Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right. I think that is more informative than just that you find the 9's to be plenty for a 3-dive day.

I suspect if you did 3 shore dives in FL, instead, the 9's would not be close to enough capacity. They might not even be enough for 2 dives, if you were scootering along a reef in the 40 - 60 foot range.

Personally, I am glad I bought the 12s. Have not regretted them. Have never run them dry in a day, so have only bought the 1 pair of batteries, in the year and half we have had the BlackTips.

True - the nature of the dive makes a huge difference, especially with something like shore diving where you're on the trigger for a long time, should have been more clear about that.

I am curious too how the other brand of 12s compare, but based on my experience with the other brand of 9s versus the DeWalts. My next set though will most almost certainly be DeWalt, just for the weighting reasons, I like having it set and not having to mess with it. This conversation about my normal use of the scooter versus other types of dives with the scooter has me now somewhat leaning towards the 12 Ah just so I have the juice if I need it.

Drained a set of 12aH the other weekend..

Roughly 1:35 on the trigger, speed 4 (diving with a bunch of P2’s)… died with about 12 minutes of trigger time from shore.

Still stand behind that the 45m/min for speed 3 claim is very inaccurate compared to other truer 45m/min DPVs

_R

btw, for those of you using different batteries.. for my DIY batteries I have used stick on wheelweights to get them to match same weight as dewalts etc..also, this maked it a lot easier when adding some other stuff to the scooter (compass/lights/better handle strap) that added weight..I just removed the weight in wheel weights from the DIY batteries :)

Right. I think that is more informative than just that you find the 9's to be plenty for a 3-dive day.

I suspect if you did 3 shore dives in FL, instead, the 9's would not be close to enough capacity. They might not even be enough for 2 dives, if you were scootering along a reef in the 40 - 60 foot range.

Personally, I am glad I bought the 12s. Have not regretted them. Have never run them dry in a day, so have only bought the 1 pair of batteries, in the year and half we have had the BlackTips.

That said, I taught a DPV class on Tue for a student that bought a BlackTip Tech. He hasn't been able to find batteries, so I let him use my DeWalt 12s and I borrowed an SS Magnus scooter to use for the day. My student has ordered a set of the Calihutt 12s that were linked early in this thread and expecting them any day.

So, we shall soon find out how those Calihutt 12s compare to the DeWalt 12s.... :D If they are pretty close and also very close in weight, I might have to order a pair just to have as backups/spares. Of course, the chances that they are really close in weight seems pretty slim. Or... maybe they'll turn out to be identical - just re-labeled DeWalts. That would be pretty awesome at less than half the price of the DeWalts.

Let us know about those Calihutt batteries, from what I can tell they are the only ones other then the Dewalts that claim to be 12ah. As i mentioned prior I'm interested in knowing how they compare to the Dewalt 9ah. I'm fairly sure they will not perform neck and neck with the dewalt 12ah but perhaps the 9ah. Another concern i have with those is how many cycles you can get out of them before performance starts to degrade.

This looks very tempting, any one else on here have any first or second hand accounts with these? review I've looked up for there intended use seem hit or miss.

Where can I get more detailed information about the in's and out's of this process. I'm not particularly shy about doing a DIY solutions as i have some basic understanding on wiring and electronics though I would want to be sure that i can build it properly as well as test it before I decide to plug it up to a scooter.
But for an SS N19, isnt the motor a 24 volt? I’m thinking the Kobalt 24 6ah would give faster speeds than the 20 various batteries.....actually the 6ah Kobalt brand 24v 6ah is $100 at Lowes etc, while online you can get knockoff 5ah for about $40 each. Am I incorrect that the N19 motor is 24volts?

But for an SS N19, isnt the motor a 24 volt? I’m thinking the Kobalt 24 6ah would give faster speeds than the 20 various batteries.....actually the 6ah Kobalt brand 24v 6ah is $100 at Lowes etc, while online you can get knockoff 5ah for about $40 each. Am I incorrect that the N19 motor is 24volts?
N19 is 24v. 20s NiMH or if converted to a Venom/Viper its 8s LiFePO4 or 7s Liion.

Most PTB batteries are 5s so you will be going slower and those brushed motors arent necessarily happy at a lower voltage.

The Kobalt 24v units are 6s so you could run them, albeit slower than 7s but still better than 5s.

The problem with converting a unit such as the N19 to PTB is weight. You'll stick a couple PTB units in there and get half of what can be done with a custom pack. The batteries I am building for them are 40ah 1000wh. ~30% more than the packs SS had available...

That looks really cool. What is the deal with charging it? You'll also sell some kind of charger that connects to that Anderson connector?
Packs come with a 5-hour charger, they charge directly through the Anderson connectors. While the PTB mount we have designed is for fast removal, we have found it is easiest to leave the nose on, open the tube near the motor compartment as with all other DX scooters, and charge the battery from there. Since the battery does not have a bulkhead seal like the older X-scooters, we have no issues with charging the battery mounted in the tube.

Packs come with a 5-hour charger, they charge directly through the Anderson connectors. While the PTB mount we have designed is for fast removal, we have found it is easiest to leave the nose on, open the tube near the motor compartment as with all other DX scooters, and charge the battery from there. Since the battery does not have a bulkhead seal like the older X-scooters, we have no issues with charging the battery mounted in the tube.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Sounds cool.

Any idea on what one of these battery packs, with a charger, will be priced?

We're starting to sell BTs through my shop. I taught a DPV class last week and had to let my student use my DeWalt batteries because they couldn't get any batteries anywhere. It would be cool to be able to offer our customers a 20Ah option.... Especially if it's actually available.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Sounds cool.

Any idea on what one of these battery packs, with a charger, will be priced?

We're starting to sell BTs through my shop. I taught a DPV class last week and had to let my student use my DeWalt batteries because they couldn't get any batteries anywhere. It would be cool to be able to offer our customers a 20Ah option.... Especially if it's actually available.
send me an email or ping me on Facebook and we can discuss details.

send me an email or ping me on Facebook and we can discuss details.

Me thinking about this 20ah battery in the middle of work......

homer-the-simpsons.gif

Back
Top Bottom