Bizarro thread... Snoring....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
My dive buddy snores.... BADLY...

Anyone have good ideas on sleeping in the same room as someone who snores a LOT, ear plugs don't work well enough (tried, didn't work)...

Other than kicking him out and making him sleep outside the hotel room anyone have ideas ?

Originally posted by JamesD
My dive buddy snores.... BADLY...

Anyone have good ideas on sleeping in the same room as someone who snores a LOT, ear plugs don't work well enough (tried, didn't work)...

Other than kicking him out and making him sleep outside the hotel room anyone have ideas ?

Throwing wet dive gear on a snoring buddy works for me! As a kid I kept a steady supply of shoes next to the bed to hurl at my brother when he started snoring.

Scott:)

As a world champion snorer, I'd opt for your kicking yourself out :)
Then again, I've been banned to the van a time or two myself.
I do carry a good supply of earplugs for others to use who are sentenced to my room; the best ever is earplugs and headphones hooked to a soothing CD.
Rick

Have your buddy use breath right nose strips.. that may do the trick... Only a suggestion...

Barry

if that doesn't work, perhaps a tossing a shoe at the subject.:doctor:

I second solodiver's suggestion of the breathe right strips. I have a sister in law who's a really tiny little lady (~4'10", <90lbs.) but she has severe sinus problems and boy can she snore!

We recently got her some of those strips and now she's almost completely silent. I remember when we'd take trips together I used to always take earplugs and sleeping pills.

Yet another suggestion: a white noise machine. I have no idea where to buy one, but I received one many years ago as a birthday present. It makes a nice soft "whooshing" sound (it's just a plastic enclosure with venting and a small fan inside) that drowns out other sounds without keeping you awake.

Another thing I've found works in a pinch and is similar to a white noise machine is tuning your hotel room radio to a band where there are no broadcasts and let the noise of the static drown out your snoring buddy. This doesn't always work well in more urban areas, because you can't find any empty bandwidth.

In case you couldn't tell, I am an extremely light sleeper!

Chris

Get your buddy to a sleep doctor... no kidding. I am a chronic snorer. I would wake my wife up constantly and she would punch me in the arm. She also noticed that the loudest snores were after I had stopped breathing for awhile. I went to the Sleep Study Lab, had a PPP (partial palatal pharyngoplasty) and I ultimately sleep on a CPAP machine. When they did the study, my O2 saturation went into the "stroke" range as they call it (no, not a DIR thing). Now I actually get rest when I sleep and my memory, while still not perfect, is getting better.

Snoring is a sign of sleep apnea... sleep apnea can be dangerous, even fatal... get the study done to find out if anything needs to be done.

BTW, I have recovered from the chronic pain I had in my right shoulder for years. Now the wife doesn't punch me any more... well at least not for snoring!

I recently had a Sleep Study due to complaints about snoring. The study revealed Sleep Apnea. Another symptom of Sleep Apnea is sweating at night. Tell your buddy to get himself checked out at a Sleep Clinic.

I now use a CPAP machine and it is making a huge difference in my ability to sleep properly. These things look silly, but are a tremendous benefit to someone with this condition.

Now a question of my own for NetDoc, or anyone who knows about this stuff: Is there any problem with diving for a person with Sleep Apnea, who is being treated with a CPAP machine? It doesn't seem to me that there ought to be a problem, but this looks like the place to ask the question.

Back
Top Bottom