Big Pelican Cases and Airline Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pw1981

Registered
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people talking about making scuba gear look like something other than scuba gear while traveling. That makes sense.

They also say not to use big Pelican cases for this because they attract attention. This is what I don't get.

EVERY BAG is inspected and the vast majority are opened for this purpose. They KNOW what is in there, so what is the point of not using the best case out there for protection?

I am less concerned about my Pelican 1650 walking off than a regular suitcase... in fact I have been using Pelican cases as luggage for years... I would love to see the airport machines eat one.

That refers to baggage handlers, not inspectors. It would be kind of tough to ripoff a bag while you were looking at it.

Also, with new weight restrictions by many of the airlines, the heavy Pelican cases may cost you quite a bit in penalties. Check with the airlines before you pack.

I got a 1650 when they first came out. First trip the baggage apes destroyed it. To Pelican's credit they replaced it free of charge, and the apes have been unable to destroy the replacement.
With the case weighing 20 pounds and the new tighter weight restrictions I no longer use it though.
Rick

I use mine everytime I fly and dive. The 20lbs is a pain, but with carefully balancing of my two checked-bags, I haven't had a problem....

Rick Murchison:
I got a 1650 when they first came out. First trip the baggage apes destroyed it. To Pelican's credit they replaced it free of charge, and the apes have been unable to destroy the replacement.
With the case weighing 20 pounds and the new tighter weight restrictions I no longer use it though.
Rick

I got tired of lugging around 50 pounds in scuba gear plus all the backup equipment, etc... my new policy is to go for only the lightest and most space efficient equipment out there. And I am moving to a standard roller duffle from target rather than one of the scuba bags. I am going to start a new thread on that quest...

zboss:
I got tired of lugging around 50 pounds in scuba gear plus all the backup equipment, etc... my new policy is to go for only the lightest and most space efficient equipment out there. And I am moving to a standard roller duffle from target rather than one of the scuba bags. I am going to start a new thread on that quest...

We've been using roller duffle from Target but just bought BC's so will have to see how they fit on the next trip (which, unfortunately, is many months away). The fins fit in perferctly though.

I've been traveling with a 1650 pelican for a little over 5 years now, it looks used but I have never lost anything or opened it to broken equipment.

I love em!

It can be a pain during inspections though if you dont use zip ties or a master lock.

pw1981:
I hear a lot of people talking about making scuba gear look like something other than scuba gear while traveling. That makes sense.

They also say not to use big Pelican cases for this because they attract attention. This is what I don't get.

EVERY BAG is inspected and the vast majority are opened for this purpose. They KNOW what is in there, so what is the point of not using the best case out there for protection?

I am less concerned about my Pelican 1650 walking off than a regular suitcase... in fact I have been using Pelican cases as luggage for years... I would love to see the airport machines eat one.

I travel almost every month to someplace around the world diving. This month I have a 10 day cave expedition planned for the Yucatan, in the scrub jungle just south of Merida.

Due to the large amounts of diving, camping, photography and climbing equipment needed for such an expedition I have come up with a much better, cheeper solution to travel boxes.

Its a simple rubbermaid type box that I buy at Lowes or Home depot. It has a large hing on the back and two locking clasps on the front. They come in 3 colors, black, blue and purple. I like the blue the best because you can write on the box with a black marker.

The box only weighs 3-4 pounds and cost $19.99

They last me about 1 year, then I buy a new one and use the old for garage storage.

Pelican boxes are to heavy.

I use the 1650's and love them, but everyone is right, it's heavy. I like the fact that I can put two full sets of dive gear in it and not worry about anything getting broke. Two sets of gear weighs in at 48lbs. Last year I brought two to Cozumel and it contained ALL my gear and my daughters. Like anything else, to each their own, what ever works for you.

Curt Bowen:
Its a simple rubbermaid type box that I buy at Lowes or Home depot. It has a large hing on the back and two locking clasps on the front. They come in 3 colors, black, blue and purple. I like the blue the best because you can write on the box with a black marker.

The box only weighs 3-4 pounds and cost $19.99

They last me about 1 year, then I buy a new one and use the old for garage storage.

Pelican boxes are to heavy.

I agree, the Rubbermaids are a great box, I use one for local trips myself.

Yea, the Pelican is heavier...its about 20lbs empty I think, but it has wheels, and is great for airline travel.

Back
Top Bottom