Question Blacktip 12 AH Batteries ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the packs utilize the PTB mounts but use standard Anderson PP45 connectors for power transmission. 10s4p 21700. Packs will be available in 2 options, Standard BMS, and Bluetooth upgrade.

and for those who want zero range anxiety, some of the other packs we build are 1500wh packs for the Cuda550+ and we have made a few 1900wh packs for the SS Minnus Valkyrie...

We might invest some time into developing a 25ah or possibly 30ah pack for the BT if space/weight permits. We will not build a pack that does not allow trim and neutral capability.

What does the Bluetooth feature provide?

What does the Bluetooth feature provide?
based on the smart-bms I have checked and will be using for future build..
connect to phone app, app allows viewing each cell voltage (too discover dead/lower charge cells), allows to turn of output (so you could leave battery in the dpv without creep drain), tracking use over time etc..

The BT also allows you to see the current level of charge of the whole battery pack.

"Do I have enough battery left for a 2 hour dive?"

Without BT: "Hmm. I did a 1 hour dive earlier and I was on the trigger about half the time, so.... I don't know. Maybe?"

With BT: "Let me check the app on my phone. Still have 65% of the battery left. Yep. Plenty for a 2 hour dive."

The BT also allows you to see the current level of charge of the whole battery pack.

"Do I have enough battery left for a 2 hour dive?"

Without BT: "Hmm. I did a 1 hour dive earlier and I was on the trigger about half the time, so.... I don't know. Maybe?"

With BT: "Let me check the app on my phone. Still have 65% of the battery left. Yep. Plenty for a 2 hour dive."

This would be a nice feature if I can check it while the battery is sealed in the scooter.

This would be a nice feature if I can check it while the battery is sealed in the scooter.
Like this?
Yes I have done it, without it,it's like flying a plane without a fuel gauge.. kinda a dumb idea,
O know there is one system out there,
the the display is wireless, (no hole through the scooter)
20210902_152754.jpg

Yes, that's what the Bluetooth does - let you use a smartphone app to check the battery status without opening the scooter.

Like this?
Yes I have done it, without it,it's like flying a plane without a fuel gauge.. kinda a dumb idea,
O know there is one system out there,
the the display is wireless, (no hole through the scooter)
View attachment 690482

You know now im curios, the Blacktip has a battery indicator that displays battery level by showing bars but from what i can see it does this by using a relatively simple dot matrix display that's from what i can tell is 12x8 pixels.
1636576193363.png

You would think in the firmware there would be an option to set it to show percentage. Perhaps there's something I'm missing regarding how they battery level is measured.

Do not know how black tip is doing it,

This is what I used in my farallon

C$ 12.18 20%OFF | 20A/50A/100A Digital Meter DC 6.5-100V Voltmeter Ammeter LCD 4 in 1 DC Voltage Current Power Energy Detector Amperimetro Shunt

Maybe for just voltage readings

Use something like this,

C$ 1.77 31%OFF | 2/3/4/6S Battery Charge Indicator Vehicle Lithium Battery Level Meter Li-Ion Module Capacity Power Tester Electric Components

Thicken up the housing by gluing on some PVC that the module fits into, with a piece of lexan that's recessed into the PVC,
Would require some machining, but who knows, maybe a bunch of people would like that modification,
then CNC a bunch would be quite cheap to do,,,

You know now im curios, the Blacktip has a battery indicator that displays battery level by showing bars but from what i can see it does this by using a relatively simple dot matrix display that's from what i can tell is 12x8 pixels.
View attachment 690484

You would think in the firmware there would be an option to set it to show percentage. Perhaps there's something I'm missing regarding how they battery level is measured.
Because 50% of the 12ah battery is nothing like 50% of 9ah. And 50% of the dewalt 9ah is not the same as 50% of the waitley 9ah either. The 1 to 4 bar scale is also very coarse. The bluetooth enabled BMS is the way to go here.

The bar graph works by voltage, percentage I think works by voltage as well, that's why percentage never seems accurate, at least that's how it works with my phone battery,

Back
Top Bottom