Best video editiing software for GoPro3...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/440952-why-gopro-may-not-right-you.html

Congrats on your open water cert, it's an exciting new world for you to discover. With only 4 open water dives under your belt though, really focus on your breathing and diving skills, over the excitement of your new Hero Black. Keep an eye on your scuba gauges, instead of the Hero Camera.

Become a good diver first grasshoppa, you've learned to breathe underwater and that is about your skill set.

IMHO, really work on your buoyancy skills before putting a video camera in your hands.

Cineform is the way to go to make the file from the go pro into somthing better for editing, with better saturation and color corections....for editing, I suggest Sony Vegas. There are several versions, all are operated about the same way, so if you begin on the most inexpensive and easist to edit with version-- Movie Studio 11, if you later go to Platinum or Vegas Pro, the controls are all of the same type, and the learning curve is very easy. Of all the editing software, I think Vegas is the most intuitive....I use Vegas Pro 11
..... Adobe Premiere, which I also have, is amazingly convoluted and a pain to get up to speed with.

Vegas Product Family Overview

Dan, does the Vegas Pro11 run on PC and Mac?

PC only... But who would want a mac ? :)

And I think all new purchases of pro are Vegas 12.....no real improvement for me, but for some it was supposed to be more stable/less prone to crashing... I never had any issues.

PC only... But who would want a mac ? :)

And I think all new purchases of pro are Vegas 12.....no real improvement for me, but for some it was supposed to be more stable/less prone to crashing... I never had any issues.

That's good. I am a PC guy as the firm I work for is PC and I have our IT folks to troubleshoot just about anything after hours...

Just remembered that I have Adobe Premier on my other laptop, so I will see if I can learn how to use that, or buy something else.

Thanks for any input:)

here is an excellent video that gets great results quickly. it can be applied to most video editing software.

[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 08:41 PM ----------

Cineform is the way to go to make the file from the go pro into somthing better for editing, with better saturation and color corections

Dan,
Can you expand on this? Why bother with conversion? How does the container make a difference?

FWIW: I've been using Pinnacle 16 'cause of its 3D support.

here is an excellent video that gets great results quickly. it can be applied to most video editing software.

[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

---------- Post added January 29th, 2013 at 08:41 PM ----------

Dan,
Can you expand on this? Why bother with conversion? How does the container make a difference?

Sure. The value of the conversion is not the mov versus avi container--which has nothing itself to do with the video quality or eiditing quality--beyond that PC's like AVI wrappers, and Macs like MOV wrappers...
What you want is a much better codek for handling gradations in color correction--this is a huge value with 4-2-2 color cineform delivers to me when I convert my canon 5 D mark II footage from the h264 codec contained in the mov wrapper....the canon h264 file being 4-2-0 so poor for many gradations color correcting can create, and the codec cineform provides is a much less "lossy" codec as well....
Is this enough? I can go on ad nauseum about this stuff :)

Sure. The value of the conversion is not the mov versus avi container--which has nothing itself to do with the video quality or eiditing quality--beyond that PC's like AVI wrappers, and Macs like MOV wrappers...
What you want is a much better codek for handling gradations in color correction--this is a huge value with 4-2-2 color cineform delivers to me when I convert my canon 5 D mark II footage from the h264 codec contained in the mov wrapper....the canon h264 file being 4-2-0 so poor for many gradations color correcting can create, and the codec cineform provides is a much less "lossy" codec as well....
Is this enough? I can go on ad nauseum about this stuff :)

does that apply to gopro files also? or just cameras like your canon?

does that apply to gopro files also? or just cameras like your canon?
The codek in the GoPro is certainly using the 4-2-0 color space -- the only camera( that I know of) that any divers use, that actually shoots in 4-2-2 color space, is the brand new Canon that is a 4K ( meaning twice 1080p in resolution) and the camera body without lens is close to $10,000.

The GoPro is going to have a lossier codec than the Canon 5d ( my expectation). In other words, the Go Pro will benefit even more from what Cineform can do, than will my Canon...but the differences for my Canon underwater videos have been dramatic. The only thing that is likely to offer more dramatic differences for your GoPro, would be if you began shooting with high end professional video lights, which also means your subjects( main subjects) are between one and 3 feet away from you, where the lights are most effective in creating spectacular underwater colors.....your background can obviously extend for 20 to 100 feet based on viz, but with lights, you are always very close to the main subject....
This is hard on the POV mentality of shooting with a GoPro, and it is hard for me, because I like to swim fast and catch stuff on video other shooters can't get. So for me, it means if something is moving, I need to keep up, and get very close to it for the video to have the colors in it I want. If you are in very bright sunlight, in water less than 10 feet deep, you can often color balance with Cineform, and not require lights....But on depths of 30 feet and deeper, the color balancing never seems to make up for the huge amount of light that has been filtered out by the depth of water. This is why most GoPro videos of normal dive sites are washed out, and look poorly saturated. It is not the fault of the camera, it is that most of the go pro shooters don't use lights....and if they do, they are shooting too far away :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom