Black or Clear, which color Mask skirt is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Color is not the only difference in mask skirts; there is also flexibility. We have had students with unusual facial features (very multiethnic area) & they have an awful time finding a perfect FIT, so flexibility can compensate nicely. My Seavision (coincidentally black) has helped many who can't get a good seal otherwise (and the frame looks identical to some other models).

Definately (IMO) black skirt is better. Less distractions from the side and all that. I used my wife's clear silicone mask one time to try it out & went right back to my black skirt!

Hey no body mentioned a black skirt makes it harder to see that lovely fungal growth that builds up if you are a working DM/Inst. You don't turn the customers stomachs as much with a black skirt.

Before I experimented with a black skirt a few years ago I didn't think I would like it, but now I would not go back to a clear skirt for all the reasons listed in the previous posts.

Also I have read, although I never tested this, that since a black skirt lets in less ambient light your pupils dilate more so you can see better in low light situations like overhead environments.

BTW I'm so cool I have a black mask and green fins. The fish don't seem to mind at all!

Must be nice to dive where too much sunlight is a problem. :wink:

Here in the murk of England most folks go clear skirt as its less claustraphobic. It makes you feel like there is some sun even when the vis is 5 inches. Also you do accasionally see your partners torch or emergency strobe through the skirt

I learnt 25 years ago using black rubber single circular glass masks with nose clips. My first low volume silicon clear mask was a revelation.

I've been diving with Tusa Liberators for the last 10 years. very comfortable, very low volume (important with a rebreather) and bombproof. My original has turned a nicotine brown (but still see through) after contact with my rubnber snorkel over 15 years

Seems to me Black is good in bright conditions and clear in low light.

Back
Top Bottom