Big Pelican Cases and Airline Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been considering buying the Pelican. Has anyone ever had any complaints when bringing one on a boat? I want something with wheels and that will last me longer than a canvas bag.

Ann Marie:
I have been considering buying the Pelican. Has anyone ever had any complaints when bringing one on a boat? I want something with wheels and that will last me longer than a canvas bag.

No one will thank you for bringing one of those monsters aboard a boat. In fact, I'd wager you'd get a number of nasty looks because of the amount of space they take up.

The Pelican is great for keeping gear safe when travellling long distances, but it has very little use onboard a boat other than something for people to trip over.

Now, you could always pack a boat bag in the pelican to use onboard the boat. That's one solution...

JMHO,

Two problems with a pelican
#1 liveaboard crews, as was mentioned, will hate you. There is precious little space on these boats to store everyone's bags as it is.

#2 the weight is more than just expensive. On a Virgin Blue flight in Australia/PNG they refused to accept my dive bag as it weighed. It was one Kilo over!!!! they made me remove a book, some socks and a few other tiny items before they would accept it. There was no "pay the overweight" option-period. It would not have been put on the plane. And that was with a nylon rolling bag. luckily I was able to stuff the removed itewms into my (generous) handbag. Also, be aware that most quantas flights will not let you carry a carry-on rolling bag into the cabin on many flights any more. You have to check it. That adds one piece of checked baggage
I would have been up the proverbial creek if I had a pelican case!

Ditto here.
With the weight of the 1650, by the time I get another 30 pounds into it, I don't have everything packed, and the case is only half-full.

I bought it before my first trip to Coz in 2002 and haven't used it since. Now, I go to Wal-Mart and spend $50 on a cheapo 4-piece set that I view as disposable. I think the set that I bought last spring has two trips left on it before it'll be too trashed to put my gear in.

Totally nondescript... just looks like what it is... three pullmans.
Wing/BP, fins, wetsuit, and assorted goodies in one, clothing in the other. Mask, regs, computer, HID lighthead, and one change of clothes all go in the carry-on.
None are over 40 pounds.

Texasscuba:
I use the 1650's and love them...
Last year I brought two to Cozumel and it contained ALL my gear and my daughters.
And you were able to get through customs OK?

:)

While traveling home from New Orleans to Orange Co. I just got slapped with a $50 fee because one of my suitcases was over 50lbs. Airlines are really starting to crack down!

Ann Marie:
While traveling home from New Orleans to Orange Co. I just got slapped with a $50 fee because one of my suitcases was over 50lbs. Airlines are really starting to crack down!
What airline? How much over 50lbs? United Airlines charges $25 for suitcases over 50lbs (for domestic). They have an max limit as well (I think its 100lbs), but I'm not sure what they do for check-on over the max weight.

Jerry

I go for the rubbremaids. dirt cheap, semi disposable and lockable with cable ties etc. they also dont leak in the back of my truck when they are full of wet stuff.

I was flying American and bringing home a cooler of meat and seafood from Louisiana. The cooler I had was 77 lbs, 27 over the limit. I just knew that I should have broken it up into 2 smaller coolers. Live and learn. The seafood is definately worth more than the $50 I got slapped with. :eyebrow:

Weight is one thing but has anyone had trouble with the 1650 being over 62 total inches (it about 64.3")?

Back
Top Bottom