Best time of year in Cave Country?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was scheduled to be taking Cavern/Intro this week but had to put it off due to a back injury. This week was originally chosen because it could be tacked neatly onto another dive trip. Now though I have the opportunity to choose when to go just for the training. When is the best diving in Florida Cave Country in your estimation? I will be diving dry so sometime when it is not 95 degrees topside would be preferable. How much do visibility and flow change seasonally, in general? Anything else to consider in rescheduling the class? Thank you!

If we don't get torrential rains in late winter, early spring, I'd go then... before the mosquitos and hurricanes start brewing.

Spring you have rains so not always the best time to come, but sometimes its ok Summer because of the heat and rain is not the greatest Fall you still have risks of Hurricans so Winter is probably the best time.

Keep in mind usually most of the popular caves are clear regardless so all year around in reality, though you are at times taking a low risk when planning a trip that some storm might come and blow everything out.

There were lots of rains this past spring that blew everything out.

I prefer winter - usually does not flood, tubers not out in force at places like Ginnie, mesquitos are mostly absent. It can get a bit cold if you live here and are used to warm. But if you are diving dry, winter is great.

Getting in a drysuit is like torture during the non winter months. If I were planning a trip, late dec/ early Jan would certainly be it.

I think it's really hard to pick a time and know it's going to work. I've been there in early December and had a great trip, in February and been flooded out AND faced with 23 degree air temperatures, and in August and been pleased that the temperatures were only in the high 80's/low 90's. August was surprisingly pleasant, but I don't think you can count on that.

generally, fall & winter are best. summer is hot (duh), and spring tends to have enough rain to flood/blow out many caves. so, basically, what they said. :D

Good ... I'm going back in mid-February.

So far I'm still lacking a dive buddy ... wanna join me?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh man I'd love to, but I feel the need to do some strength training for the next few months to get my back to a place where I can strap on doubles again. I'm thinking next fall or winter for me. Thanks very much though!

Spring you have rains so not always the best time to come, but sometimes its ok Summer because of the heat and rain is not the greatest Fall you still have risks of Hurricans so Winter is probably the best time.

Keep in mind usually most of the popular caves are clear regardless so all year around in reality, though you are at times taking a low risk when planning a trip that some storm might come and blow everything out.

There were lots of rains this past spring that blew everything out.

While the rains may have blown out the north central Florida caves, they certainly did not blow out the caves in and around Marianna. I've only seen Jackson Blue blown out once and I dove it that day. I even took video! While the caves around High Springs and Luraville were closed, I was diving and teaching in the caves in Merritt's Mill Pond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom