BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually uncfp did not address any of my arguments, nor did you. This is very simple. A few individuals acting in a criminal matter are making things difficult. Law enforcement needs to deal with it.
No I haven’t addressed many of your hypothetical scenarios.

If law enforcement was the simple answer the problem would never have escalated to the level it is at presently.

If it is just a matter of stopping a few criminals and that there is a significant number of innocent fisherman needing to use that section of bridge, self-policing by the fishermen should be a simple and effective solution.

Everything you say is probably correct, but not helpful. Very lawyerly. What do you suggest as an approach to actually solve the problem and permit peaceful co-existence?

I am not a lawyer. I am just extrapolating on the absurd arguments that: a) since diving has a greater fiscal impact locally than fishing, b) a few malicious fisherman are acting in a criminal manner, c)its impossible to catch the perpetrators that: d)fishing should be prohibited. Those arguments are bogus. The problem is a criminal matter. It needs to be solved by law enforcement by arresting fisherman who are intentionally trying to hook divers. Not by regulating law abiding fisherman. PBSO/FWC/Riveria Beach Police I think between three agencies they should be able to handle it.
BTW, I did already suggest this.

No I haven’t addressed many of your hypothetical scenarios.

If law enforcement was the simple answer the problem would never have escalated to the level it is at presently.

If it is just a matter of stopping a few criminals and that there is a significant number of innocent fisherman needing to use that section of bridge, self-policing by the fishermen should be a simple and effective solution.

Sounds like a good solution to me, better than getting government entities involved to prohibit fishing.

In fact, the park DOES close at night, and special permits are required for the biweekly ir so group night dives, tide-dependant of course.
As per @tursiops

Phil Foster Park is open from sunrise to sunset. To make a night dive you must register with one of the operators having a permit (Force E, Pura Vida) and obtain a parking permit for your car. Everyone must be out of the park by 10 PM. You must use a dive flag with a light affixed to the top and need a tank light

I am not a lawyer. I am just extrapolating on the absurd arguments that: a) since diving has a greater fiscal impact locally than fishing, b) a few malicious fisherman are acting in a criminal manner, c)its impossible to catch the perpetrators that: d)fishing should be prohibited. Those arguments are bogus. The problem is a criminal matter. It needs to be solved by law enforcement by arresting fisherman who are intentionally trying to hook divers. Not by regulating law abiding fisherman. PBSO/FWC/Riveria Beach Police I think between three agencies they should be able to handle it.
BTW, I did already suggest this.
So basically, you're saying "do nothing." This has already been placed in the lap of law enforcement. It isn't working, so something has to be changed in order to solve the problem. In the case of the report I made, it was with a PBSO who was in his car in the parking lot at the time.

The rub is that this has been going on for YEARS. Bottom line from their perspective is that they probably think it's not a big deal. Nobody has been killed yet. Nobody has lost an eye and been featured on the evening news yet.

Since what you have proposed is already the current situation, how about you propose some kind of change that might be effective? Either that or stop opposing other folks' proposals if you have nothing to offer.

@Pipehorse

self regulation is naive at best. The simplest solution is to simply not allow fishing from the bridge. No resources are required from LE other to checks whenever they drive by or someone (like divers)!calls 911. The fisherman pays a fine, contributing to the city’s coffers.

Win-win!

...If law enforcement was the simple answer the problem would never have escalated to the level it is at presently.

The current level of law enforcement involvement is not successful. Self policing by the fisherman, as it currently exists, is not successful. It would seem that a new plan/intervention would be necessary, if anything is going to change.

I'm hoping that many emails to Dr Julia Botel jbotel@rivierabeach.org will raise this topic to the level of further discussion.

I wish I had an easy answer, I do not. I thought of signage at the fishing areas stating that willful interference with divers is punishable with XXXX. Practically, I am not optimistic that this would change behavior. Others have mentioned prohibiting fishing from all, or parts, of the bridge. This would be a very adverse outcome for the fisherman. Fishing could continue from old bridge fishing pier.

@Pipehorse

self regulation is naive at best. The simplest solution is to simply not allow fishing from the bridge. No resources are required from LE other to checks whenever they drive by or someone (like divers)!calls 911. The fisherman pays a fine, contributing to the city’s coffers.

Win-win!

Why are you even on this thread? I can only guess you have don't have much of a life. That fishing should be banned is absurd, and a lose/lose for everybody.

You stated you don't dive at BHB, and you probably never will. Have you ever even been to south Florida? The reason I am here is that I dive the BHB 10-12 times a month because its conveniently only 25 minutes from my home and the undercurrent article lead me here. You have no clue of the level of law enforcement in this area, you have no clue of the socioeconomics of this area. There is a little more to this than just diver vs. fisherman. Truly I don't get it. You wouldn't find me on scuba board arguing with you about some diver/fisherman conflict going on at Whidbey Island. And as far as @ uncfnp is concerned I wouldn't be arguing with him over fishing/diving in the Pimilico Sound (if there even is diving in the Pimilico Sound).

Actually I agree with the self regulation being naive. When @uncfnp mentioned it, I thought it was a good way to just stop arguing with you and him. But no you have to have the last word. He is from North Carolina and you're from Seattle, and you here arguing with me about a dive site I've done about 900 times.

And by the way your argument that somehow LE can't handle this problem is absurd. Today there were 3 PBSO, and 2 FWC at the bridge. When leaving the bridge I passed a total of 6 Riveria Beach Police cars along a three mile route to I95. You truly are clueless. By the way I was under that east span, there were no fisherman trying to hook divers. I didn't notice any divers exiting the water with torn BC's, torn wetsuits, or hooks hanging out of their faces. But hey what would I know, I was only there, and you weren't.

No need to respond, though I doubt you can help yourself.

Why are you even on this thread? I can only guess you have don't have much of a life. That fishing should be banned is absurd, and a lose/lose for everybody.

You stated you don't dive at BHB, and you probably never will. Have you ever even been to south Florida? The reason I am here is that I dive the BHB 10-12 times a month because its conveniently only 25 minutes from my home and the undercurrent article lead me here. You have no clue of the level of law enforcement in this area, you have no clue of the socioeconomics of this area. There is a little more to this than just diver vs. fisherman. Truly I don't get it. You wouldn't find me on scuba board arguing with you about some diver/fisherman conflict going on at Whidbey Island. And as far as @ uncfnp is concerned I wouldn't be arguing with him over fishing/diving in the Pimilico Sound (if there even is diving in the Pimilico Sound).

Actually I agree with the self regulation being naive. When @uncfnp mentioned it, I thought it was a good way to just stop arguing with you and him. But no you have to have the last word. He is from North Carolina and you're from Seattle, and you here arguing with me about a dive site I've done about 900 times.

And by the way your argument that somehow LE can't handle this problem is absurd. Today there were 3 PBSO, and 2 FWC at the bridge. When leaving the bridge I passed a total of 6 Riveria Beach Police cars along a three mile route to I95. You truly are clueless. By the way I was under that east span, there were no fisherman trying to hook divers. I didn't notice any divers exiting the water with torn BC's, torn wetsuits, or hooks hanging out of their faces. But hey what would I know, I was only there, and you weren't.

No need to respond, though I doubt you can help yourself.
Boy, I didn't realize I would trigger you to this extent. I didn't realize that I was violating SB's ToS by commenting on a universal issue. And yeah, LE is not going to be there 24/7/365. Your observation of one day or even 900 days are not statistically significant.

But you are right about one thing. I couldn't help myself! :poke::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom