BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was that his boat I saw anchored today just outside the swimming area on the eastside, where that old cabin cruiser Sue Sez used to be moored? So its ok for him to put his props in area where everybody is diving but the fisherman shouldn't be allowed to fish off the bridge? Why would anybody pay him a plug nickel to dive off a boat there, when they can park for free and dive there? I have seen dive boats anchor off the south west side, when its blowing twenty knots and the ocean has 8-10ft seas, far as I know sea conditions were mild today. The props on his boat are exponentially more dangerous to divers than a dozen fisherman with treble hooks. Why doesn't he take his boat off the shore, if at all.
Why would you make that statement if you were not dead certain that it was him?

Fair question, because regardless of whether it was him today, I've seen his boat in the same spot on other occasions.
so you have pictures to back your claim?

so you have pictures to back your claim?
Well what a surprise, it was there again today. The first picture was taken from about 130 yards away. Notice how distinctive this boat is, blue hull, and a very long bow section from the house. I can't remember seeing one just like it except for Abernathy's. The second image is from 60 yards away, notice the shark moral on the cabin, notice the name Shear Water. I know you love to bicker (by your own admission), so no, I didn't get the registration number and do a public records search to see if there was another boat with a blue hull, long bow section, shark mural on the cabin, name of Shear Water that belongs to somebody other than Abernathy. Yesterday I saw it from way on the west side, about 350 yards away. So yeah I know it was his boat. Now having seen it, you are going to tell me, that it is not instantly recognizable from even a very far distance? "Was that his boat I saw anchored today just outside the swimming area on the eastside, where that old cabin cruiser Sue Sez used to be moored?" I was dead certain it was him. The question was rhetorical. Or perhaps you would like to argue that the image is photoshopped, and that this isn't actually Phil Foster Park, Blue Heron Bridge, in Riviera Beach Florida. Considering your expertise on the area never having been here, and living on the other side of the country. Yeah so go ahead and tell me how a fisherman with a treble hook is so much more danger and risk to divers than this boat moving in and out of an area where people are diving. The idea that the bridge should be shut to fisherman because people scuba dive there was/is stupid and entitled. BTW it remains status quo, i.e. fishing still allowed. Show me the documentation of reports of scuba divers being hooked by fisherman, not a bunch of anecdotes.

Regardless, of whether I have images, it still makes him a colossal hypocrite. He should be offshore, his words not mine.
IMG_1192.jpeg
IMG_1193.jpeg

Well what a surprise, it was there again today. The first picture was taken from about 130 yards away. Notice how distinctive this boat is, blue hull, and a very long bow section from the house. I can't remember seeing one just like it except for Abernathy's. The second image is from 60 yards away, notice the shark moral on the cabin, notice the name Shear Water. I know you love to bicker (by your own admission), so no, I didn't get the registration number and do a public records search to see if there was another boat with a blue hull, long bow section, shark mural on the cabin, name of Shear Water that belongs to somebody other than Abernathy. Yesterday I saw it from way on the west side, about 350 yards away. So yeah I know it was his boat. Now having seen it, you are going to tell me, that it is not instantly recognizable from even a very far distance? "Was that his boat I saw anchored today just outside the swimming area on the eastside, where that old cabin cruiser Sue Sez used to be moored?" I was dead certain it was him. The question was rhetorical. Or perhaps you would like to argue that the image is photoshopped, and that this isn't actually Phil Foster Park, Blue Heron Bridge, in Riviera Beach Florida. Considering your expertise on the area never having been here, and living on the other side of the country. Yeah so go ahead and tell me how a fisherman with a treble hook is so much more danger and risk to divers than this boat moving in and out of an area where people are diving. The idea that the bridge should be shut to fisherman because people scuba dive there was/is stupid and entitled. BTW it remains status quo, i.e. fishing still allowed. Show me the documentation of reports of scuba divers being hooked by fisherman, not a bunch of anecdotes.

Regardless, of whether I have images, it still makes him a colossal hypocrite. He should be offshore, his words not mine.
View attachment 686355View attachment 686356
Naw, your story checks out: About | Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures
But I don't actually love to bicker. So I'll just step out of the way of your crusade.

View attachment 686355View attachment 686356
Abernethy's biggest concern is what benefits Abernethy..... Just ask Dan Volker!

Late to the party..
Yes, I have been hooked. The fisherman intentionally tried to grab my flag, got it with 3 treble hooks. Cut the line, next thing ya know there is an L shaped bracket dangling a few feet above my head. That's not an "oops" that about as intentional as it gets.
My buddy dived there over Memorial Day weekend, and both days had to fend off hooks from the west side..

Late to the party..
Yes, I have been hooked. The fisherman intentionally tried to grab my flag, got it with 3 treble hooks. Cut the line, next thing ya know there is an L shaped bracket dangling a few feet above my head. That's not an "oops" that about as intentional as it gets.
My buddy dived there over Memorial Day weekend, and both days had to fend off hooks from the west side..
That's why everyone (on the bridge) need to be kicked out of the pool.

Late to the party..
I haven't been hooked. I have had plenty of occasions where my flag line crossed a fisherman's line, and was able to remove the hook without incident. So I wonder did you report the incident to the sheriff's department? Did your buddy report the incident to the sheriff's department? I believe what your saying, but unless it is documented, and documented often by different individuals the authorities that be just see it as one group complaining about another group with little evidence to back it up, and thusly are not moved to do anything, and the status quo remains. Again, IMHO Abernathy's boat moving in and out of the area is exponentially more dangerous to divers than a dozen guys with treble hooks. So just maybe a guy who wants to park his boat in a commonly known shore dive area, when he can just as easily go "offshore", shouldn't be the guy leading the vanguard for not having fisherman use the same area because it is a danger to divers.

I haven't been hooked. I have had plenty of occasions where my flag line crossed a fisherman's line, and was able to remove the hook without incident. So I wonder did you report the incident to the sheriff's department? Did your buddy report the incident to the sheriff's department? I believe what your saying, but unless it is documented, and documented often by different individuals the authorities that be just see it as one group complaining about another group with little evidence to back it up, and thusly are not moved to do anything, and the status quo remains. Again, IMHO Abernathy's boat moving in and out of the area is exponentially more dangerous to divers than a dozen guys with treble hooks. So just maybe a guy who wants to park his boat in a commonly known shore dive area, when he can just as easily go "offshore", shouldn't be the guy leading the vanguard for not having fisherman use the same area because it is a danger to divers.
Man you just have an axe to grind about Abernathy.

How is a boat overhead with divers well below any propellers more dangerous that fishing hooks that snag divers?

How many divers has Abernathy run over vs how many have been hooked my fishermen?

You just have something really personal against that guy. That much is obvious

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom