Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Which is exactly the point Pug is making - by never touching the thing, you're just fooling yourself. You've got a security blanket that, when needed, you haven't practiced deploying, you don't know if it's working, etc. etc. etc.

My vote goes for situational awareness and diving as a team.

Do you want to split hairs or what! Of course any reasonable person would practice with their equipment. What I obviously meant was that if I dive safe and smart there would never be a reason to use the darn thing. Listen
guys, if you are gonna nitpick and twist every word... I can get that at home.

Peter

I bet I can find 30 recreational divers who have never used their octopus or practiced an OOA at depth before you find 15 divers who have.

Leave the pony at home or on E-Bay. Practice solid buddy team diving and understand what your air consumption is. You'll be a better diver and not relying on a crutch.

Boogie711:
I bet I can find 30 recreational divers who have never used their octopus or practiced an OOA at depth before you find 15 divers who have.

Leave the pony at home or on E-Bay. Practice solid buddy team diving and understand what your air consumption is. You'll be a better diver and not relying on a crutch.

I have an idea! Lets discuss the merits or lack thereof of emergency backup chutes in skydiving! I am in favor of them even though they may just be a psychological crutch and I may not be able to deploy it anyway in an OOA cuz I didnt practice enough with it. I am so sorry I ever entered this thread.

JPL

Hehehe...fuel on the fire but I can't resist...

If I don't have a reserve chute in case of emergency...I can't "signal to my buddy" to share his for the descent.

Try again.

bwerb:
Hehehe...fuel on the fire but I can't resist...

If I don't have a reserve chute in case of emergency...I can't "signal to my buddy" to share his for the descent.

You need to watch more James Bond movies.... it can be done :D

freborg:
I have an idea! Lets discuss the merits or lack thereof of emergency backup chutes in skydiving! I am in favor of them even though they may just be a psychological crutch and I may not be able to deploy it anyway in an OOA cuz I didnt practice enough with it. I am so sorry I ever entered this thread.

JPL

Don't confuse the argument against a pony bottle with one against a redundant gas supply.

freborg:

JPL

JPL, actually, the thread has been interesting to read and I don't think everyone is trying to pick on you.

I think that everyone agrees that redundancy is a good thing. I guess the question is what is best when we're talking about air supply. This is a question that I'm wrestling with. While doubles may be the "ideal" solution to ensure adequate air, doubles have their own unique problems. They are heavy and much more expensive. While they can be used in rec diving, I'm not sure that the benefits outweight the advantages for rec divers. So I think we're back to a single tank backgas rig.

While the concensus on this site seems to see ill of the pony bottle, it does seem to have its place. For my dive club the standard is to use a single tank backgas with a small pony bottle clipped to the front. It sounds like a good system, and I believe, what is called for by SDI for solo divers. (not meant to cross the thread w/ solo vs buddy diving). Regardless if you personally buy into the arguments, I have also heard that this is a required system for some boat charters on the NE Coast and for some Lake Michigan winter charters.

Personally, I was on the fence about them. After reading this thread, I think will go to a H-valve should I stay with a single tank backgas rig.

Hantzu

hantzu701:
...While the concensus on this site seems to see ill of the pony bottle....
Hantzu

I can't tell....

While it appears to be the opinion of the most vocal members of the site I would like to know more from others who maybe don't want to wade into the debate, so I threw a Poll at it here:

Pony bottle poll

It should be interesting...

I have a question for those that are against a pony. Tell me what your decision would be in the following situation.

On a rec dive at 70fsw you have a major first stage malfunction or better yet the infamous tank neck oring rupture (play along). Beside you is your buddy as he most likely would be if you dive DIR. Also right next to you is another buddy with a slung 30cft pony ready to hand over to you to clip to one of your d-rings. Which would you choose (and please be honest) and why?

Thanks for playing and I'm truely hoping to learn something.

Back
Top Bottom