Best type of Pony Tank setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of all the discussions in the previous 10 pages .....

If you want to get on a NJ dive boat you have either isolated doubles or a pony thats it... end of discussion

Not a real big issue for divers in other geographic areas, that is until the policy spreads to other dive boat associations.

I too am building my first Pony Rig, it is a required item in the NE for the boats. I have 40 cu tank. Is this too big?> I mean, sure extra air can never be too big, but i would like to do the slung method too, and it may be too large.
Also I saw the pictures of the way the pony was rigged, but could you list the ingredients used to make the harness, so I could build one like it?
Thanks and keep breathing!

Most of the arguments against pony bottles can be said about can lights being used in rec diving situations. I see many "DIR" folks that always have their trusty Helios even if they are diving to 70ft in good conditions. These are the same ones that are usually against a pony but in reality their light is an extra unneeded item. I have never seen one post that says in SOME situations a can light is a bad idea. The reason I bring this up is because I think that a pony is not an overburdening task that is so difficult to master it should be left behind. I really think if you don't know how to use a pony you have no business having an OW cert. I like to be as self sufficient as possible and if a situation comes up where I require help, then my buddy is right next to me. If I'm in a situation that I can assist myself and have my buddy observe then that's even better. BTW, I believe this ONLY applies to recreational open water diving. If we start talking about more advanced types of diving I whole heartedly agree against a pony as there is usually a better self sufficient solution (doubles).

rstark:
Most of the arguments against pony bottles can be said about can lights being used in rec diving situations. I see many "DIR" folks that always have their trusty Helios even if they are diving to 70ft in good conditions. These are the same ones that are usually against a pony but in reality their light is an extra unneeded item. I have never seen one post that says in SOME situations a can light is a bad idea.

The light is used not only to see but also to commumicate. Whether diving side by side or single file, each keeps their light pointed such that the other can see it. Seeing it tells you that your buddy is there without having to look and allows for signals to be easily seen without turning. The makes it easy to get your buddies attention even when they're looking away. The light is what allows for continuouse unbroken communication even when you're not looking directly at each other. These techniques also work when the ambient light is fairly bright.

I skip bringing the light on some dives but I've gotten really spoiled and leave it behind less and less often. It's a real pain (best case) to have to swim over and tap your buddy on the shoulder to get their attention. It's much easier and faster to simply flash your light accross their line of sight.

It does make sense that the divers who know how to use a light would also be the ones who see no application for a pony bottle.

I would give up my beloved BP/wings and go back to a plastic back pack before I would part with my HID... especially when diving with a buddy who has one as well.

As Mike said they are signalling devices. I don't need to see my buddy as long as I can see the beam of his light I know where he is, what he is doing, what he is looking at, what his status is, where he is going, ect. and all of that is passive communication... information I get just because he has the HID. For active signalling it gets even better.

And using the HID lights we don't have to swim right next to one another but in an OOA are still able to close the distance and initiate an air share faster than you can say pony.

ingreevox:
I too am building my first Pony Rig, it is a required item in the NE for the boats. I have 40 cu tank. Is this too big?> I mean, sure extra air can never be too big, but i would like to do the slung method too, and it may be too large.
Also I saw the pictures of the way the pony was rigged, but could you list the ingredients used to make the harness, so I could build one like it?
Thanks and keep breathing!
If I follow what you are saying you will be using the bottle slung as a stage, not a pony. The hardware you need for setting up a stage is 1/4" nylon rope, two large bolt snaps, a 316 ss hoseclamp and if you want t be slick a piece of 1/2" vynil tubing and you're done. Todd Leonard used to have a great site showing a lot of great detail but I don't think it's up anymore. Todd are you out there? A 40 works fine as a stage.

Mike & UP I see what you mean about the lights. But at this point, in an OOA situation do I really want to have to signal someone for air or just grap my slung reg. Either way I think they both work and both have their application. I just though it was weird that the "minimalist " approach wasn't so minimalist. Just to play devil advocate, you can communicate just fine in good conditions using hand signals and the are not; entanglement hazard, task loading, need training, added expense, etc (you know the list). Jus to let you know I see your point and agree with the approach and application, I just think that there are more than one way to do things right and safe. Do you see my point?

rstark:
Mike & UP I see what you mean about the lights. But at this point, in an OOA situation do I really want to have to signal someone for air or just grap my slung reg. Either way I think they both work and both have their application. I just though it was weird that the "minimalist " approach wasn't so minimalist. Just to play devil advocate, you can communicate just fine in good conditions using hand signals and the are not; entanglement hazard, task loading, need training, added expense, etc (you know the list). Jus to let you know I see your point and agree with the approach and application, I just think that there are more than one way to do things right and safe. Do you see my point?
Robert,

As far as hand signals that's all well and good if your buddy is looking at you, with a light you can get immediate attention, on the OOA if you are diving a good config you would have your own backup so you wouldn't be grasping anybodies reg. So what is your point?

Is that so many people seem to want an absolute answer.

Sorry, diving is not like that.

Sometimes a pony tank is a good thing to have, sometimes not. The diver needs to evaluate the dive plan and decide which.

If you don't know how to weigh the pros and cons then you might want to invest in more training before more equipment.

More gas is not always better. All you need is 'enough'.
If you don't know how to calculate what is 'enough' then again, training before equipment.

The only always I can think of in diving is that what you have in your head is FAR more important than what is on your back.

rstark:
Do you see my point?
But it falls short. Hand signals require you to be looking at your buddy. How do you get your buddy to turn and look at you? Sound makers? How long will it take them to look around to see where the sound is coming from and then to focus in on the signal being given? And if you do hand off your pony to your OOA buddy how long will it take them to deploy it and then readjust their buoyancy?

The communication that is going on between a team using HIDs is constant in the passive sense and immediate in the active sense. I guarantee you that we could effect an air share should a problem develop before you would even be able to locate your pony bottle reg, deploy it, turn it on, ect.
If I see my buddy's HID beam moving rapidly back and forth I know immediately which direction to turn and will have my regulator extended toward him while doing so.

You would have to see this in action to realize how efficient it is.

Back
Top Bottom