Best video editiing software for GoPro3...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoRemote

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am new to the underwater world, and after getting OW certified last week, I ran off and bought the new GoPro3 Black Edition, to capture my new adventures.

But after using it a couple of times now, I wonder what software you all are using to edit your videos??
I used Windows Movie Maker 2.6, since it's all I have.. Are there any other programs out there that makes it easier???

Nice. Got the Cineform, but that seems to be only for import/convert+light and color edit. I would like to do some more advanced editing, like make little clips, ad music,+++.
Not sure if the Cineform does that (meaning I can't make it happen, possibly due to lack of knowledge...).

Just remembered that I have Adobe Premier on my other laptop, so I will see if I can learn how to use that, or buy something else.

Thanks for any input:)

Cineform is the way to go to make the file from the go pro into somthing better for editing, with better saturation and color corections....for editing, I suggest Sony Vegas. There are several versions, all are operated about the same way, so if you begin on the most inexpensive and easist to edit with version-- Movie Studio 11, if you later go to Platinum or Vegas Pro, the controls are all of the same type, and the learning curve is very easy. Of all the editing software, I think Vegas is the most intuitive....I use Vegas Pro 11
..... Adobe Premiere, which I also have, is amazingly convoluted and a pain to get up to speed with.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Not to hijack the thread, but my PC seems to struggle with these editing suites, even Cineform. So I am sure I need to upgrade. Any suggestions (no MAC's) for a good editing PC?

The days of slow pc's are over. Any new mid range pc will be able to handle video editing.
A "fast" pc - 5 years ago, is not even as good as the cheapest stuff on the shelves these days.

Almost every pc out there will be able to handle video editing, but a more high end (more expensive..) will do it faster.
I will get a laptop from HP, Acer or Toshiba for around $500-$700.
And that will more than cover my needs...

Last edited:
I highly recommend movie studio 12 from sony. it's the poor man's vegas and does an unbelievable amount of stuff, esp when you consider the hundreds (if not thousands) adobe and vegas will set you back. I got the latest and greatest version brand new off ebay for $40. Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite Overview
I evaluated trial versions of vegas, premiere pro, after effects, and others I can't recall, and movie studio blows them all out of the water in price:performance. what are your computers specs?

I highly recommend movie studio 12 from sony. it's the poor man's vegas and does an unbelievable amount of stuff, esp when you consider the hundreds (if not thousands) adobe and vegas will set you back. I got the latest and greatest version brand new off ebay for $40. Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite Overview
I evaluated trial versions of vegas, premiere pro, after effects, and others I can't recall, and movie studio blows them all out of the water in price:performance. what are your computers specs?

Thanks. Will check it out. My wife managed to soak my computer in water a couple of weeks ago...., so I need a new one, and I will buy a mid range laptop, with enough speed to keep up with video editing.

gotcha. one of the primary things these days is gpu acceleration. that's the key to getting hd playback on lower-mid systems, and will make any system run smoother since it can offload video decoding to the gpu. for instance, I got a new video card (nvidia GT 640 $50 ebay) which is compatible with movie studio's gpu acceleration, and it decreased my rendering time of a gopro video from 6:48 to 2:11. and that's just a small sample file I was using to test. longer movies will of course benefit that much more. sony vegas and movie studio support GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher, GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher, Quadro 600 or higher, Quadro FX 1700 or higher, Radeon HD 57xx or higher. so if you go with a sony product, keep that in mind for your laptop shopping. here is the link that tells more about it: Vegas Pro 12 GPU acceleration

Back
Top Bottom