Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimM:
someone asked for instructions on how to rig a stage...
here you go :wink:

http://www.dir-diver.com./en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

A slightly different variation on the theme....

http://www.bentleytech.com/cave/stage/

You can also use 5/8" or 3/4" OD vinyl tubing on the screw portion of the hose clamp. I also prefer it over an opaque fuel tubing for the handle as it allows inspection of the condition of the rope inside it.

I have also found that heat shrink tubing works well over the strap portion of the hose clamp. It protects the paint on an AL tank and also serves to isolate the dissimilar metals on the clamp and tank. The one shown is a few years old with a coupel hundred dives and needs new heat shrink tubing, but it will give you the general idea.

A properly backmounted pony will not extend beyond the BC air cell. If you are going to get tangled on your pony you have just as much a chance of getting your primary tangled.

I dive with singles and mount my pony (also use it as a deco bottle) on the back, upside down, with its own compact but "real size" spg. I can turn it off and on just as I must be able to do with my primary tank. I prefer this mount method because it reduces the clutter in front. You can organize your lead to offset the trim drift.

A pony should be used as an added safety measure should you have a failure in your primary gas system. If you are breathing on your pony you should be heading straight to the surface or to the first deco stop because your primary system has failed.

The difference between a pony and a deco bottle is when you use it and what you use it for. Where you mount it is up to you. Tech courses teach you to sling it. I was trained with this method but I prefer to backmount. I prefer to have it out of the way but accessible in terms of valve shut down needs.

People who say a pony is a danger and used only by people who cannot manage and plan gas apparently have no clue what it is or what it's used for.

--Matt

Sean326:
You don't have a choice if you dive off a New Jersey dive boat they all require a pony. Not the law but a policy set by the new Jersey Dive Boat assoc.

I'm not sure they would accept spair air as a real pony.

I dive a 19cuft pony upside down under the wing of my Ranger LTD in an elastic zipperd on holster with a very small Octo second stage. Very low profile, easy to deploy yet out of the way and streamlined.

I was thinking of bying the Ranger Option Holster for a 19 cuf pony .... sooooo based on what you typed ,,, would you Approve?? Im a Jersey Diver as well PONYS are Required IN JERSEY.

buds:
I was thinking of bying the Ranger Option Holster for a 19 cuf pony .... sooooo based on what you typed ,,, would you Approve?? Im a Jersey Diver as well PONYS are Required IN JERSEY.
That's exactly what I did... actually mine is an LTD and the LTDs have a zipper attachment point under each wing. Zeagle makes an elastic sleeve for a 6 cuft pony that zips under the wing. I personally think that a 6 cuft pony is a little too small for me. So I tried putting a 19 cuft pony in the elastic sleeve and it worked, I’ve been diving it for 2 years now. Although I'll bet that at this point the 19 cuft has stretched the elastic sleeve out so far that it would no longer hold a 6 cuft. But it does hold the 19 very securely and it is a nice setup for the pony.

However beginning about two months ago I've switched to Isolated twin HP 100s. The Zeagle works great with them as well; I use an ABS backplate and bolt it and my tanks to my LTD. It gives me the best of all worlds, a weight integrated backplate and wings with all my accessory pockets and attachment points.

By the way I was out last weekend on the Tuna Seazure out of great bay (just north of AC) and we visited a shallow wreck (80ft) they did not require a pony. But... I took one since I only dove my single 120s. Still most Jersey boats do require a redundant air supply.

As I said in my previous post it is not a law but a recommendation from the dive boat trade association.

Uncle Pug:
Well I would say that it is best not to carry a pony in the first place. If you must carry a pony because you cannot figure out how to plan your gas needs and leave an adequate reserve then I would say don't mount it on your back where you can't get to it.

Here is an example of a front mounted 40cf bottle.
I agree that the front mount is the way to go. I have seen in more then once incidents when a diver could not turn on or off his tank and had little control over the tank. The other plus to mounting it in front is for a quick ditch. I ran into an incident where one of the guys in our group ran out of air just as we hit the up line. He started to panic and I detached my 40 c/f pony and handed it to him. The plus was I he had plenty of gas to ascend do his safety stop and I never had to be less then six feet away. The last thing you want is to be attached to a paniced diver. Give him the air and stay a safe distance to give more help if needed.
I also agree that a pony shouldn't be necessary if you can plan your dive correctly. However Mr. Murphy is always present even on a non-deco dive.

I am new to this site, but had to add my review. I am 62 and have dove for 30 plus years and am only saying this for those of you who don't seem to understand that if a condition happens and you lose your air and are down at a depth where there is the need to do a deco. etc and/or don't have a reduntant air back up....then your not prepared as a wise diver. Seems like the real question is one of wisdom and that's to be always safe. No spare air bottles less than 13 cubic feet, and please get one. As to where to mount it...get with someone who knows if you don't know where to place it, but use one. Funny that divers that seem to be experienced on this site say you don't need one if you plan your dive right. Well if your out of air and are able to make it to the top safe...then get back on this site and tell the so called experienced divers to get off their high horse and be wise. This is only my opinion, and good grief your wise to always be safe. After all is that not what diving is about...besides the joy of being down under!!!!

Back
Top Bottom