Black or Clear, which color Mask skirt is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on clear or black mask skirts? It seems like almost eveytime I see a tech-diver they are wearing a mask with a black skirt, why is this and what is the advantage to a black skirt if there is one?

Not really a 'tech' diver but I do have a black mask.

1) Looks cool
2) you dont get distracted by distorted images thru silicone
3) Looks cool
4) Usually lowest volume masks come that way
5) Looks cool
6) Doesn't UV out and turn yellow as bad as clear (black is most UV stable color believe it or not)
7) It just flat out looks cool (I like my black fins too)

Wannabe's
2) you dont get distracted by distorted images thru silicone

and

6) Doesn't UV out and turn yellow as bad as clear (black is most UV stable color believe it or not)

are the reasons I use a black skirt.

I use the clear to watch for big things like rocks and people when walking backwards. the silicon lets in more light and when I've used a black skirted mask it felt like I was wearing blinders

I like the 'open' feeling of a clear skirt. I can see things though it (kind of) when I'm diving in clear water, and I find that more useful than distracting.

I suspect seeing through the skirt is less of an issue when you're diving in the dark places that tech divers frequent. Besides, if you aren't wearing black, you can't be a tech diver. It says so on page one of the tech diver rulebook :boom:

Anyway, black skirt or clear skirt, there's no way I look cool with my mask on and my mouth full of regulator. Best I can manage is to look wet.

Zept

Black cuts out the distracting peripheral images. Clear lets you see more peripheral images. For underwater photography or any time you need to be focused, black is clearly better (hehe). But for general purposes, clear lets you see more.

I don't have experience in areas where you might have direct sunlight coming down that may cause a distraction, so I can't address that possibility. In the Northwest (Puget Sound), we're lucky to have 20 feet of vis. So unless I'm taking pictures or working on a job I prefer the clear skirt. Of course, you can always buy two masks . . .

Stay wet :dance:

Oh yeah. And there's the 'looks cool' factor to consider as well. Zept: wet IS cool!

Dark skirts prevent sunlight from entering the side of mask, reflecting off the lens and shining back in your eyes. For this reason a dark skirt is an absolut must during snorkeling and the best option when scuba diving in high vis water.

Dammit if I say it makes me cool it must right??? :)

The big one is that after 2-3yrs it won't be yellow and make you think you need to spend more at dive shop.

When I had my high volume clear mask I was continually distracted by a flash of light, this, that, and the other thing (I might be a bit ADD)

I also hated the high volume mask so when I wanted low volume that is what they had on the shelf I bought. I liked that mask, developed a small leak so I bought a lower volume mask and it too came in black

Wannabe, my apologies. I didn't mean to suggest that you look anything but mighty fine in your black mask :wink:. I was only commenting on my own personal uncoolness.

Zept

Black, for the reasons listed above. However, to increase visibility, I chose the Mares ESA. Has 6 lenses, and I can see down and to the sides. The only improvement I would make, would be to make the main viewing area, one large lens instead of two. This would allow an even better field of view.

Back
Top Bottom