Better Consumption Rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njedrn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Hoping someone can help me out. During my first 10-15 dives I was a serious air hog. Between the excitement factor and the fact that I was not in the best of shape, I sucked my tanks dry pretty quickly.

After getting in better shape by running everyday, working out and eating healthier I've been able to work on part of the problem. I have also dropped a significant amt of lead from my BCD and improved my buoyancy control while underwater.

Since then I have noticed a significant increase in my bottom time, at all depths. But that still leaves me with two questions (and plenty of room for improvement):

1. How do I continue to improve my gas consumption?
2. Is there a "better" technique to breathing control while diving (ie breathing slow and deep, short and shallow, rapid inhalation with prolonged exhalation etc?) Currently I try to take long, drawn out inhalations and exhalations.

Thanks in advance.

Beyond what you have already refrenced which looks spot-on IMO I would also consider adjusting the breathing resistance knob on your second stage. I had it wide-open for years before the basic revelation struck me to adjust. It really helped to draw-out the inhalation phase when not working especially hard....

Last edited:
Physical conditioning improves your consumption only so far; I have seen plenty of super fit divers who go through their air like it was their last meal.

Technique is the key to success: long, slow, deep, as if you were practising yoga, meditation, or martial arts. Imagine the air from your regulator is a fine wine; you want to sip it slowly, not gulp it down like cheap plonk.

By doing so you accomplish several things - you are making a better exchange of gas in the lungs, getting rid of the CO2 which is what causes you to breathe in the first place and of course making sure you are getting plenty of fresh air. You're reducing turbulence in the trachaea, which means you are not rebreathing the same dead air (which causes a CO2 accumulation making your brain think you have to breathe more rapidly) and your tank will last longer.

I try to encourage people to breath 5 seconds in, 5 seconds out (no breath holding, of course) which means you breathe one cycle every 10 seconds, or 6 breaths per minute. It is not always possible or practical to breathe like this, of course, but if you're floating about admiring the fish, nice and relaxed, it's quite easy.

Hope that helps a bit,

C.

Comfort and confidence under water bring SAC down dramatically. You will see difference in SAC at 25 dives, 50 dives, 100, and 300 dives.

When I am thinking about breathing, I do it slowly and regularly, with long, prolonged inhalation and exhalation. This seems to be relaxing and it feels like I am conserving air. But I have absolutely no scientific basis for believing this, and it would be WONDERFUL if someone on SB could produce some actual test data on the subject.

It is interesting to note that some air-breathing aquatic mammals - porpoises and whales, for example - breathe with rapid, almost explosive, in-and-out cycles, followed by long pauses while underwater. This suggests that we may yet have something to learn about breathing efficiently.

Beyond what you have already refrenced with looks spot-on IMO I would also consider adjusting the breathing resistance knob on your second stage. I had it wide-open for years before the basic revelation struck me to adjust. It really helped to draw-out the inhalation phase when not working especially hard....

Aside from everything you've mentioned, I was also able to lower my SAC or RMV by .1ft3/min, but adjusting down the resistance knob on my 2nd stage. I did the exact same thing as Valhalla.

Just look at your rig and figure out if there is any more danglies on there that may be creating drag.

make sure you're not sculling with your hands, try to swim slowly & not dart about, and ditto on the long slow inhale & longer slower exhale.

I too am an air hog but I'm working on it.

Buoyancy Control is one key. I notice on some dives my buoyancy is good and diving is much more effortless. It is like I'm floating weightless in the abyss. Feels great. I'm still working on it.

Horizontal position is a must. It is streamlined and is the standard for buoyancy and trim stability and efficient propulsion.

Interlacing my fingers like the GUE teaches keeps hands calm, buoyancy trim more stable and takes less energy. Only using your fins for propulsion. (flutter kick with ankles, frog kick forward and reverse, helicopter turns)

SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Do everything slowly. I tend to get excited and move erratically. Slow and easy works best and uses less air.

Relax and be in no hurry.

Easier said than done. I've got a long way to go but I'm practicing and learning.

It is interesting to note that some air-breathing aquatic mammals - porpoises and whales, for example - breathe with rapid, almost explosive, in-and-out cycles, followed by long pauses while underwater. This suggests that we may yet have something to learn about breathing efficiently.

They are also not breathing underwater. They are "skin divers." Whole different "animal."

Also
1. Streamline your gear for minimal resistance as you move through the water.
2. Use adequate thermal protection (but don't use more neoprene than you need).
3. Continue to minimize the amount of lead you are using.
4. Only go as deep as you need to (staying a few feet higher in the water column will
greatly decrease your consumption)
5. Don't rush your movements through the water
6. Slow COMPLETE exhalation will decrease your average functional residual capacity, and therefore decrease the amount of balast weight needed.
7. Proper trim and bouancy control (as previously mentioned). DON"T BE A VERTICAL DIVER!!!!!
8. Don't skip breathe. Hypercarbia is not a good thing, and decreasing your gas consumption rate is not worth hurting yourself!
9. RELAX!

Back
Top Bottom