Big Pelican Cases and Airline Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own three Pelican 1650s. They weight 29 pounds each. Not 20 as some posts have said. With new domestic flight weight limits of 50 pounds this leaves 20 pound of usable weight. This isn’t working for me. Nor do I really need the overkill strength of the Pelican. I’m looking for rolling shipping cases 30” x 18” x 11” but half the weight and strength of a Pelican case. Any ideas?

Old thread alert! :D

the only problem I have had on dive boats is often the pelican cases will not fit underneath the dive boats benches so call ahead and ask the crew before you bring it. When it comes to air line problems taking two 1650 cases to Rhodes Greece last year wasn't a problem and came in handy as having something to sit down on when your shuttle to the liveaboard was four hours late.

In reference to why pelican cases draw attention to theives because people who will steal from you know that if you put it in something so durable it is probably expensive. The other reason pelican cases have the non TSA locks cut off so often is bacause they are air tight and easier to smuggle contraband unless they open and allow a sniff for K-9.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom