Question Best way to get Indonesian rupiah cash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll travel from the US to Jakarta to Sorong. What's the best way to get Indonesian rupiah cash? At the Jakarta airport at a currency exchange? Or from an Indonesian ATM? Or, before I leave the US?

I'll use it for small purchases, tips, emergencies, etc.

Tried an airport ATM in Indonesia once. It had no problem debiting my account, but would not dispense cash. Probably got a crummy rate from the hotel front desk, but at least they turned my little $100 bills into huge wads of Indonesian bills.

Got a question on those ATMs (ideally airport); for an English-only speaker, just how intuitive are they? From what I understand, they have daily maximum withdrawal rates. Let's say for sake of argument you want to get IDR because you read someone say Batik Air demanded IDR for overweight baggage fees with a 20-kg allowance easily exceeded by the 2 checked bags typical of American tourists. Let's say you want $300 (USD) worth of IDR from the ATM. You don't want it to accidentally spit out UDS, which you don't need and would count against your maximum daily withdrawal from the ATM.

For an English-only speaker/reader, is it pretty obvious how to get that?

Richard.

The ATM that screwed me was easy to use. You withdraw in IDR, so you need to know the exchange rate to stay below your bank’s daily ATM limits. The local bank’s customer service was another matter. Never got any cash, no refund, nobody spoke English……

I take it with me from home or go to a bank exchange place in Singapore. (Actually, my brother in law hoes to wherever it is he exchanges his currency and then he brings it home with him at the end of his work day. Too blessed).

I have made the exchange at the Singapore airport on my way out, which is not ideal.

I suppose none of this is helpful to you if you are already in Sorong?

I have found that money changers away from airports gave the best rates, but I have never been to Sorong, this web site may help

I would use the airport currency exchange. I recall walking up and down the streets in my hotel's neighborhood looking for the "best" rate. By the time I gave up and just used the next one I saw, I was soaked with sweat. Not worth the hassle. Next time I will just get the rupiah at the airport exchange and be done with it. As for ATMs, I didn't trust them due to things I had read on SB.

bank exchange place in Singapore
[and]
I have made the exchange at the Singapore airport on my way out, which is not ideal.
This forces you to pay the exchange rate twice...once from your currency to Singapore dollars, and then from SD to Rupiah.
Better to do it in Indonesia....

This forces you to pay the exchange rate twice...once from your currency to Singapore dollars, and then from SD to Rupiah.
Better to do it in Indonesia....
No it doesn't because I'm not exchanging Singapore dollars. I'm exchanging USD.

No it doesn't because I'm not exchanging Singapore dollars. I'm exchanging USD.
If you are in Singapore at an exchange, your USD first get converted to Singapore dollars, at a cost, then converted again to Rupiah. You pay two exchange rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom