BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man you just have an axe to grind about Abernathy.
What are you his defense attorney?
How is a boat overhead with divers well below any propellers more dangerous that fishing hooks that snag divers?
Depth there is only about 13ft deep, with lots of inexperienced divers. If you think boat propellers in that environment are a good idea you have no business being an instructor.
How many divers has Abernathy run over vs how many have been hooked my fishermen?
If ever there was a false equivalency. Here's something better, how many of Abernathy's customers have died while diving off his boat?
You just have something really personal against that guy. That much is obvious
I don't know him. Never met him. Its not personal, but I do have a big problem with his colossal arrogance, hubris, and hypocrisy. BTW, what happened to you not loving to bicker and getting out the way of my crusade? Seems like you spend far more time here on scubaboard bickering than you do diving, that much is obvious.

What are you his defense attorney?

Depth there is only about 13ft deep, with lots of inexperienced divers. If you think boat propellers in that environment are a good idea you have no business being an instructor.

If ever there was a false equivalency. Here's something better, how many of Abernathy's customers have died while diving off his boat?

I don't know him. Never met him. Its not personal, but I do have a big problem with his colossal arrogance, hubris, and hypocrisy. BTW, what happened to you not loving to bicker and getting out the way of my crusade? Seems like you spend far more time here on scubaboard bickering than you do diving, that much is obvious.
How much is Abernathy's hypocrisy relevant to this thread?

You are not being forthcoming. There's something more behind your vitriol. I'm just calling it out.

If Abernathy (and others) are not breaking any laws, why not work at getting the laws changed instead of posting here?

I like your projection, btw.

How much is Abernathy's hypocrisy relevant to this thread?
You should go back and read the whole thread, especially the original post, the whole thread flows from Abernathy's hypocrisy.
You are not being forthcoming. There's something more behind your vitriol. I'm just calling it out.
My posts are consistent throughout this thread. I prefer the whole area remain open to divers and fisherman. As it has been since I first went diving there 26 years ago.
If Abernathy (and others) are not breaking any laws, why not work at getting the laws changed instead of posting here?
99% of the fisherman are not breaking any law, yet you and Abertnathy would exclude all the fisherman from using the bridge, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As far as posting about it here, by your logic why respond to anything in this post then? Why did the OP put it here? I don't know you would have to ask him. I am just responding same as you. Thing is you have no local knowledge, and no expertise to add to the conversation. Go back and read the thread, at one point you stated you had never been to BHB and probably never would be, but here you are doing as many posts as somebody that lives 25 minutes away. You are obvious sadly obsessed, despite the fact that you have no local knowledge and no expertise to add to the matter.
I like your projection, btw.
Right, I am projecting, 155 posts in 15 years compared to 6200 posts in 8 years (sure keep telling me how little time you spend here, and how much you spend diving, you can gaslight yourself, but I am not buying). Your avatar name is appropriate, because you obviously never get wet by getting in the water.

You should go back and read the whole thread, especially the original post, the whole thread flows from Abernathy's hypocrisy.

My posts are consistent throughout this thread. I prefer the whole area remain open to divers and fisherman. As it has been since I first went diving there 26 years ago.

99% of the fisherman are not breaking any law, yet you and Abertnathy would exclude all the fisherman from using the bridge, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. As far as posting about it here, by your logic why respond to anything in this post then? Why did the OP put it here? I don't know you would have to ask him. I am just responding same as you. Thing is you have no local knowledge, and no expertise to add to the conversation. Go back and read the thread, at one point you stated you had never been to BHB and probably never would be, but here you are doing as many posts as somebody that lives 25 minutes away. You are obvious sadly obsessed, despite the fact that you have no local knowledge and no expertise to add to the matter.

Right, I am projecting, 155 posts in 15 years compared to 6200 posts in 8 years (sure keep telling me how little time you spend here, and how much you spend diving, you can gaslight yourself, but I am not buying). Your avatar name is appropriate, because you obviously never get wet by getting in the water.
I honestly do not care about Abernathy.

I don't believe that diving and fishing are compatible. I don't believe that the people who have posted as such are lying. I'd be willing to wager a large amount of money that more people have been hooked than have participated on this thread.. I know if I was hooked, I wouldn't bother reporting to law enforcement. In my area, the fishing and diving areas are mutually exclusive. If a diver drifts too close and gets hooked, that's their fault.

