Better OC Trimix Computer . . .

Which of these two ranks better in the catagory?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valéry;6194484:
Well like I said, when I looked for a computer to buy I first started looking on the algo then on the software implementing this algo. At this time vpm was only available on the x1. I do understand that SW has now implemented vpm toped with GF but again it's also available on the x1 as well as vpm-b, vpm-b/e, GF, vpm-b/GFS. I would also add that v-planner is an excellent dive planner, there's not a feature not available for you in it, it's very technical and a pure pleasure to plan deep dive. That's for the software part.

As for the hardware, I'd compare the x1 to a hogarthian configuration, it's straight to the point: no oring so no failure point. On the SW you also need to change the battery witch has an oring too. The x1 is potted, water can't penetrate it.
It has 2 ceramic sensor, it's small and yet the screen is amazingly readable.
You connect it to the rebreather by infrared again no failure point.
It has no button that could break or stop responding or be difficult to use with thick gloves.

The above is my personal preference, some people like donut bc (like me) other still dive shoe horse style bc. Some other dive dir or hogarthian and other people some other configuration.

Don't get me wrong the SW is an excelent computer. I just found the x1 perfect.

You make a few compelling points, but honestly with the decompression models - the significant differences in the plans generated won't be evident until you're planning dives with runtimes that would be difficult to accomplish on open circuit. Also, the use of desktop planning software is a great back up and an essential part of dive planning, but in dive execution I'd prefer to have redundant computers and use my slate as a last ditch scenrio.

I'm not a CCR expert, only just now getting my toes wet on that front, but live monitoring of 3 cells isn't something that I'd leave to a wireless connection.

I also think the X1 is a good machine, and in all honesty for almost every one out there not doing expedition diving (myself included) there's very little that you'd ever see in terms of differences between the two models on open circuit.

Also, at the risk of repeating myself, I see the potting as a potential issue when the time comes to change the battery. Potting seems like a great idea if you're not going to ever need access to the guts again. But the battery will eventually need to be replaced. I know nothing as to how the battery is installed. But if it is potted, how do you get the old one out and the new one in? Wouldn't it be much easier to just put it behind an o-ring? Maybe Liquivision did figure out a simple way to have replaceable batteries without orings, but I have no clue as to how it would be done.

They say on Liquivision that they can change it, but never needed to do it even on the older units.

Valéry;6194395:
Jax, just go buy an X1 you won't regret it. What ever is your dive (trimix, deep or else) it will still be 10 steps ahead.

Two reasons I don't just go buy . . . One, the shopping is almost more fun than the having!

Two, I am learning an enormous amount of how people think and work with their computer. I have a lot of data to mull over and points to consider. As Wookie said, I just might go get trimix certified and and figure on the 'next step' afterwords. :)

You make a few compelling points, but honestly with the decompression models - the significant differences in the plans generated won't be evident until you're planning dives with runtimes that would be difficult to accomplish on open circuit.

Of topic but I'm not a CCR diver and I don't mind dragging 4 or 5 stages for those long dive 😁

Do you know how much would it cost to do so? I'm thinking that if they've brought down gut production costs low enough and charge for the battery replacement a high enough price, it may be simpler to just swap potted guts for a new one altogether.

Valéry;6194552:
They say on Liquivision that they can change it, but never needed to do it even on the older units.

Two reasons I don't just go buy . . . One, the shopping is almost more fun than the having!
Am I looking at a shopaholic 😁

Valéry;6194588:
Am I looking at a shopaholic ��

Worse! I'm an engineer . . .

Do you know how much would it cost to do so? I'm thinking that if they've brought down gut production costs low enough and charge for the battery replacement a high enough price, it may be simpler to just swap potted guts for a new one altogether.

I remember it was expensive but if you divide the price by the years of service I think it would be cheap.
Repeating myself, don't worry about the battery I doubt you'll ever need to change it.

I have two Shearwaters after a poor experience with two VRs. I can use VPMB, VPMB with GF or BuhlmannZHL16. Or, as I am doing now one on VPMB and one on Buhlmann. It served as a backup light in caves in Mexico and you can see the thing for 10-20 feet even in the mud hole we call Lake Travis. Buttons are easy to use even with gloves and the screen is easily read(color!) by those with fading eyesight. Did I mention it took maybe 5-10 minutes to figure out the entire interface, pretty intuitive. X1 is small, hard to read and no color indications.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom