get the 9ah.

Yeah, if only one set of batteries is in the cards, you’ll do well to get the 12Ah batteries if you can find them. If you can’t and you need to get on with scootering, the 9Ah batteries will get you a long ways. You can always kick the first half of the dive and save the DPV for the second half. Just make sure to understand the impact on navigation.

I would NOT scooter the first half and kick the second half…even a disciplined diver can miscalculate the distance-gas equation.

On a general note, maybe I’m a scaredy-pants but I’d take a little extra caution with my dive profiles if using homemade batteries and battery construction isn’t a habitual vocation.

This is a bit of a problem for BlackTip I think. I also need to have the 12Ah option, in fact that range is the reason I am interested in the first place. I can't find the batteries anywhere. No point in buying the scooters if I can't get the batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom