Bio-Filter Moisture System for Reg's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an Apollo reg with a built-in biofilter and I love mine. I suppose it depends on how much you're bothered by dryness during dives. I equalize my ears by swallowing... when my throat gets dry I have trouble equalizing, so for me, it's definitely worth it.

It looks like a great way to grow all sorts of nasty mung in hard-to-reach places.

Terry

medicmatt:
I'm wondering if anybody has some insight into these devices you attach to your reg hose to increase the moisture level of the air you breathe. Do they really work and

It doesn't exactly flood your hose with water - it just raises the ambient moisture of whatever gas you're breathing. After you rinse and dry your gear, it just needs to be opened so you can prep it for the next time. For people who need it - drymouth can be really uncomfortable if you're getting over-dessicated air, it becomes a pretty important piece of gear.
It's a beautifully-machined quality piece of gear. I used one for a couple of years but Apollo didn't recommend it for deep nitrox or mixed gas diving so I eBayed it for about what i paid for it.

MakoMermaid:
I have an Apollo reg with a built-in biofilter and I love mine. I suppose it depends on how much you're bothered by dryness during dives. I equalize my ears by swallowing... when my throat gets dry I have trouble equalizing, so for me, it's definitely worth it.

Larry likes them, which almost put me over the edge to get one, as I also tend to drymouth (now that regs are all plastic. One thing Sherwood did right....)

Before you get one, download the manual and review the cleaning and filling process; what looked good before I read it looked like too much fuss after. Distilled water, filler bottle, daily drying of filter, mold monitoring....)

medicmatt:
Do they really work and are they worth the cost (about $200!)? Here's a link to one i saw in a dive magazine...

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Regulators/Biofilter.htm

I have not used one, but my diving buddy does and he loves it. He has not had a single post-dive headachessince he started using the biofilter. The set-up looks very simple. One thing he told me is that the filter is good for a regular dive for up to 50 minutes, and after that, that air gets dry again. If he's reading, maybe he'll give us his feedback, are you around Tommy?

Conceptually, it looks enticing. Unfortunately, upon close examination, it appears very bulky sticking out of your regulator first stage, on the hose. Proper maintenance is another concern. I think I will wait for a more accomodating new & improved version.

lairdb:
Larry likes them, which almost put me over the edge to get one, as I also tend to drymouth (now that regs are all plastic. One thing Sherwood did right....)

Before you get one, download the manual and review the cleaning and filling process; what looked good before I read it looked like too much fuss after. Distilled water, filler bottle, daily drying of filter, mold monitoring....)

Yea, but if you read the instruction manual on your car you are supposed to check air in the tires weekly, replace your air filter every 5000 miles, rotate tires, get tunups... Me... I put in gas and drive. Now and then change the oil.... Same thing with the bio filter.

I use whatever water I'm drinking.. take the sponge, drop it in and soak it. Screw it together and go diving. Same next dive and next. At the end of the day, if I remember, I'll take the thing out and let it dry on the bed stand... start over the next day.

I did leave mine in once for a month or so while it was wet... forgot to take it out... and the sponge picked up a few spots that didn't look too pretty... so I just chunked the sponge and got another, and back on with my life.

And even if it was more effort than that... ending dives because I can't swallow is really no fun... heartburn, dehydration, discomfort.... I dive to enjoy myself. I want moist air. I use one.

Back
Top Bottom