Best types of Regulators to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A sealed diaphragm second stage stays "cleaner" but a piston second stage in general will have a lower parts count, is more bullet proof and will offer better raw performance. I would not hesitate to use a MK 25 in water down to 50 degrees but would suggest a Mk 16 for water colder than that.

I am also a fan of the G250 over the S600. Same reg internally except the G250 has a larger diaphragm and has a better record of reliability in cold water and in general is a time tested high performance second stage. I like some of the engineering concepts behind the X650, but I don't think the design is mature yet and I think SP really screwed up discontinuing the D400 as I don't think the X650 will ever fully match it.

DA, what do you think of the MK18? The LDS has MK18/G250 combo's on sale.

scubatoys:
Scuba Pro MK25/s600
Tusa Platina Plus (RS-240) No Nitrox
Atomic Z1
Oceanic Delta 3 PX2
Oceanic Zeta CDX5

Kind of interesting as you are looking at top of the line scubapro - but bottom of the line atomic... not that the z1 is a slouch... but the Atomic B2 would be a strong candidate in my book. The second stage swivel is very nice.

My wife dives a B2 (from Scuba Toys) and she loves it. The swvel is nice. I have an M1, no swivel but good in cold water and takes EAN up top 80%. If you go with the Z1 be sure to add the larger exhaust from the M1/B2.

As far as other choices, I personally would go with either Apeks or Atomic.

drmobil2002:
I am in the market to buy a new regulator and I wanted to know if any one out there with the knowledge can recommend something. Price is not an object when it comes to my breathing source. I do a lot of fresh water dives an several saltwater dives a year. I dive up to 130' in warm water only, do not have the urge to go dry suit diving in very cold water. The coldest dive I had was 52 deg/F.

I would like the option of Nitrox compatible, and I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of an adjustable 2ndstage and Diaphgram or Piston.

I have been looking at the following:

Scuba Pro MK25/s600
Tusa Platina Plus (RS-240) No Nitrox
Atomic Z1
Oceanic Delta 3 PX2
Oceanic Zeta CDX5

Any Recomendations?
From the regs you've mentioned, I've tried the Atomic and the Scubapro(G250 not the S600). They are both excellent regs that would make every diver happy in the conditions you've mentioned.
You asked for the sense of the adjustments on the second stage. I'm very curious as well as for what reason you would like to make your reg a harder breathing one.
Some Tech diver will tell you that in couple of hundred feet you have to open it up for the "Gas soup" to pass. Doesn't affect you, or?
Other will tell you that you have to adjust it harder for the reg not to freeflow in a strong current. My reg never freeflowed in a current and I dove plenty of dives in ripping current.
Maybe someone else could mention couple more reasons for adjustments but I can't think of any more. That said, my reg doesn't have a second stage adustment and I never missed it.
I'd recommend not only going by names but by serviceability of these regs in your area and I'd recommend testing couple of regs before commiting. It's cheaper to rent and test than buy something you'll not like later and will have to replaced.
Other threw names that you didn't ask about so I'll do it too :wink: Have you looked at Mares? They make excellent regs that are very solid performers and excellent breathers. They don't have 2nd stage adjustments because they don't need them :wink:
I'm using the Mares MR22/Abyss and it always breathes the same regardless how deep or cold it was. Never a freeflow, never a problem.
I've heared you can get one of them for a very reasonable price nowdays. Ask Larry from Scubatoys :wink:
BTW, welcome to the board :D

aquaoren:
You asked for the sense of the adjustments on the second stage. I'm very curious as well as for what reason you would like to make your reg a harder breathing one.

Other will tell you that you have to adjust it harder for the reg not to freeflow in a strong current. My reg never freeflowed in a current and I dove plenty of dives in ripping current.
Maybe someone else could mention couple more reasons for adjustments but I can't think of any more. That said, my reg doesn't have a second stage adustment and I never missed it.
I'd recommend not only going by names but by serviceability of these regs in your area and I'd recommend testing couple of regs before commiting.

A couple reasons for adjustments are not that you would like to breathe harder, but some regs (like the Delta 3 being considered) actually leak a little when they are completely opened, so adjustment is required. Other regs like the Sherwood Maximus rely completely on the adjustment to control the reg as they lack an adjustable orofice to adjust breathing resistance. Lastly, if your reg is tuned properly. you should have to use it to control trickles. I know that I used mine uner the ice when my reg began to a little more than trickle. Not bacause it is a badreg but because it was tuned properly. don't get me wrong though. Somepeople are left a little perplexed with venturis and adjustment knobs etc. So for some divers keeping it simple with the likes of the abyss is better. Each to his own.
I would agree with trying a reg if possible before buying it though.

It seems to me that wherever I find a discussion on "best regulator" it ends up comparing APEKS TX50, 100, 200 and Scubapro MK25, and it goes very personal...
May I have some comments on aqualung legend lx and
Mares MR22 Abyss??

thnx
ciao
rob

Don't get to teckie.

Just pick a reg that breaths well.

I use Mares becouse they have no fiddly bits or adjustments, they just give you lots of air at any depth.

Fit a cold water kit and the first stage is sealed so you can be lazy and get away with half hearted cleaning.

Just got my with the Proton XL. It's light, small and breaths like a dream

robcap:
It seems to me that wherever I find a discussion on "best regulator" it ends up comparing APEKS TX50, 100, 200 and Scubapro MK25, and it goes very personal...
May I have some comments on aqualung legend lx and
Mares MR22 Abyss??

thnx
ciao
rob
The Mares is the best reg that I have seen without all the knobs and dials. If you like to keep it simple or are one of those people who gets overwhelmed with all the do-hickies (nothing wrong with that) You would like how smooth it breathes. I have never dove it just set it up and serviced it, but was very impressed with it.
The legend is the Aqualung clone of the Apeks ATX200. I understand what you mean about hearing about it all the time. Everyone who gets told to buy an Apeks or MK25-S600 thinks that because they were told it was the best that there is no other. And they give their advice based on the one reg they have ever breathed. Don't get me wron I am not the be all and end all on regs. The Aqualung has a very good reputation and breathes well at that. It always gets good reviews fromthe magazines if that means anything to you. And I have never seen anyone not like them. Personally where I am (not to go back on it but) the Apeks 200 is still about $100 cheaper than the legend so we don't see to many around. Nice reg though. You would be happy with either. The only thing that I would suggest you weight heavily is the parts availability of the Mares. It seems that no matter where you are the serviceability is either really crappy or really good. Just double check that. As far as warranties, both are parts for life... good luck

Thnx rescuediver009 for the answer.
I myself am a PADI divemaster, and CMAS ***, but I've never been much into
equipment. I use Sepadiver regulators (it's a local brand, my home town) and
never had problems or whatever. I do 50 m and 2' deco at 6m and 12 at 3m and get out of the water with 50bars and I'm not tired.
BUT, since my life has come to a turning point and I'm seriously thinking of moving to Caribbean and work there, then you know, you need to minimize all possible sources of stress. That's why I'm looking for something really good.

ciao

robcap
a.k.a 963356
a.k.a Señor granzo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom