Beuchat 140 CuFt - comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LesleyDSO,

Thanks - this is the good kind of feedback I was hoping to get - I do dive a dry suit but I was not expecting to take that into account - it's either the suit or the wings - not both.
I would expect that this would be used in deep rec for starters and your comments are very much appreciated. My math was based on total weight - not roll and other issues, I don't know anyone who dives these things so I am looking for hints.
I'm beginning to get a the conclusion that these tanks probably are not really that good a choice and would be movers relatively soon, that in addition to the face that a steel 104/108/120 is not that much more and will be far more versatile as well as usefull if mounted as doubles - not to mention a total of what 14 - 15 lbs neg when full?

Perhaps some of you guys would like to comment on what you are using for doubles nad what your experiences has been?

I'm listening,
Terkel

Terkel,lp 95x2 ,al 80x2 ,al 63,72,80 stages,and old steel 72s for stages.thats a lot of air at sac .48.Big buddy does 104s and 120s for caving and NE wrecks.I'm only 5'10" 180-190.good luck

Hello WetDane,
I dive with low pressure steel 104's. There're negative 14 full and negative 7 when empty. I'm a big boy also and this setup works well for me. The choice is really simple for me, less weight on my belt plus more air egual more BT. Isn't that what we all try for? I'm a warm water diver with no drysuit experience, so you have concerns that I don't. After you start diving with steel tanks, you'll wonder why in the world you ever used the aluminum ones.
:tree:Bob

In two different set ups either 1 hp100 (genesis) or a pair of lp50s I prefer the doubles. They are smaller and easier to carry. They also have less wobble than the hp100. I don't really notice any difference in the bouyancy between the two set ups.

on a side note, the 140s have no DOT stampings, this may or may not effect you up there but it is illeagle to transport them in the USA.

hey Ya'll,

Just want to let you know that I have settled the big gas issue - I will soon becvome the happy owner of a pair of PST LP 104s possibly mounted as doubles for back gas and I am considering a couple of LP 95's for stages - we'll see about the stages thoguh, that may be another month.

Got 5 dives in this weekend - 4 decent ones and one with a guy who did't like being at 65 feet and decided to get the heck out of there (I just wish he would have dropped a nice light instead of that little UK battery eater...)

Have a great day,
Terkel

Many tech divers would say that LP95s are much too negative to make good stages. Perhaps you should seriously considering getting some training before proceeding.

Ralph

steel is not good for stages. it drags through the water.
it causes too much change in bouyancy if/when you need to
ditch it/don it. a 45 cf steel is "bad enough", a LP95
would be worse.

'sides, in open water, subject to its weather fluctuations, you do not want to rack up a deco obligation that requires 95 cf of deco gas to execute.

one or two 40cf AL 'ponies' should be MORE than adequate
for a good ocean dive. If you are caving then use 80cf
AL as stages.

Hey Guys,
See - I ask and I get answers - what a wonderful world!

So, here's the plan - I am gettign a couple of LP104s, I will dive them as singles to start, then I will get the DIR recreatioanl class at some point this summer and have them mounted up as doubles around that time - this will allow me to learn to dive doubles instead of just trying to figure it out on my own. I will not get any stages until then and probably not for a while longer, as you are correct that I need additional training for that - I'm planning to do the TDI Deco diving class probably late summer or in the fall sometime.

Thanks for the great comments,
Terkel

Much better choice, Terkel. Good luck with it.

I just got off the plane from 13 dives on the beautiful reefs of Kavieng and Walindi in New Guinea. Made a nice change from the wrecks. Ho hum, back to filling tanks tomorrow.

These sound like the steel tanks Beuchat was trying to unload in Florida in 1998. I was living down there and heard they there were selling some tanks for $75 per tank.

I spoke to Beuchat USA who was selling them and they said they turned out be way too HEAVY for scuba. I was planning to buy 8 of them to make a compact HP gas bank to supply a surface supply rig so they were ok with selling them to me. I think they were willing to let me have 8 for $500.00

The tanks you found were probably part of this same batch of HEAVIES. I am surprised they didnt scrap them.

Back
Top Bottom