Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - if that was harsh to Brian, I apologize. I've never met Brian and I have nothing against him. I would like to think that those who know me in 'real life' know me as a relatively quasi-nice guy. My point is that, as a NAUI instructor, he would hopefully have better skills than a newbie OW diver. I was simply stressing that what MAY work for a good diver in a no stress situation (and as it turns out, he still ran OOA) won't work for a stressed newbie.

I STILL maintain Spare Airs have no place on a diver. Uncle Pug said it best - Scuba divers carrying a Spare Air demonstrate a lack of understanding.

Boogie711:
OK - if that was harsh to Brian, I apologize. .

Hey Boogie - no apology is needed.

Divers who are passionate about the sport are always of interest to me and add flavour to the discussions around here, however I appreciate you throttling back a bit on me about my spare air post.

Our opinions differ somewhat based on our experiances and I like to think that the strength of forums like this is more in the sharing and disemination of information rather than demanding that people share your view point.

Happy 2004 and if your driving through Whitby drop in and say hi - if it gets rough you can beat me with a spring strap and I'll throw a spare air - Cheers!

i have or can see no reason to not carry a pony bottle.
you dont plan it into anything but it is there for a emergency.

I'll see if I can dig up my baker's dozen potential downsides to carrying a pony bottle....

Oh, here they are! :D

1) Pony bottles add an extra piece of equipment to the diver's kit that needs to be fastidiously maintained to remain optimally functional.

2) Pony bottles add an extra training element as divers should be completely familiar with pony bottle carrying, deployment and usage as well as proper gas management.

3) Pony bottles need to be used frequently so that the diver remains proficient in deployment and use.

4) Pony bottles add an extra element of task loading in an emergency in that they require attention for deployment and usage.

5) Pony bottles if front mounted involve all of the above plus pose extra points of entaglement/snagging.

6) Pony bottles if back mounted pose extra points of entanglement/snagging that cannot always be undone successfully without help.

7) Pony bottles if back mounted valve up must be turned on prior to the dive and left on during the dive. It is possible for a leak or free flowing pony reg to empty or partially deplete the pony bottle.

8) Pony Bottles if back mounted do not allow confirmation of supply without the addition of an extra spg to the kit.

9) Pony bottles if back mounted valve down can be turned on when needed but the air supply cannot be confirmed unless an extra spg is added to the kit.

10) Pony bottles if relied upon as bailout can influence divers to make poor choices and extend dives beyond prudence or to even ignore gas planning altogether and simply rely upon the pony.

11) Pony bottles require additional set up steps that can provide opportunity for mistakes to be made... ie they complicate the rig.

12) Pony bottles can affect trim and require additional weighting adjustments, add drag and cause increased air consumption.

13) Pony bottles involve more cost not only for initial purchase but also for regulator maint. and tank vips/hydros.

In a pocket of my Mustang suit on the helo ride to the jobsite.

Even in most of my working dives, inside stormwater drain pipes, surface supplied, I don't carry a bailout bottle. In many of these pipes there simply is not room. I am not a little guy and most people find it hard to believe that I can fit *me* into an 18" pipe.
There are often lots of things to get caught on, tangled in, or just be anoyed by in these pipes so the cleanest, most stripped down rig possible is the way I go. Many times it is the only way possible to get the job done.

For sport (fun) diving I still like to keep things simple, so why carry a pony unless it is needed?

If I do carry a pony it is rigged as a stage.

Sean326:
I posted this on a diff. thread a while ago

I bought a 3 cuft. spare air and tried it last weekend....

My buddy and I went down to 95' and I simulated an OOA situation. I exhaled, took out my primary, took 20 seconds to simulate messing with my reg brought my backup reg to my mouth (but i didn't inhale). then i pulled out my spare air and started a CSA.

I tried to control my breathing safely, I didn't add air to my BC, and I kept an eye on my computer and kept my ascent rate at 100% to 120% I ran out of air at 35'.... good for about 4 breaths
If I was really out of air I probably would have been more agressive and dropped my belt but I also would have been more panicked. (it was just a fun test I wasn't going to risk getting hurt)

swimming faster would be better than dropping your weights. You kept your ascent at 100% to 120% of what?

In summery I have turned my spare air over to my kids as a really cool pool toy and got a 19 cuft pony bottle.

Not to state the obvious but I hope they know how to use that pool toy with out spitting out their lungs when they ascend. A few feet is all it takes.

MikeFerrara:
You kept your ascent at 100% to 120% of what?

100% to 120% of the recommended ascent rate as displayed on my dive computer, set by the factory at about 60 fpm.

MikeFerrara:
Not to state the obvious but I hope they know how to use that pool toy with out spitting out their lungs when they ascend. A few feet is all it takes.

well... the deep end is about 8 to 9 ft. and they have been playing with my scuba stuff since they were babies, the spair air is just a real mini scuba tank. I guess theoretically you could have a problem but i think you would have to work at it. IE.. lay on the bottom take a breath so full that it actually hurts then go up without exhaling...

Quite frankly if you were to ask me how my kids will get hurt at the pool I would bet on a diving accident (not scuba). we have a rule no head first diving but they still have hit bottom hard feet first (not at the deepest point though).

Uncle Pug:
Scuba divers carrying a Spare Air demonstrate a lack of understanding.

You don't have a choice if you dive off a New Jersey dive boat they all require a pony. Not the law but a policy set by the new Jersey Dive Boat assoc.

I'm not sure they would accept spair air as a real pony.

I dive a 19cuft pony upside down under the wing of my Ranger LTD in an elastic zipperd on holster with a very small Octo second stage. Very low profile, easy to deploy yet out of the way and streamlined.

Sean326:
I guess theoretically you could have a problem but i think you would have to work at it.

Maybe, Maybe not....so why take a chance - compressed air with untrained people is a loaded gun with a lousy safety ( panic pulls the trigger)...My kids are NEVER on compressed air unless I am right beside them.

I know of someone who had an AGE with only 4 foot of water over his head when he bolted for the surface ( he was even blowing bubbles as he went).

Is it likely - probably not

Can it Happen? - Absolutely ! I would NEVER let my kids ( or god forbid their friends) use scuba or spare air unattended and you may want to reconsider Spare air as a pool toy. ( I am not trying to slap you around here it's just really scary to me)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom