"Best" Tanks for Sidemount, and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I mentioned monkey diving, just slinging one tank on the side(can't do that with heavy steels btw), its for single tank recreational diving. I really only do this when I don't want to pack two sets of gear, or if my recreational BC is spoken for...

For bigger tanks... Fabers... 85s and down, Worthingtons. Atleast IMO.

Bugman, what do you mean when you say "Heavy Steels"?

I picked up some HP100's because they weigh the same as the AL80s. Are you speaking of the weight, or the buoyancy characteristics?

True, but I'm looking to the future and the "Intro to" classes want you in doubles . .. of some sort!

Keep in mind that not all "Intro" classes will teach you in SM.

Keep in mind that not all "Intro" classes will teach you in SM.

Yes, thank you; I have a few referrals to sidemount instructors. :)

I use Lp108/HP130 with drysuit, LP95s diving wet in CONUS, LP45s diving wet with scooters just playing (see "monkey diving" previously mentioned), and I've sidemounted AL80s in Cozumel, Playa, Bonaire, and Negril.

I like having redundancy and I like having more gas as opposed to less gas. I have a set of din regs for CONUS and a set of yoke first stages that I switch to for Caribbean diving since the majority of their rental tanks are yoke.

I use a Nomad except for monkey diving. For monkey scooter diving I use a homemade (By BrockBr) setup utilizing an Oxycheq 18# wing with only a waist harness and bungees (no shoulder straps).

And lastly.....sidemount is perkier than backmount.:D

Bugman, what do you mean when you say "Heavy Steels"?

I picked up some HP100's because they weigh the same as the AL80s. Are you speaking of the weight, or the buoyancy characteristics?

Talking about in the water, I'm guessing HP100s are gonna sit you incredibly catywhompus without a matching twin on the other side of you. Ie, no monkey diving.

You can get away with it using AL80s and LP72s FWIW. Chances are, when traveling, you'll be getting AL80s regardless of what you own back at home :)

:( I don't have enough body mass to ever be able to Monkey Dive.

:giggle: That is the funniest term! Anyone know where it came from?

I dive steel 60s, steel 72s, AL 80s, Worthington LP 85s, Faber LP 95s, and Worthington LP 108s and 120s. It all depends on the dive. The 108s and 120s are reserved for trimix dives. They're simply too heavy to justify bringing them on any other dive. I can get more time out of a set of 95s and a stage than I can out of the 120s without a stage. All the tanks have different characteristics and the bands need to be adjusted accordingly. Fabers are much lighter than Worthingtons, but I love they way they dive. My 85s are more negative than my 95s.With the 60s, 72s, and 80s, I have to be in a wet suit, which works because I only use those for smaller stuff where I don't want the bulkiness of my dry suit anyway.

All cave and technical courses can be completed in sidemount configuration. However, not all instructors have the experience or qualifications to teach students in sidemount. I have heard of instructors who have no sidemount experience allowing students to complete a course in sidemount. It's unfortunate because they don't have the experience to know the specific issues a sidemount diver may face.

And James, buy a truck cart. That will shorten your walk to the water to one walk.

I dive steel 60s, steel 72s, AL 80s, Worthington LP 85s, Faber LP 95s, and Worthington LP 108s and 120s. It all depends on the dive. The 108s and 120s are reserved for trimix dives. They're simply too heavy to justify bringing them on any other dive. I can get more time out of a set of 95s and a stage than I can out of the 120s without a stage. All the tanks have different characteristics and the bands need to be adjusted accordingly. Fabers are much lighter than Worthingtons, but I love they way they dive. My 85s are more negative than my 95s.With the 60s, 72s, and 80s, I have to be in a wet suit, which works because I only use those for smaller stuff where I don't want the bulkiness of my dry suit anyway.

Will you help me understand the bolded sentence?

The Fabers (LP95s?) are much lighter than the Worthington . . . LP95s? or the LP108s? In what way?

I'm using this spec table. Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

Brought home the new pair of tanks for Mike tonight. He's in the garage, admiring his babies. LP85's, with opposing valves. :D He's looking forward to diving with them, rather than his cumbersome LP 98's.

I've got a friend with a SM rig, but I've never compared weight of it vs. just a BP. Looking at some of the clips and hardware that you have to take to make SM work, I dunno that you'd come out any lighter than just using an AL or one of the plastic BPW combos for travel.

This is an interesting point. My BPW weighs 8.2 lbs 'loaded' (all gear clipped on).

What's a Nomad w/wing setup weigh? (no can light)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom