best travel fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife already is planning on a trip to Coz next year which obviously doesn't have any strict luggage size/weight requirements.

If weight and length were not an issue, would the Accels still be worth purchasing as a travel fin?

A travel fin is such due to it's reduced size and weight. If you have no restrictions , your current fins pack OK and you like them I personally wouldn't bother. The price of the fins is probably the same as an extra dive.

A travel fin is such due to it's reduced size and weight. If you have no restrictions , your current fins pack OK and you like them I personally wouldn't bother. The price of the fins is probably the same as an extra dive.

Thanks.
They would be for my wife who's primary fins were Atomic "Smoke" Split fins. She hated them so much in the Coz current that she eBay'ed them a week after getting back. So, she needs new primary fins and maybe travel fins.

Thanks.
They would be for my wife who's primary fins were Atomic "Smoke" Split fins. She hated them so much in the Coz current that she eBay'ed them a week after getting back. So, she needs new primary fins and maybe travel fins.

Due to their small blade surface they will not hold up as well in a current as well as "full" sized fins.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 01:29 AM ----------

I do own a pair by the way.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 07:06 AM ----------

Thanks.

I've just recently started using some DiveRite EXP fins, I like them, plenty of power if required and not too heavy. They come fitted with spring strap which is a bonus. I find them very comfortable too. They are moderately stiff. FWIW I wear a 7US and the mediums fit well, if I wasn't wearing two pairs of socks under my boots a small would probably be fine. Good luck with the search.

Fins by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Thanks, I was originally looking at the DR's for her, but could never find a good review of them. She's in great shape so I'm confident she could handle a stiffer fin.

I like my FF Pro's but going against the faster current was impossible in spots. I'll be looking for a new "current fin" for the same reason. Otherwise I dig my Force Fins.

Thanks, I was originally looking at the DR's for her, but could never find a good review of them. She's in great shape so I'm confident she could handle a stiffer fin.

I like my FF Pro's but going against the faster current was impossible in spots. I'll be looking for a new "current fin" for the same reason. Otherwise I dig my Force Fins.

FWIW, I'm small and not overly aerobic but have no trouble powering the DR EXTs in a current. The newer (?) Avanti Quattro + look like a nice fin and come in some pretty colours. Quattros are a very popular fin with many, the + version are supposed to be a little softer.

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

I predominately frog kick, not flutter. Stiffer fins generally require more leg strength to flutter. What kick does your wife generally use?

I predominately frog kick, not flutter. Stiffer fins generally require more leg strength to flutter. What kick does your wife generally use?

She uses mainly flutter; she's usually chasing things with a camera.

Seawing Novas, 1st version had huge failures but 2nd version looks to be holding up much better. A very light, very comfortable and very fast fin, a little soft for frog kicking but very good at flutter. I briefly owned a white pair just to see what all the fuss was about more then anything. I liked them but as they do not frog kick very well I sold them. They also come in pretty colours. Due to the potential failure at the hinge personally I wouldn't take them on a liveaboard, I'm paranoid about gear failure particular on an expensive trip in the middle of nowhere.

The Hollis F2s are a nice travel fin if you can fit them, huge foot pocket, def try on before purchasing, their size chart is rather wonky.

That sounds just like the way I dive. I have ff pros but just bought the accells due to a problem with a bone on top of my foot getting rubbed when using my ff...even with a comfort insert. A lot of people have said they were great in current....call leisure pro and see if they are still offering them for $49 over the phone. That is what I got the, for and at that price, definitely worth buying to try em.

....call leisure pro and see if they are still offering them for $49 over the phone. That is what I got the, for and at that price, definitely worth buying to try em.

For $50 I would try them in a heartbeat. My wife fell in love with Cozumel, so I know we are going back next year and therefore wont be restricted on luggage, especially being Gold status on Delta. She needs a set of primary fins as it is, so I may start with the Mares Avanti Quatro + fins and have her dive with them all summer, then if she wants a lighter fin for travel, go that route.

I also use the comfort spacer with my Force Fins. Could the bone contact have been from your boot design? I wore mine for a week with 3mm O'neill low-cut Tropic Boots and Lavacore socks. The only problem I had was the one day I didn't wear the socks; the back of my foot was rubbed raw from the stitching in the Tropic Boots. Otherwise they were great except in the fastest currents. Being able to walk around in the boat in them is also a major bonus.

I also use the comfort spacer with my Force Fins. Could the bone contact have been from your boot design? .

Unfortunately, no as I have been wearing those boots with those fins all along. :-(

I have a difficult time finding fins that fit so I was really glad that the accells fit great...with a hard sole 3mm boot. I needed to get the XS.

Back
Top Bottom