Beware Diver Emporium online retail site!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
Here's a thought... How many people go to our site, read our pages and email questions to research products then buy them at a local shop?
Hmm. I never thought of that. I would still guess it happens quite a bit less than the other way around. . .

Folks shopping with you don't really have to go "waste" someone's time at a LDS, Larry. I understand that you've been known to ship multiple sizes to people to try out without charging them. . .

FWIW I don't consider it a complete waste of time for someone to shop our LDS and then go buy on the internet. It's still an opportunity for us to provide a service and build a rapport with the customer and perhaps win their business for something else.

I imagine that actually happens occasionally. But more likely, people may research on multiple sites then buy from one of them.

Similar to taking someones time etc. at the LDS, if it actually gets to the point of lots of questions and research it would be nice to buy from the person that does this for you, if possible. As far as reading the site, the incremental cost of that for a site is rather low.

awap:
I'd go to my LDS, tell him I am looking for a DST and the price that I found online. He will either counter with a competetive offer or tell me to get it on line. He will not charge any more to service it because I did not buy it from him. He won't complain about online sellers or buyers. He will continue to treat me well every time I go to his store even if it is just for air.

What would your LDS do?

Most of the time? the same thing. But somtimes, I just dont feel like busting his stones, when it's that far off the money I just do the obvious. More times than not, I am treated like gold, and I in turn give as much as I can to them. And I am NEVER treated badly when I show up with a "tainted" purchace. It's a first class shop, with a fine reputation. But somtimes, it is what it is.

Throughout my life, I have often found that there are two side to every story, as such, I felt it only fair to offer "Capt. Dave" a fair opportunity to repy. I submit my email, and his response, for you to review. Judgements are for you yourselves to make.

----- Original Message -----
To: diveremporium1@cox.net ; diversdiscount1@cox.net
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 4:36 PM
Subject: You may wish to be aware of the following...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116233
<http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116233>

I only think it fair that a person be offered the opportunity to explain
their side of the story.​

awap:
I'd go to my LDS, tell him I am looking for a DST and the price that I found online. He will either counter with a competetive offer or tell me to get it on line. He will not charge any more to service it because I did not buy it from him. He won't complain about online sellers or buyers. He will continue to treat me well every time I go to his store even if it is just for air.

What would your LDS do?

I test this about once every other year out of curiosity, and did so recently. I went into the major local LDS, politely said I was pretty well decided on what I wanted and pointed it out; he offered it to me at list.

I had a newspaper advertisement for the same item from L.A. (a $10 train ride from San Diego) for about 30% less, and an authorized dealer web quote for about 50% less. I pulled the newspaper ad out and asked if there was any way he could approach the competitor's price -- if not through direct discount, perhaps through other goods or services. (Note that we haven't even discussed the internet yet.)

He invited me to purchase immediately or leave the store.

I chose the latter course.

I'm glad some people's experience is different, but the LDS defenders need to understand that the customer-hostile LDSs are out there, and some of us must choose between them or the web.

(*An ironic note: the newspaper ad was from a local free diving-centric tabloid this LDS hands out.)

I find it amazing that anyone could think of an excuse for this kind of behavior reguardless of who it is. The customer is looking to spend their money. The retailer is there to make money. It dosnt take a rocket scientest. It dosnt matter if you buy online or its your LDS, just some decencey would be nice. If your a retailer and having a bad day dont take it out on me please as I have probably already had my OWN bad day lol. BTW, to the origianl poster, scubatoys customer service rules. Trust me, I asked them tons of questions Im sure they have heard over and over and never was treated any other way but with courtesy and respect. Sorry for all the spelling mistakes. Long day :)

I have a good 30 or 40 years left to buy diving gear (online & LDS). He will never get a dime from me.

Kevfin:

I have a good 30 or 40 years left to buy diving gear (online & LDS). He will never get a dime from me.
ROTFLMAO! :D

Well, at least he responded to the emails :D

Which then has helped you to know where to go or not!

I have emailed major online sellers of Scuba Equipment, via the ask questions link on their sites, and never got a reply.

Note to internet sellers, if you are not going to respond, remove the link.

So, I ended up buying from those that did respond.

BTW, Larry does respond, and he has got business from me.

Back
Top Bottom