You bring up an whataboutism with Abernathy and boating. Okay, work on shutting down boating through that area. But don't deflect.

Your feeble attempts to insult me do not help your cause. Inventing things that I said certainly don't make you credible.

I haven't been hooked. I have had plenty of occasions where my flag line crossed a fisherman's line, and was able to remove the hook without incident. So I wonder did you report the incident to the sheriff's department? Did your buddy report the incident to the sheriff's department? I believe what your saying, but unless it is documented, and documented often by different individuals the authorities that be just see it as one group complaining about another group with little evidence to back it up, and thusly are not moved to do anything, and the status quo remains. Again, IMHO Abernathy's boat moving in and out of the area is exponentially more dangerous to divers than a dozen guys with treble hooks. So just maybe a guy who wants to park his boat in a commonly known shore dive area, when he can just as easily go "offshore", shouldn't be the guy leading the vanguard for not having fisherman use the same area because it is a danger to divers.
You have a valid point. His boat has no right to be in a known dive area. Only thing worse would be if t here were flags in the photo. My biggest fear underwater is not sharks, it's boats. IF I need to do an emergency assent, I don't want to have to worry about boats.
OTOH, Abarnathy seems mostly concerned about himself. I'm not a fan of his from stories I've heard from numerous sources/

I haven't been hooked. I have had plenty of occasions where my flag line crossed a fisherman's line, and was able to remove the hook without incident. So I wonder did you report the incident to the sheriff's department? Did your buddy report the incident to the sheriff's department? I believe what your saying, but unless it is documented, and documented often by different individuals the authorities that be just see it as one group complaining about another group with little evidence to back it up, and thusly are not moved to do anything, and the status quo remains. Again, IMHO Abernathy's boat moving in and out of the area is exponentially more dangerous to divers than a dozen guys with treble hooks. So just maybe a guy who wants to park his boat in a commonly known shore dive area, when he can just as easily go "offshore", shouldn't be the guy leading the vanguard for not having fisherman use the same area because it is a danger to divers.
NO, I did not report the incident. At the time, the sheriffs office was not concerned about incidents such as this until recently. And until somebody is hurt, my understanding is they still are not concerned.
As for my buddy, there is a reporting form now available (google sheets) to input this data. and yes, he filled it out two times, once for each incident.

I honestly do not care about Abernathy.
The amount of time you spent bickering with me on this thread says otherwise, but ok I will take your word for it.

I don't believe that diving and fishing are compatible. I don't believe that the people who have posted as such are lying. I'd be willing to wager a large amount of money that more people have been hooked than have participated on this thread.. I know if I was hooked, I wouldn't bother reporting to law enforcement. In my area, the fishing and diving areas are mutually exclusive. If a diver drifts too close and gets hooked, that's their fault.

Certainly that is a reasonable belief. Nevertheless, banning one group for the benefit another at a public resource doesn't sit right with me, especially when the guy leading the vanguard wants to put his boat in the same area that he wants fisherman banned from (anybody with common sense knows a boat propeller spinning at a few thousand rpm is far greater risk to divers than fisherman with a hook). I am sure those who have been hooked are telling the truth, and I never said otherwise, but unless they file reports and its documented the powers that be will ignore it. Great that in your area diving and fishing are mutually exclusive, it is not the case at this location nor has it ever been, despite hypocrite Abernathy's best efforts.

You bring up an whataboutism with Abernathy and boating. Okay, work on shutting down boating through that area. But don't deflect.
I am not entirely sure what "whataboutism" means. Instead of trying to tell me what to do, why don't you work on having the powers that be have "no fishing" signs reinstalled, since you feel so strongly about it. Contact the Riviera Beach City Council, tell them you are an expert from Seattle and where you come from fishing and diving are mutually exclusive, I am sure they will set up a special hearing just for you. BTW, by your logic every post you made on this thread has been a deflection.

Your feeble attempts to insult me do not help your cause. Inventing things that I said certainly don't make you credible.
Given your insecurity I can see how you got there about the insults. Feel free to put me on ignore or report me. However to borrow a phrase from you , I'm just calling out your lack of local knowledge, your lack or expertise, and your constant bickering over a situation that has nothing to do with you. It is a public forum though, so I am sure you will continue to bicker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom