best way to rinse out reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
Hokk them to cylibers first thing when I get home. Submerhe all seconds, QDs and instruments in a fail of clean fresh water. Tend to the rest of the gear. Hose the cylinder, first stage and hoses. Break it down and get the dust cap on dry. Hang to dry.

Pete
Pete, have you been drinking?:D

Robert Phillips:
Pete, have you been drinking?:D

Holly crap, I was on a roll and forgot to proof read... BRB!

Pete

I usually bring a quart bottle of fresh water with squirt top. Rince the rig with the fresh water, dry the fittings and dust cap, then remove the reg and either put it on another tank or put the dust cover on. I realize that I don't hace as many dives as most of you, but I am trying to do it correctly.

IMO , convert to DIN and use a quality delrin cap. This will keep any water out of the first stage. The soak in fresh water for a little bit 10 to 30 minutes.

Right out of Aqualung's Owners manual:

1. Whenever the regulator is removed from the cylinder valve, it is
important that the dust cap is installed over the regulator inlet fitting.
This is critical to prevent the entrance of moisture into the first stage.
This cap is normally attached to the first stage yoke and may therefore
be wet. Wipe or blow the dust cap completely dry before securing it
over the inlet fitting. Check to ensure that the O-ring is seated securely
inside the dust cap.
2. As soon as possible after diving, the regulator should be rinsed thoroughly
with fresh water while it is attached to a cylinder and pressurized
with air.
3. Rinsing alone, however, will not sufficiently clean the regulator. To
clean the regulator as thoroughly as possible, it is necessary to soak it
in warm (not over 120°F) tap water for at least one hour.

Whatever you do don't blast the cap clear with air from your cylinder...fine spray is going to end up in your first stage...well, it might not do but I wipe my DIN cap with a dry cloth, simply because I have seen punters blast water into first stages whilst talking so I try to keep high pressure moist air out of my first stage when it's not connected. I think dust cap is a term rather than something that keeps dust not water out.

boogey

boogeywoogey:
Whatever you do don't blast the cap clear with air from your cylinder...fine spray is going to end up in your first stage...well, it might not do...

boogey

Blowing the dust cap dry with tank air is something I was taught to do in my OW class (last year) - but my new Aeris and Oceanic regs both say in big bold letters in the owner's manual not to do this... so I guess I'll just use a towel from now on...

How do you rinse out your regulator after diving? Any advice on how to keep my reg healthy for as long as possible?

Do you:

a) keep the first stage attached to the tank with the tank valve open to avoid getting any rinse water in the reg and just pour fresh water over everything?

b) disconnect the reg from the tank, put the dust cap on, and soak everything in fresh water?

c) something else?
I dive just about weekly in Puget Sound. After my second dive I put the second stages--while pressurized-- into a bucket of warm water to soak for 10-15 minutes while I rinse of the rest of my gear, including pouring water over the first stage as it is attached to the tank. Even then, once my gear dries out I notice a ring of salt crystals around the rim of the purge valve cover on the second stages. How can that be?

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

I take all the hoses off the first stage, remove the second stages, remove dust cap and soak the whole thing in distilled water with a little vinegar. Pour the water out and blow air through the first stage and hoses. Reassemble.

This sounds ridiculous to me. Way, way too much trouble and putting vinegar inside my first stage every day is not something I would do. Also, removing and replacing all the hoses every day is probably more likely to CAUSE a failure than prevent maintenance problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom