Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEWreckDiver:
Why is it through out this entire thread, is the only time you would get entangled, is if you have a pony bottle with you. I am just posing this question to because we are talking.
Where did boogie state that the pony was the cause of the entanglement. He stated that he as a diver is entangled and cannot move his hands...regardless of wether or not he's carrying a pony.

FWIW I also dive singles with a 7' hose.

Big-t-2538:
Where did boogie state that the pony was the cause of the entanglement. He stated that he as a diver is entangled and cannot move his hands...regardless of wether or not he's carrying a pony.

FWIW I also dive singles with a 7' hose.

How do you stow the extra hose?

I was refering the thread, not his statements. It seems to an argument of entanglement for those against carrying a pony bottle and am trying to understand it.

DSAO

NEWreckDiver:
How do you stow the extra hose?

It seems to be an argument of entanglement for those against carrying a pony bottle and am trying to understand it.

1 - I tuck it into the harness...

2 - Are you saying that carrying a pony does not introduce an entanglement issue?

The hose is stowed by routing down from the right post, either under your canister on your right waist band or under your knife, slightly off center left waist band, over the left shoulder with one wrap around the neck. The pony is an unnecessary source of entanglement, meaning that just because you are wearing a pony doesn’t mean you will get tangled, but you can and at best it will be extremely difficult to remove and worse case you’ll be trussed like a turkey and have to wait for your buddy to get you out.

deepbluetech:
The hose is stowed by routing down from the right post,
Chris-
I believe he was asking us " non-double-simple-life-joe-divers " how we store a 7 footer....

I could add that it helps to be a gerthy individual. I would imagine that 6 or even 5 feet is plenty for a long hose if you're skinnier and shorter than me.

The argument for "in-line" communication length really doesn;t apply to single tank divers (I don't think) b/c we really shouldn't be in the o/h environment to begin with.

A 5 or 6' long hose will route on most people under the armpit without any assistance. The length required will vary.

A 7' hose is typically either run around a can light (if you have one), around a pouch on the harness (if you don't have a can light), or tucked into the harness (if you have neither), in order of preference.

I dive a 7' hose with both single and double tanks.

Genesis:
A 5 or 6' long hose will route on most people under the armpit without any assistance. The length required will vary.

A 7' hose is typically either run around a can light (if you have one), around a pouch on the harness (if you don't have a can light), or tucked into the harness (if you have neither), in order of preference.

I dive a 7' hose, bungied octo, with a single tank. The hose is tucked under EMT shear pouch on the right and looped around the neck. I am 5'6" and have no problems with the length.

Hantzu

Big-t-2538:
1 - I tuck it into the harness...

2 - Are you saying that carrying a pony does not introduce an entanglement issue?

So it is more or less a Cave configuration. I understand the reason for the long hose and it does make sense. I just didn't know what you did with the extra hose on single tank. I know what I do with mine when I dive with doubles and I don't use one when I dive singles. That is why I asked.

No I am not saying that, anything you carry can introduce an entanglement problem. As long as you are streamlined in your configuration, you reduce this risk. On the same hand, we shouldn't be using this as an argument against carrying one. (I am not putting words in your month)

Genesis:

I dive doubles now most of the time and of course have a long hose. I don't like the around the neck personally. I just never really considered this when diving singles. Something to think about.

Of course I do have a longer hose on the pony bottle I carry.

Big-t-2538:
Chris-
I believe he was asking us " non-double-simple-life-joe-divers " how we store a 7 footer....

I could add that it helps to be a gerthy individual. I would imagine that 6 or even 5 feet is plenty for a long hose if you're skinnier and shorter than me.

The argument for "in-line" communication length really doesn;t apply to single tank divers (I don't think) b/c we really shouldn't be in the o/h environment to begin with.

I wasn’t being sarcastic. When I asked I did not realize that you where diving single tank and simply wanted to know what you did with the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom