Black or Clear, which color Mask skirt is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool is good. My favorite mask is one I found while DM'ing an advanced class: It's low volume, with a clear skirt. I like it so much that when the skirt began to crack I bought another one--with a black skirt because I didn't want light distractions. I still dive the old one. But it's familiar. Dive what's comfortable, right? If cool is comfortable, all the better.

It's hard to look cool with snot hanging from your nose, though.

Stay wet :dance:

I have read that the black masks (& other gear) are to make us less visible at night to the lobsters & other nocternal "prey." However, I am a vegetarian & the kelp never sees me coming either way.

I prefer black too. I have an Aqualung Hawaii 2 mask.

as my legs look too weird, I have but one caveat for my students when they go to buy a mask...

Fit and comfort!

There is no one right answer here, and the only way to determine what is "right" for you is to try it on in the pool or in the suds! Me, I tend to like a little black skirt with slits up... oooops, I digress again! Actually, most of my masks tend to have black skirts, except one. I only wear the black ones since they are optically corrected for my vision. Skirt color had nada to do with their selection. But hey, a Manatee always look cool!

Fit and comfort!

I've got a clear skirted mask but I never thought anything about it other than it fits, is comfortable and let's only a tiny amount of water in. I've never noticed this problem of like reflecting off the inside .

Having said that dare I run the risk of being uncool!

Regards

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

That's two Pete...

Or would that be repeat??? Fit and comfort: one caveat with two modifiers...

Definitely cool......

AND.....

When I look Cool.....

Chicks DIG me.:D

Black is said to be better for fishing, enabling you to better focus on a target without those reflections bothering you.

I find that in most cases a clear skirt getting more light into the mask is a positive thing.

Ari :)

black skirts. I have both, and my backup mask is a clear skirt. However, I dive the black skirt all of the time. When your buddy is behind you shining an HID, you will appreciate the black skirt.

Back
Top Bottom