best way to rinse out reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just put the dust cap on and soak it for about 12 hours. And then, I put it on the tank, dry out by pushing the purge button and leave it for a couple of days.

Am I missing something?

I was concerned about soaking my Atomic regs with the dust caps in place in the bathtub, but my LDS owner/repair guy said it was fine. (Even though the manuals say to rinse them pressurized). I mentioned that and although he wouldn't elaborate, just said that it's no problem as long as I don't purge them.
So far so good... I can rinse under pressure on the boat but after shore dives a shower isn't always available and I have to return rental tanks.

I've thought about calling Atomic to ask them. Has anyone else already done that?

OOOH

I think this question goes far beyond the reg rinse question but how people actually dismantle the rig..ie first stage.

BLAST that spray into your dust cap from the cylinder...and that spray is in your first stgae...fine mist as it is and no matter where you hold it.

SOLUTION...simply get a dry material...a towel or shirt, that can suffice, simply wipe around dust cap until dry and screw dustcap on. That avoids saltwater spray from those high pressure things going in your first stgae...eh boompty boom...

boogey

boogeywoogey:
OOOH

I think this question goes far beyond the reg rinse question but how people actually dismantle the rig..ie first stage.

BLAST that spray into your dust cap from the cylinder...and that spray is in your first stgae...fine mist as it is and no matter where you hold it.

SOLUTION...simply get a dry material...a towel or shirt, that can suffice, simply wipe around dust cap until dry and screw dustcap on. That avoids saltwater spray from those high pressure things going in your first stgae...eh boompty boom...

boogey

I like to avoid the problem of salt water spray, or drops or whatever, by rinsing the connection and cap with a squirt bottle of FW before removing it from the tank. I blow excess water from the cover with my breath and then cap it. I do this even for the tank change between dives.

I put a 3 gallon bucket of water ( with a top) in my truck when I go diving. after the dive I just drop the regs (with dust caps on) into the bucket and drive home. At home I hand them up to dry.

I take all the hoses off the first stage, remove the second stages, remove dust cap and soak the whole thing in distilled water with a little vinegar. Pour the water out and blow air through the first stage and hoses. Reassemble.

Zaphod:
I take all the hoses off the first stage, remove the second stages, remove dust cap and soak the whole thing in distilled water with a little vinegar. Pour the water out and blow air through the first stage and hoses. Reassemble.

You do that after every use? If so, you really take good care of your stuff. Let me know if you want to sell any of your old gear. :D

dpbishop:
I put a 3 gallon bucket of water ( with a top) in my truck when I go diving. after the dive I just drop the regs (with dust caps on) into the bucket and drive home. At home I hand them up to dry.

That's a darn convenient way....

Zaphod:

That's a darn lot of work for the diving..... I had better quit the diving :)

I hook them to cylinders and pressurize first thing when I get home. Submerge all seconds, QDs and instruments in a pail of clean fresh water. Tend to the rest of the gear. Hose the cylinder, first stage and hoses. Swish and purge 3-4 times each. Break it down and get the dust cap on dry. Hang to dry.

Took a peek in the alternate seconds last week and they were immaculate after my 78 and my wife's 38 dives.

BTW these are Sherwood Blizzards, DIN with the rubber pop on dust caps.

Pete

Hank49:
You do that after every use? If so, you really take good care of your stuff. Let me know if you want to sell any of your old gear. :D

Yeah, but I also service my gear after just about every trip (or 20 dives). Doing this, I typically don't need any new parts.

Back
Top Bottom