Bird VS Airplane.. (graphic .. weak stomach be warned)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True! Who knows now a days! Every day I look outside my office here that overlooks the hangar floor and see airplanes that do not belong to us. I do know that we have fixed a few Navy aircraft before though. However, they were 727's, not anything good.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

We do so in the States too. I expect anywhere in the world where there are significant migratory routes, expecially for large birds like geese and ducks the local air forces and airliners pay attention to those routes. We used to study routes, typical altitudes for different species, typical times of day for their flights etc and modify our flying to minimize crossing paths with 'em.
The problem with TV's is that they go where the dead meat is, and that's highly variable & hard to plan for.
Rick
I remember reading somewhere that airports are using those herder dogs (border collies?) to chase birds off airport grounds so they aren't a permanent problem.

The last thing that went through that birds mind was..............
...............................his a*s! :D

Caymaniac

Engine Tests:

FYI, all jet engine manufacturers are required to test their new engine designs for the ability to withstand bird strikes and still function. Guess how they do it?

They fire a FROZEN, 10 pound (dead) chicken out of an air cannon directly into a running engine!

From the looks of the pictures, they must do something similar for wings, since these planes obviously kept flying after running over the bird.

Hey, that would be a great name for a restaraunt at an airport:
The AirKill Cafe

I guess the bird forgot to...DUCK!

It is kind of amazing how much damage a flesh and blood creature can do to sheet metal. Ain't velocity a pain!

Ken

kwesler once bubbled...
I guess the bird forgot to...DUCK!

It is kind of amazing how much damage a flesh and blood creature can do to sheet metal. Ain't velocity a pain!

Ken
Yeah, and momentum can be a b*tch too!

I have a new found respect and admiration for our brave duck hunters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom