Black or Clear, which color Mask skirt is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned lots of masks and my favorites have been low volume black skirted models. As some other folks have posted, I find the light from the clear skirting somewhat distracting.

That said, my last mask was a clear skirted, high volume Sherwood PanVision. I'm hard to fit and it didn't leak (well, MUCH), so I eagerly bought two from some DEMA demo stock about 15 years ago, one in black and the other in clear.

The black one finally started putting "rings" on my face as the neoprene began to break down from all the sunlight abuse. I then went over to the clear skirt model, which finally gave up the ghost on a dive last year. By that time, it was all yellow and fairly opaque anyway (the newer silcone compounds are more stable than mine).

Yesterday, I bought a Cressi Sub "Big Eye" mask and matching snorkel.

It tried it in clear and in black. For some reason the black just "felt" better and my vision in it was just as good as with the clear, which felt a little "distracting" and "glary". (very low profile mask with 18 deg. down angle on lense plates. The field of vision is excellent.). This mask is very similar to my all time favorite, but discontinued model, the Scubapro "Close-Up" (are you listening, ScubaPro? That mask was UGLY, but the best I've ever owned.)

I've yet to dive it, but I'll trying it out in my pool tonight in preparation for a trip to Panama City, FL next week. My only concern is my beard/mustache, since I don't have much volume to flood (I had gotten used to diving with a nice pool of water in my old high vol mask).

I have only used clear skirted masks thus far, and I *think* I like them better. (The problem is, I'm not really sure, since I haven't actually used a black-skirted one.) There was a really nice mask at my LDS that fit my face very well, but it only comes with a black skirt. When I tried it on, the view made me feel like I was "boxed in," or as if I was viewing the world through binoculars (or maybe just through cardboard tubes, since the view wasn't maginified.)

People I know who use the masks with black skirts say that it is good that the world looks that way because it helps them focus more on what they are actually looking at. I thought that it would drive me crazy to use, as I felt like I would not be able to have even an unfocused peripheral view of what was around me, especially my buddy and/or hazards.

Does anyone else get this boxed-in feeling from the black skirts?

otter-cat

i like my black skirt when i am looking at something like a sea Q-cumber it is all i see there is no other distractions in my field of view but that said has anyone tried the Big eyes mask yet . all i can say is wow .

I just bought one. I worked great in the pool, but I'll let you know after I get back from a dive trip in two weeks.

I have a big head (Oh, shut up.) and a beard, so I'm very hard to "fit". This mask, plus the SP "Frameless" were the only two I found that sealed adequately and that cleared my eyes.

My favorite mask of all time was the SP "Closeup" and this mask is VERY similar, with more modern construction.

Ricky

As I mentioned in another thread concerning Cressi Masks, I recently switched from a clear skirted Mares ESA to a black skirted Cressi Horizon.

My experience spearfishing under ledges and wreck structures led me to the black skirt. I noticed that as my mask entered the shadow created by a ledge, my ability to see the fish under the ledge improved dramatically.

Light entering the mask from the clear skirt (and in the case of the ESA, the extra windows) is "extraneous" and causes the pupils to contract which makes it harder to see what it is you are really looking at.

Although there is something to be said for the peripheral vision of the Mares ESA (being able to see a buddy out of the corner of your eye without turning your head very far), the black-skirted Cressi Horizon has superior usable downward field-of-view, lower volume, and IMO, allows for better overall vision.

Once upon a time there were people who's skin reacted to the old rubber, carbon black masks. Then came silicone and the interaction problem went away (non hypoalegenic or some term that looks like that) and clear (stable) skirts were possible, tho some silicone has been known to interact with some facial make-ups (Max Factor etc., not long, skinny, beautiful etc.).

I think it is humorous that the question can be asked as once there were round or oval black masks and the choice was finger pockets or purge valves.

Stone's comment is probably why techies like black since so much of their diving is done with lights and the penetration of light thru the skirt could be a problem.

I like black, I just feel like I see better with black. Always low volume too. I currently use Mares Opera, I like it quite well.

Tom

A dive buddy lost my black skirted mask off the side of the boat (long story). Not having a backup and living in the remote area that I do, my only option was to purchase a clear skirted Aqualung Vera.

I absolutely can't stand it.

The mask is so big that light penetrates the skirt from almost behind, and reflects on the inside of the glass. The result is a bright reflection obscuring my forward vision. I suppose I could have a positive attitude and say that my mask is equipped with rear-view mirror functionality. But, I have a black skirted mask on its way from leisurepro. Too bad it takes 2 weeks to get here.

The others pretty much summed it up... Clear skirts cause undo reflections inside the glass and also cause pupils to close. I liken them to looking out the window at night/dusk with the lights on in the house. It's better to have them off. Black skirts turn off those internal lights.

However, I am curious as to how low volume clear skirted masks perform. My girlfriend is starting lessons and her LDS told her that the clear-skirted Visage wouldn't cause reflection.

They also told her that black-skirted masks weren't for beginners... I can't possibly imagine why. I think they were trying to make a sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom