Beware Diver Emporium online retail site!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I'd go to my LDS, tell him I am looking for a DST and the price that I found online. He will either counter with a competetive offer or tell me to get it on line. He will not charge any more to service it because I did not buy it from him. He won't complain about online sellers or buyers. He will continue to treat me well every time I go to his store even if it is just for air.

What would your LDS do?
Mine quoted me a price about $20 above the online price.

I bought from the LDS. One minor shipping headache would make that $20 chump change.

My LDS would probably say to buy online, if they couldn't match that price without losing money.

I own 3 retail stores that cater to both locals and tourists (CO Ski country - and Ft. Lauderdale FL), and we would match prices from internet stores... We even advertise that we do. I usually verify the price, and then weigh the price + shipping vs. the price + sales tax, and come to some kind of agreement. Usually, we just match the price straight up...

Even if we don't make normal margin on something... it's worth it to have a customer for life (so to speak).

Alot of good points to be had by both sides I think. If possible, I think it is best to try a LDS first. You can see it, hold it, and maybe even know who you are getting it from. But some poeple don't have that opportunity. One thing I think is very important to this discussion, and I feel alot of people missed it is simple, "Do unto others". Sure he might have alot of the info on his site, but that does not mean he can act like a jerk to someone that did not see or find it. If he feels the questions being asked are redundant then why didn't he reply with the exact web address where the answers could be found. Maybe send a contact number if they had problems finding the right info. I am not condeming the company, merely stating that if this e-mail is true and unedited there is no excuse. There are ways to deal with redundant questions, and this is not one of them.

mnj1233:
I dont see the correlation between buying a car and scuba shops????? Please elaborate.
Both are businesses - why do I owe a dive shop my business?
mnj1233:
Local shops are not getting rich and most are in the business because they love the sport.
Being in business "for the love of the sport" is not a valid business plan, and again, just because someone is living the dream does not mean I should pay extra for items to support an inefficient or outmoded business mode.
mnj1233:
I dont own a shop, I do run a charter and without locals loyal to our business there would be NO boats that could afford to operate.
I own an online shop, and I don't run a charter. I provide goods - you provide a service. Two different business models.

I started my business after moving back from the US to Australia, and I was simply floored at the price of scuba equipment in this country - a backplate and wing setup cost up to $1600 (about $1200 USD). Why? Because local distributors had the customers over a barrel, and there were no online alternatives in this country.

Scubaroo:
Both are businesses - why do I owe a dive shop my business?Being in business "for the love of the sport" is not a valid business plan, and again, just because someone is living the dream does not mean I should pay extra for items to support an inefficient or outmoded business mode.I own an online shop, and I don't run a charter. I provide goods - you provide a service. Two different business models.

I started my business after moving back from the US to Australia, and I was simply floored at the price of scuba equipment in this country - a backplate and wing setup cost up to $1600 (about $1200 USD). Why? Because local distributors had the customers over a barrel, and there were no online alternatives in this country.

I guess is what it comes down to is ethics. I dont go to a shop and waste hours of an individuals time researching what to buy then buy it on line. As I said before go ahead buy it on-line just quit b......g about it. Dont waste a salespersons time trying on gear with NO intention of buying. This happens and its wrong. Would you spend an hour or two with anyone discussing gear???? I doubt it unless it was a purchase already made thru you.

Service by a real person has value and I will always be willing to pay for service.

Hi! First of all, I want to thank all of you for your feedback. When I posted the first message, I honestly didn't know what to expect. Your feedback was helpful and provocative. I think all of you made some very good points. My dad is in retail (nothing to do with scuba) and he also is caught between providing information and service to potential customers, only to see many of them go to Walmart or the internet to spend their money. My husband and I have bought 95% of our equipment through our LD, including dry suits. We know that unless local shops are supported, they will indeed disappear, and then people who need to touch things or ask a few questions won't have access to the personalized service.

So why were we looking to buy online? Our LD was waiting to have a big enough order to qualify for free shipping before asking for our tanks to be shipped. After six weeks, we began looking for other ways to get our tanks. The bottom line, of course, is service. So we will continue to educate ourselves through the internet and the know-how of seasoned divers. All we can ask is a little patience while we are on the steepest part of this learning curve. I honestly didn't know why we were treated so rudely. Now that I have seen your posts, I can guess, as some of you have, about some aspects of his motivation. Regardless of what set Captain Dave off, though, it is gratifying to know we should expect better treatment from people who expect to do business with us. After all, it really isn't too much to ask...is it?

mnj1233:
I guess is what it comes down to is ethics. I dont go to a shop and waste hours of an individuals time researching what to buy then buy it on line. As I said before go ahead buy it on-line just quit b......g about it. Dont waste a salespersons time trying on gear with NO intention of buying. This happens and its wrong. Would you spend an hour or two with anyone discussing gear???? I doubt it unless it was a purchase already made thru you.

Service by a real person has value and I will always be willing to pay for service.

Here's a thought... How many people go to our site, read our pages and email questions to research products then buy them at a local shop?

scubatoys:
Here's a thought... How many people go to our site, read our pages and email questions to research products then buy them at a local shop?

Yeah Larry.......right! :D Like people are going to go spend 20-30% more!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom